Bullnose Forums

HBF comes out of retirement

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No prob. All any member on here has to do is click another member's "handle" above the avatar and say Send Email. It doesn't divulge your email address.

Brain trust...I'm struggling finding a Bullnose Era 8.8 rear end with 3.55 gears and limited slip. It seems like there are plenty of open 3.55's out there but the limited slip is a unicorn. Or at least the 7 surrounding junkyards only have open 3.55's (or none at all).

I found a door code H6 which seemed to be the 9inch front bolted pinion. And, several door code 19's. But, can the brain trust verify that I'd want an H9 door code?

I mentioned before that I had a lead on a 1994 H9 but on closer inspection there was a large flange coming out from the pinion and the flange held the yoke for the universal join. I went on to scrounge around the local junkyard for more F150 rear ends and anything from the 90's and on up has the flange situation. So, then I might have to deal with a new driveshaft length and what not.

I'd like to keep it simple. So, is a Bullnose "door code H9" ridiculously rare? Should I just go with a "door code 19"?

Brain trust...I'm struggling finding a Bullnose Era 8.8 rear end with 3.55 gears and limited slip. It seems like there are plenty of open 3.55's out there but the limited slip is a unicorn. Or at least the 7 surrounding junkyards only have open 3.55's (or none at all).

I found a door code H6 which seemed to be the 9inch front bolted pinion. And, several door code 19's. But, can the brain trust verify that I'd want an H9 door code?

I mentioned before that I had a lead on a 1994 H9 but on closer inspection there was a large flange coming out from the pinion and the flange held the yoke for the universal join. I went on to scrounge around the local junkyard for more F150 rear ends and anything from the 90's and on up has the flange situation. So, then I might have to deal with a new driveshaft length and what not.

I'd like to keep it simple. So, is a Bullnose "door code H9" ridiculously rare? Should I just go with a "door code 19"?

Yes, certification label H9 means 8.8" 3.55 limited slip.

H9_Axle_Door_Code.thumb.jpg.f0a7908bfbeccdf15ca1b6af8b06b6c0.jpg

Why can't you just put your pinion yoke on the '94 rear?

It will have a VSS (tone ring carrier) too, but you don't need to use it.

I would look up the pinion gear on Yukon or something and see if those years have the same spline and length.

It doesn't make much sense that Ford would have changed it.

I changed the differential on my 84 with one from a 96, 84 no flange, 96 flange. Everything bolted right in and the drive shaft fit like a charm.

This change was from an 84, 3.55 open to a 96 3.55 open, 8.8.

• 3 months later...

I changed the differential on my 84 with one from a 96, 84 no flange, 96 flange. Everything bolted right in and the drive shaft fit like a charm.

This change was from an 84, 3.55 open to a 96 3.55 open, 8.8.

IMG_7723.thumb.jpg.adb8b3bea7fa7c671b4a44b7edb9a76f.jpg

Well, HBF has been in the shop for a bit but finally broke free this weekend. One of the first projects was to dissect out the build sheet from underneath the bench seat. Can anyone help with this interpretation?