Bullnose Forums

A/C Installation

Getting ready to install the a/c components back in the 86 Supercab. Left them off for awhile so I didn't have to work around them

Everything was hooked up when I got the truck but I never tried the 86 and I only had it during the winter before I took it apart. I believe the PO said it needed charged.

I had the evaporator tested before reinstall and it checked out.

Installed a new core and a new accumulator

The accumulator is installed but is using the old oring since I just needed to get it installed to ensure my heater core shut off valve cleared it.

I have ordered the MT2526 oring kit.

Currently-

The evaporator is installed with the tubes plugged

The core is installed with the bottom tube plugged

The accumulator is temporarily hooked to the core top tube. The curved port on the accumulator and the valve nipple are plugged

I found some info from Archion on FTE stating:

.On the orifice tube, you would want a red tube for a standard cab, and an orange tube for an extended cab/crew cab. If you live in an extremely hot area, I would recommend the VOV, variable orifice valve, it automatically adjusts according to the needs placed on the system, but is not really needed unless your in a more extreme climate. To adjust the cutoff pressure you use the small straight slot screw between the contacts on the switch., the one on the accumulator.

Here is some info on the tubes, color, orifice size tolerance and Four Seasons part #.

Blue - .0655-.0685 - FS Part # 38621

Red - .0605-.0655 - FS Part # 38635

Orange - .056-.059 - FS Part # 38639

VOV - for under 105 degree averages - FS Part # 38902

VOV - for over 105 degree averages - FS Part # 38904

Any reason to not go with the VOV 38902 over the orange 38639?

I haven't ever worked with a/c so any advice is welcomed. My neighbor has done vehicle a/c repair for years and is going to help but I'd like to had a good idea going in.

Right now I don't know what questions to ask on here to ensure I am prepared to take the truck to him.

Can I install everything or do I need to leave some things undone?

The orifice tube (BTW, I believe the post from FTE was made by Archion) the cab size and location of your truck come into play. I think I have the blue orifice tube in Darth and I am on Virginia's Eastern Shore, so humidity can be very close to 100% in the summer. Darth's AC will freeze you, even on a hot day in heavy traffic. I ran him for quite a while on an R134a conversion, then scored a 1996 system and installed it with a new condenser for a 1994-1996/7 truck so I now have a complete R134a system.

The orifice tube (BTW, I believe the post from FTE was made by Archion) the cab size and location of your truck come into play. I think I have the blue orifice tube in Darth and I am on Virginia's Eastern Shore, so humidity can be very close to 100% in the summer. Darth's AC will freeze you, even on a hot day in heavy traffic. I ran him for quite a while on an R134a conversion, then scored a 1996 system and installed it with a new condenser for a 1994-1996/7 truck so I now have a complete R134a system.

You're right - I meant to look up the name and give credit but forgot. Updated it now.

Located in Southwest Missouri. Truck is a Supercab.

So anyone have an answer on this?

What does the AC guy next door say?

AC is the next project on my truck and have wondered on the valves.

If one is good then the other must be better no?

Dave ----

Dave ----

I will shoot him a text now. I did some looking online and it seemed like a lot preferred the fixed one over the VOV for the simplicity of it and mantra of fewer moving parts.

I will shoot him a text now. I did some looking online and it seemed like a lot preferred the fixed one over the VOV for the simplicity of it and mantra of fewer moving parts.

My nephew, an engineer and someone that has done quite a bit of A/C work, thinks the VOV is a good idea. He's seen them work nicely in other vehicles, but hasn't done one in a Ford.

Having said that, he isn't a professional A/C guy. So I'm anxious to see what your neighbor says, Scott.

Dave ----

When I redid the AC on my Bronco in 2002, it blew a hose. I replaced the hoses, the dryer, the orface tube( I put the blue one back in it as it was the stock one) I flushed the system and converted the system to R134. With all of this done, on a 119 deg day in Phoenix, we had to turn it down to keep from freezing.

To quote Mr Scott from Star Treck, " The more you mess with the plumbing, the easer it is to stop up the drain ".

One I learned in the Army, the hard way I might add, KISS...…………..Keep It Simple Stupid...… Ford engeneared it that way for a reason, and as we all know, Ford always had a better idea.:nabble_smiley_whistling: