Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special's '71 Bronco

Nothing Special

It's ready to drive!

Tonight I got the aux tank in and checked most of the fluids. Then I put the front tires on and measured the toe-in. I was a little off in my estimate before. It was about 3.5". I set it to roughly 1/4" and figure I'll call it good at that for now. I'll be putting the conversion tie rod on it before taking it in for an alignment, but I wanted to get it close enough to drive.

I was really hoping to drive it tonight, and maybe take it to work tomorrow. But it was going to be after 9:00 before I had it out of the garage. And I didn't really want to take it for its first drive in the rain after dark. So I've got something to look forward to when we get back from the cabin!

Excellent! :nabble_anim_claps: :nabble_anim_jump:

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent! :nabble_anim_claps: :nabble_anim_jump:

DSC_3851.jpg.b548dad8203b4f43da040304f1acf964.jpg

Nothing special about that picture. But since you're reading this thread you know the back story and know just how special it is! The Bronco is on all fours and out of the garage!

The new conversion tie rod came over the weekend so I put it in (sorta wish I hadn't bought or installed the tapered bushings now...). That took a while, mostly because the tie rod was too long and I didn't realize it until I'd already installed it. So I got to do it twice. I think it's intentionally too long for a stock width Bronco axle so it can also work if the axle wasn't narrowed as much. And the threads on the ens are plenty long, so I could trim a little off and it was fine.

The test drive brought up a few things that need doing. The clutch is way out of adjustment (not surprising when the linkage is mounted between the frame and the engine and I've moved the engine). And the steering is really vague. Until proven otherwise I'm going to believe that it's that the toe is isn't set well. Tomorrow I'll call to get an appointment at the alignment shop.

And I still need to install the shifter boots, hook the hand throttle up again and probably a bunch of other little things.

But it's on the road!

Nothing special about that picture. But since you're reading this thread you know the back story and know just how special it is! The Bronco is on all fours and out of the garage!

The new conversion tie rod came over the weekend so I put it in (sorta wish I hadn't bought or installed the tapered bushings now...). That took a while, mostly because the tie rod was too long and I didn't realize it until I'd already installed it. So I got to do it twice. I think it's intentionally too long for a stock width Bronco axle so it can also work if the axle wasn't narrowed as much. And the threads on the ens are plenty long, so I could trim a little off and it was fine.

The test drive brought up a few things that need doing. The clutch is way out of adjustment (not surprising when the linkage is mounted between the frame and the engine and I've moved the engine). And the steering is really vague. Until proven otherwise I'm going to believe that it's that the toe is isn't set well. Tomorrow I'll call to get an appointment at the alignment shop.

And I still need to install the shifter boots, hook the hand throttle up again and probably a bunch of other little things.

But it's on the road!

Nice! Great job!

Nothing special about that picture.

I like it! Nothing Special says "Nothing special..." :nabble_smiley_wink:

That was intentional! But it does illustrate my thoughts around my screen name. None of my vehicles will ever deserve a feature in a magazine. I'm not doing anything that lots of people haven't done before me. But it is pretty special building something that works well for me!

Seriously, it looks great! And it must feel great as well to get it together again, especially with as many changes as you've made. Congratulations!!!

Nice! Great job!

And thanks! Yes it does feel very good. Now to get everything wrapped up in the next two weeks (while also building a fence!) before vacation!

One of these would be nice but it would not take much to build one.

https://www.tmrcustoms.com/collections/tool-organizers/products/diy-toe-alignment-tool

If I end up needing to set toe-in somewhat frequently it would be well worth having. But in this case I knew I wanted to get it to an alignment shop to see what I'd done to the caster and camber anyway, so I didn't spend much time at all on toe-in. As long as it was good enough to drive it to the alignment shop (which is where it is today).

I'm finally starting on my "winter" project....

For grins I looked back to see where this particular odyssey started. 8 pages back, on page 16, I documented on March 26 that I had started by removing the transmission and transfer case. Almost exactly 5 months later I finally finished my "winter" project just before the end of summer!

I'm finally starting on my "winter" project....

For grins I looked back to see where this particular odyssey started. 8 pages back, on page 16, I documented on March 26 that I had started by removing the transmission and transfer case. Almost exactly 5 months later I finally finished my "winter" project just before the end of summer!

You got a lot done in that time. And you'll certainly enjoy it, I'm sure.

As for the ability to look back and see what you've done, I'd be both lost & sad w/o it. Lost because there are many, many times I want to know what I did. Sad because I know I've done a lot but don't really remember what all I've done until I take a trip down Memory Lane.

So I'm happy to continue to document my journeys, and I'm glad you are doing it as well 'cause I get to take the journey with you. :nabble_smiley_good: