Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special's '71 Bronco

Nothing Special

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... See if the cylinders will go in. I'll bet they will.

Not even close. The cylinder OD is bigger that the OD of the screw. It won't even fit in the hole the screw goes into much less go into the hole in the screw.

But a guy on the Bronco forum said he has extras and offered to mail me one :nabble_smiley_good:! So I should be good there soon!

.... See if the cylinders will go in. I'll bet they will.

Not even close. The cylinder OD is bigger that the OD of the screw. It won't even fit in the hole the screw goes into much less go into the hole in the screw.

But a guy on the Bronco forum said he has extras and offered to mail me one :nabble_smiley_good:! So I should be good there soon!

Good plan. I might have one if that doesn't work out.

Good plan. I might have one if that doesn't work out.

Thank you! He PMd me and said it's been sent though, so I should be good.

Today I took a little break from the carb work and replaced the radiator. I was getting a little steam out of the seam between the tank and a tube. I thought of taking it to a radiator shop for repair (it's a good copper/brass radiator). But getting a new radiator would minimize the down-time, so I did that.

Also that radiator never really fit right. It's a 4-core so it's thicker than stock. And the lower end of the driver's side tank doesn't taper down like the tank on the stock 3-core. Both of those reduce the clearance with the steering box. Plus my Bronco has an older power steering conversion using the steering box from an F-series truck which is probably the biggest steering box anyone ever puts in early Broncos. So I ended up with about " of interference between the 4-core and the steering box. I made it work a few years ago, but I was never really happy with it. So another reason to get a new radiator (I went stock 3-core this time).

Everything went pretty good on the swap until I hooked up the top hose. That's when it hit the fan. The top hose that is. The hose wasn't long enough to reach the thinner 3-core without getting pulled too far forward into the fan. Hoping that I had trimmed that hose off to work better with the 4-core I bought a new one, but it was the same. So I cut the two hoses and coupled them together to make one hose that works.

Anyway, it's back together now, and no leaks while idling as I picked up. I'll top off the radiator after it cools and then take it for a drive at some point.

Thank you! He PMd me and said it's been sent though, so I should be good.

Today I took a little break from the carb work and replaced the radiator. I was getting a little steam out of the seam between the tank and a tube. I thought of taking it to a radiator shop for repair (it's a good copper/brass radiator). But getting a new radiator would minimize the down-time, so I did that.

Also that radiator never really fit right. It's a 4-core so it's thicker than stock. And the lower end of the driver's side tank doesn't taper down like the tank on the stock 3-core. Both of those reduce the clearance with the steering box. Plus my Bronco has an older power steering conversion using the steering box from an F-series truck which is probably the biggest steering box anyone ever puts in early Broncos. So I ended up with about " of interference between the 4-core and the steering box. I made it work a few years ago, but I was never really happy with it. So another reason to get a new radiator (I went stock 3-core this time).

Everything went pretty good on the swap until I hooked up the top hose. That's when it hit the fan. The top hose that is. The hose wasn't long enough to reach the thinner 3-core without getting pulled too far forward into the fan. Hoping that I had trimmed that hose off to work better with the 4-core I bought a new one, but it was the same. So I cut the two hoses and coupled them together to make one hose that works.

Anyway, it's back together now, and no leaks while idling as I picked up. I'll top off the radiator after it cools and then take it for a drive at some point.

Glad he's gotten it in the mail. Hope it does the trick.

Sounds like you got the radiator problem solved several ways - more room, no leaks, and still plenty of cooling for the vehicle. :nabble_smiley_good:

You put the #55's in but haven't driven with them, right? It'll be good to see what that does before you put the weight on top of the accelerator pump check ball. The 55's may enrichen enough that there isn't much/any pause there.

.... You put the #55's in but haven't driven with them, right? ....

Correct. I did start it and let it idle in the driveway for a bit. Not really a test, but I did push the choke in all the way pretty quickly and it still high idled fine.

I think I'll be driving it some tomorrow.

So far so good!

A little putting around town on the weekend. Never enough to get it completely warmed up, but I could get the choke pushed all the way in and let the idle back down and it was still running smoothly everywhere I was driving it, including idle.

Then today I drove it to work. Pretty cold morning, so maybe still not getting the engine as hot as it might. But again, everything it smooth, no hesitation, no stumbles, no flat spots!

With how quick I can get the choke all the way in I suspect I'm running rich now on the 55 jets. Once I get the checkball weight I think I'll put that and the 52 jets in it. And I'm pretty sure I'll use the 52s (if not the 50s) for the trip out to Moab (elevation 4000 feet and up).

But it's running really good right now!

So far so good!

A little putting around town on the weekend. Never enough to get it completely warmed up, but I could get the choke pushed all the way in and let the idle back down and it was still running smoothly everywhere I was driving it, including idle.

Then today I drove it to work. Pretty cold morning, so maybe still not getting the engine as hot as it might. But again, everything it smooth, no hesitation, no stumbles, no flat spots!

With how quick I can get the choke all the way in I suspect I'm running rich now on the 55 jets. Once I get the checkball weight I think I'll put that and the 52 jets in it. And I'm pretty sure I'll use the 52s (if not the 50s) for the trip out to Moab (elevation 4000 feet and up).

Wonderful! I really thought it would run well with a bit more fuel, so am glad it is. And I agree you should lean it a bit for Moab if you can push the choke off quickly. So maybe the weight and the 52's will be just right.

So far so good!

Good news!

Good news!

Does anybody have a rule of thumb for how many jet sizes to drop for how much change in elevation? I've found a few different suggestions ranging from 1 size per 2000 feet to 1 size per 5000 feet. I'm thinking the difference is due to what engine/carb they are talking about. But I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a 2100 on a 302?