Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special's '71 Bronco

Nothing Special

So plans changed a bit. I thought it'd take me longer to get it on the road, so I figured we'd have eaten before it was ready, so we'd go to Dairy Queen for a later dessert. But it was ready before dinner, so instead we went to Zantigo for some Minnesota-Mex.

Nothing too obvious in that shot, which was a part of what I was going for. But here are some closer looks.

I think it turned out pretty well! Lesley even likes how it looks and, at least so far, isn't too annoyed with getting in and out over it (you do tend to bump the rash rail a bit getting in especially, but it doesn't really stick out far enough to be useful as a step).

This was also the maiden voyage for the hydroboost and rear drum brakes. The pedal is very high, which I don't think is a problem, but it does start to slow down noticeably (annoyingly so) as soon as your foot touches the brake. It doesn't seem to be dragging when your foot is off the pedal, but it'll at least take some getting used to.

Other than that the brakes have great feel. They are very firm, but it still takes a fair amount of pressure to stop hard. Not too much, but enough that there's no danger of kissing the windshield when you're only looking to slow down.

It was also the maiden voyage for my Father's Day gift: the Pluto hanging from the mirror (the magnet on the ash tray has been there a couple years already)

Awesome! Man, that turned out great! I'll bet that is better than you even dreamed. :nabble_anim_claps:

And it looks like Lesley agrees. She sure has a big smile. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! Man, that turned out great! I'll bet that is better than you even dreamed. :nabble_anim_claps:

And it looks like Lesley agrees. She sure has a big smile. :nabble_smiley_good:

A big reason for the smile is that the Bronco and I are both out of the garage! This (and the driver's side, and the carb rebuild) were supposed to be done over the winter, and now it's mid-July before we can use the Bronco! I've decided that I'm not going to start on the driver's side for a while. I had to do the passenger side because the body was sagging so much that the door was binding. But the driver's side is still usable. It was one month ago today that I started on the passenger side. I want to be able to enjoy the Bronco some this summer rather than be working on the driver's side until some time in August.

A big reason for the smile is that the Bronco and I are both out of the garage! This (and the driver's side, and the carb rebuild) were supposed to be done over the winter, and now it's mid-July before we can use the Bronco! I've decided that I'm not going to start on the driver's side for a while. I had to do the passenger side because the body was sagging so much that the door was binding. But the driver's side is still usable. It was one month ago today that I started on the passenger side. I want to be able to enjoy the Bronco some this summer rather than be working on the driver's side until some time in August.

I understand. Trust me, I really understand. Enjoy it.

Top down (off?) In the sun, and a beautiful woman with a big smile!

I would say life is very good right now. :nabble_anim_jump:

Congratulations on a job well done! :nabble_smiley_good:

You deserve to take some time and enjoy it.

AND you don't have to puzzle through your approach on the left side.

I do hope you had the foresight to bend two rash rails..

I would say life is very good right now. :nabble_anim_jump:....

Yep, that's why I have it!

....AND you don't have to puzzle through your approach on the left side.

I figure if the first side took a month the second ought to take 2 - 3 weeks. And yes, I have all of the material, including the bent rash rail (waiting on that and getting the steel tube took several of the 31 days for the first one)

I would say life is very good right now. :nabble_anim_jump:....

Yep, that's why I have it!

....AND you don't have to puzzle through your approach on the left side.

I figure if the first side took a month the second ought to take 2 - 3 weeks. And yes, I have all of the material, including the bent rash rail (waiting on that and getting the steel tube took several of the 31 days for the first one)

... Dairy Queen was tonight!

Sorry, no pics. But it really did happen!

Yeah, right. That's what they all say. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, that must be a blast. Big Blue is a bit large for easily slipping into stalls at Sonic, although he will fit if you are careful. So we don't take my project truck there very often. But Janey asked last night when we'll be taking it out and I said "Maybe in August." :nabble_anim_jump:

Yeah, right. That's what they all say. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, that must be a blast. Big Blue is a bit large for easily slipping into stalls at Sonic, although he will fit if you are careful. So we don't take my project truck there very often. But Janey asked last night when we'll be taking it out and I said "Maybe in August." :nabble_anim_jump:

With most restaurants only open for drive-through we just did the DQ drive-through and drove back home while we drank our shakes. So not really an opportunity to take a picture even if I had brought a camera.

But yeah, I get the struggle of taking a full-size truck to a drive-in. Today I had to run past the bank on my way to work to deposit a couple of checks. With my crew cab F-250 I often park in the lot and go to the walk-up ATM. In the Bronco today the drive-through ATM is a piece of cake!

And hey, August isn't far away! How long has it been since Big Blue's been on the road? I know you're looking forward to driving him, because I know how I felt getting my Bronco out after being parked since November!