Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special's '71 Bronco

Nothing Special

OK, so it was even more difficult than I had thought. Wild Horses didn't have it in stock, so they sent me to Dutchman. Dutchman won't sell them anymore because "they don't want to cause problems for people." they say the bearing is to thin and doesn't last. Well I've got about 20 years on this pair and only failed one now. I'd rather have that kind of problem than having to get at least new axle shafts if not a new differential (if I'd need to downgrade to 28 spline shafts).

But they did give me a part number from strange Engineering and I was able to order it from Summit Racing. Maybe now it's just waiting for it to arrive???

Man, what a pain! This is because you have the smaller tubes with the bigger axles? :nabble_anim_confused:

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, what a pain! This is because you have the smaller tubes with the bigger axles? :nabble_anim_confused:

Not exactly, but yes. I think the tubes on all Bronco 9" axles are the same, but at the end of the tubes the later ones (after about '75???) expand out. So the earlier ones (like mine) have a smaller OD bearing (2.83") and the later ones have a larger OD bearing (~3.14").

The shafts are also different, with the small bearing axles having a ~1.38" diameter through the bearing while the large bearing axles have ~1.53".

But I'm running axles even larger than that. Mine are 1.562" at the bearing.

Stock axle shafts in both the small and large bearing axles have 28 splines. I'm running 31 splines. The guy who wouldn't sell me the bearing I need said it is possible to run 31 spline axles in a standard ID "small bearing." Obviously that would require new shafts. But I don't really think the OD of the splined section is less than the 1.38" of the bearing ID. So maybe I can get a set of spare shafts that will take a more common size bearing??? Or maybe not???

Anyway, for now I just want to get it running with the axle shafts I have. And hopefully I'm getting the parts I need to do that.

Not exactly, but yes. I think the tubes on all Bronco 9" axles are the same, but at the end of the tubes the later ones (after about '75???) expand out. So the earlier ones (like mine) have a smaller OD bearing (2.83") and the later ones have a larger OD bearing (~3.14").

The shafts are also different, with the small bearing axles having a ~1.38" diameter through the bearing while the large bearing axles have ~1.53".

But I'm running axles even larger than that. Mine are 1.562" at the bearing.

Stock axle shafts in both the small and large bearing axles have 28 splines. I'm running 31 splines. The guy who wouldn't sell me the bearing I need said it is possible to run 31 spline axles in a standard ID "small bearing." Obviously that would require new shafts. But I don't really think the OD of the splined section is less than the 1.38" of the bearing ID. So maybe I can get a set of spare shafts that will take a more common size bearing??? Or maybe not???

Anyway, for now I just want to get it running with the axle shafts I have. And hopefully I'm getting the parts I need to do that.

Here's hoping it works! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Here's hoping it works! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

The parts came today, and the look and measure the same as what was on there, so I think I've got what I need!

Tonight I cut off the old parts. A 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel made quick work of the outer race and the locking ring. I cut most of the way through with the wheel and then whacked it with a chisel to crack it the rest of the way. The locking ring slid off after it cracked, but I had to cut the outer race in a second place because it wouldn't slide over the balls.

I couldn't get very far into the inner race with the angle grinder. The large dia wheel was going to bite the axle shaft if I did. So I used a 1" cutoff wheel in a little air-powered die grinder, with the chisel finishing the job again.

Cleaning the shaft up wrapped up tonight's efforts. I'll bring it and the new bearing and locking ring to work tomorrow so I can put them on with a hydraulic press. Then with a little luck I should be able to put it back in tomorrow night!

I was surprised how good the old bearings look. Not that they look good, there's definite wear on both races and on the balls. But nowhere near as much as I expected for the amount of slop in them.

IMG_20230815_192144672.thumb.jpg.8038b112b6f23cd57c5fa4e06787d207.jpg

The parts came today, and the look and measure the same as what was on there, so I think I've got what I need!

Tonight I cut off the old parts. A 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel made quick work of the outer race and the locking ring. I cut most of the way through with the wheel and then whacked it with a chisel to crack it the rest of the way. The locking ring slid off after it cracked, but I had to cut the outer race in a second place because it wouldn't slide over the balls.

I couldn't get very far into the inner race with the angle grinder. The large dia wheel was going to bite the axle shaft if I did. So I used a 1" cutoff wheel in a little air-powered die grinder, with the chisel finishing the job again.

Cleaning the shaft up wrapped up tonight's efforts. I'll bring it and the new bearing and locking ring to work tomorrow so I can put them on with a hydraulic press. Then with a little luck I should be able to put it back in tomorrow night!

I was surprised how good the old bearings look. Not that they look good, there's definite wear on both races and on the balls. But nowhere near as much as I expected for the amount of slop in them.

Bob - Those balls and races aren't "gone", but sure don't look good. And particularly the balls. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Glad you are replacing them. Hope you get things together today. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Bob - Those balls and races aren't "gone", but sure don't look good. And particularly the balls. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Glad you are replacing them. Hope you get things together today. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Yeah, they've been making noise for at least a year, and the surfaces are clearly shot. No question it was past time to replace the bearing. I just expected it to have a lot more missing material for how much slop was in the bearing.

Yeah, they've been making noise for at least a year, and the surfaces are clearly shot. No question it was past time to replace the bearing. I just expected it to have a lot more missing material for how much slop was in the bearing.

It's back together and it's quiet!

Pressing the new bearing and ring on was pretty easy with a 25 ton hydraulic press. The only challenge was getting a good support under it as I didn't have a thick plate with a 1.6" hole, but it worked out in the end.

Getting the shaft back in the housing was easy. And I even had enough gear lube on hand to refill it (barely)!

It is funny driving it. I hadn't realized how much I was accustomed to the bearing noise. It almost sounds wrong without it! I'm sure I'll adapt!

Pressing the new bearing and ring on was pretty easy with a 25 ton hydraulic press. The only challenge was getting a good support under it as I didn't have a thick plate with a 1.6" hole, but it worked out in the end.

Getting the shaft back in the housing was easy. And I even had enough gear lube on hand to refill it (barely)!

It is funny driving it. I hadn't realized how much I was accustomed to the bearing noise. It almost sounds wrong without it! I'm sure I'll adapt!

Congrat's! :nabble_anim_claps:

Glad you had some good luck to close out the repair! :nabble_anim_jump:

Of course now you'll be able to hear some new troubling sound. (I suggest you turn up the radio)