Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special's '71 Bronco

Nothing Special

Progress!!!! :nabble_anim_jump: Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

I sure don't envy you doing that on your back. Yuk! :nabble_smiley_oh:

But it does look like you'll get it done for your trip. That is great!

And being on my back a lot was more challenging than it might have been. (I was avoiding putting medical stuff on the internet, but Lesley has put all of this on Facebook, so feel free to skip this if you don't care to hear about my medical issues, but...)

Back in March I was (mis)diagnosed with a viral infection and told to let it run its course. Several days of getting worse later I had a fever of 104.4 and ended up in the hospital for three days with a (bacterial) kidney infection, likely related to the kidney stone they found in a scan. The stone was attached to the kidney wall, so it didn't move and therefore wasn't at all painful, but they wanted to get it out. (I don't know exactly how big the stone was, but in the scan they showed me it was about the same size as a vertebra :nabble_smiley_scared:). So they sent me home to get the infection cleared up with antibiotics and then to schedule surgery to remove the stone.

That surgery was a couple weeks ago. They ran into a lot more inflamation than they expected, for a while were going to remove the kidney, but decided they could put in a drain to (hopefully) let things clear up. So I have a tube coming out of my back now. Not fun on a creeper!. Friday I go in to have another scan and see how my kidney is doing. Best case is it's doing great and they take the tube out and I'm done. Likely scenario is they need to put a stent in that will have to come out at some point in the fairly near future. And I'm not going to worry about any scenarios worse than that unless I have to.

And being on my back a lot was more challenging than it might have been. (I was avoiding putting medical stuff on the internet, but Lesley has put all of this on Facebook, so feel free to skip this if you don't care to hear about my medical issues, but...)

Back in March I was (mis)diagnosed with a viral infection and told to let it run its course. Several days of getting worse later I had a fever of 104.4 and ended up in the hospital for three days with a (bacterial) kidney infection, likely related to the kidney stone they found in a scan. The stone was attached to the kidney wall, so it didn't move and therefore wasn't at all painful, but they wanted to get it out. (I don't know exactly how big the stone was, but in the scan they showed me it was about the same size as a vertebra :nabble_smiley_scared:). So they sent me home to get the infection cleared up with antibiotics and then to schedule surgery to remove the stone.

That surgery was a couple weeks ago. They ran into a lot more inflamation than they expected, for a while were going to remove the kidney, but decided they could put in a drain to (hopefully) let things clear up. So I have a tube coming out of my back now. Not fun on a creeper!. Friday I go in to have another scan and see how my kidney is doing. Best case is it's doing great and they take the tube out and I'm done. Likely scenario is they need to put a stent in that will have to come out at some point in the fairly near future. And I'm not going to worry about any scenarios worse than that unless I have to.

Sorry to hear that and hope all goes well on the next visit but at least you know there is an end.

I need injections in 1 eye every 4 weeks right now but last 2 times it has been getting worst and may be changed to every 3 weeks.

What ever it is I need the injections for the rest of my life if I want to keep my eye and it has kind of grown on me over the last 61 years LOL

Because of my eye I have a hard time passing my medical for my truck lic. / CDL so every year I have to go for fancy tests and send the DMV the results and hope I can get a waver to keep my CDL and my job.

It no fun getting old :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Good luck

Dave ---

Sorry to hear that and hope all goes well on the next visit but at least you know there is an end.

I need injections in 1 eye every 4 weeks right now but last 2 times it has been getting worst and may be changed to every 3 weeks.

What ever it is I need the injections for the rest of my life if I want to keep my eye and it has kind of grown on me over the last 61 years LOL

Because of my eye I have a hard time passing my medical for my truck lic. / CDL so every year I have to go for fancy tests and send the DMV the results and hope I can get a waver to keep my CDL and my job.

It no fun getting old :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Good luck

Dave ---

Yeah, what I'm going through isn't fun, but there are so many people dealing with so much worse. A friend of mine had three strokes a couple years ago (56 years old at the time). To others he seems fine now, but he's got issues he'll be dealing with for the rest of his life. Another friend (lower 60s) had a heart attack, was in a coma for over a month and now has significantly less energy and stamina as he goes through life. Lesley has a friend who's husband (mid 50s) was diagnosed with cancer just over a year ago. He's now stage 4 and has months to live.

As I said earlier in this thread, "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."

As I said earlier in this thread, "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."

It's how we cope with our issues :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

A little more progress tonight. I ground down the welds on the door sill. The result is FAR from perfect, but that seems pretty perfect to me. The metal warped a bit around the plug welds so trying to get it smooth would be impossible without resorting to body filler, and that's not what this project is about. I still need to do a bunch of clean-up with a wire wheel, on the door sills, the rocker and underneath before it's ready for paint. But it's pushing 100 degrees here now, so grinding these welds out was enough for tonight.

DSC_1780.jpg.bb4c8b66823092c3b1805ca2423f1e09.jpg

A little more progress tonight. I ground down the welds on the door sill. The result is FAR from perfect, but that seems pretty perfect to me. The metal warped a bit around the plug welds so trying to get it smooth would be impossible without resorting to body filler, and that's not what this project is about. I still need to do a bunch of clean-up with a wire wheel, on the door sills, the rocker and underneath before it's ready for paint. But it's pushing 100 degrees here now, so grinding these welds out was enough for tonight.

That looks good!

Ouch! That sounds like a lot of pain and worry!

And while you are right that others have had worse, when it is you or your beloved it is still a big deal. So I'll keep you in my prayers that the upcoming scan shows that the kidney is improving very well and the tube can come out.

As for the work you are doing, it looks great! :nabble_anim_claps:

Ouch! That sounds like a lot of pain and worry!

And while you are right that others have had worse, when it is you or your beloved it is still a big deal. So I'll keep you in my prayers that the upcoming scan shows that the kidney is improving very well and the tube can come out.

As for the work you are doing, it looks great! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks to both of you!

On the rock rail, it's coming along at least as well as, and a whole lot faster than, the passenger side I did last year. So I'm really happy with it.

On my health issues, actually once I was past the infection back in March there's been very little pain, and I haven't really been worried. The worst pain I've had in the past 2 weeks is due to the tape holding gauze on my back. The skin is getting a bit raw from taking that off and putting clean on every day. So mostly it's more like discomfort and annoyance than fear and worry. But I'll still be glad to get past this! And I'll definitely take any prayers that are offered!

Thanks to both of you!

On the rock rail, it's coming along at least as well as, and a whole lot faster than, the passenger side I did last year. So I'm really happy with it.

On my health issues, actually once I was past the infection back in March there's been very little pain, and I haven't really been worried. The worst pain I've had in the past 2 weeks is due to the tape holding gauze on my back. The skin is getting a bit raw from taking that off and putting clean on every day. So mostly it's more like discomfort and annoyance than fear and worry. But I'll still be glad to get past this! And I'll definitely take any prayers that are offered!

That’s good to hear! Prayers!

I was in the hospital and back home now (out-patient procedure). The tube is gone :nabble_smiley_good: but they did have to place the stent, and the plan isn't to take it out for about 6-8 weeks :nabble_smiley_unhappy:. I had been told before more like 2 weeks. Right now I feel worse than I did yesterday (again better described as discomfort than pain). Hopefully that's due to the procedure and the anesthesia, both of which I should recover from quickly. But I was told to expect some discomfort from the presence of the stent. Which could make it a long 6-8 weeks.

But I've only been home for 3 hours, and I an improving. Not needing to rip tape off my back a couple times a day is a big improvement. And I'm one big step closer to the end of all of this. So that's all good.