Bullnose Forums

HBF comes out of retirement

If the TPS is holding the throttle open, then something is wrong, TPS, the drive tang on the shaft for it, assembled wrong, or even bent.

Ok. I’ll pull it off and try to figure out what I did wrong with the TPS! Thank you!

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I’ll pull it off and try to figure out what I did wrong with the TPS! Thank you!

Aloha and sorry to be a stranger on this site! I haven’t sorted out my TPS issue and the wife says I have to get the steering sloppiness fixed. And, I have to get a new radiator. And, a bunch other things… however, I kinda wanna do something else first…

I’m curious if anyone has some dimensions on the stake pockets readily available… the location of a table saw, bandsaw, and router is a bit of a drive and I’d rather drive a different vehicle to the location versus HBF. But, I do recognize that having the pockets readily available to analyze as I cut wood would be ideal.

And, it might come down to a skill saw, hand saw, and a sharp eye (and a little luck.)

But, in general, anyone have any good dimensions?!?

Aloha and sorry to be a stranger on this site! I haven’t sorted out my TPS issue and the wife says I have to get the steering sloppiness fixed. And, I have to get a new radiator. And, a bunch other things… however, I kinda wanna do something else first…

I’m curious if anyone has some dimensions on the stake pockets readily available… the location of a table saw, bandsaw, and router is a bit of a drive and I’d rather drive a different vehicle to the location versus HBF. But, I do recognize that having the pockets readily available to analyze as I cut wood would be ideal.

And, it might come down to a skill saw, hand saw, and a sharp eye (and a little luck.)

But, in general, anyone have any good dimensions?!?

You may find what you need on page 6 of the body builders specifications.

But this is not a short bed. 🤷

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-body-builders.html

I do see to front stake pocket (L3) stake pocket C-C (L5) for the 6 3/4' bed on the top right of the page.

C0F6C608-0C62-458D-8229-3104ECB567C7.png.e1354befe858b1bfa809a122166055b6.png

Thank you!!!! I think the front one and the rear one are a little different. Probably best to drive HBF to the woodshop so I can make them fit as best as possible when I’m cutting.

Thank you!!!! I think the front one and the rear one are a little different. Probably best to drive HBF to the woodshop so I can make them fit as best as possible when I’m cutting.

You think the pockets aren't 1.42 x 2.24"?

The 6 3/4' dimensions (L5 & L3) should be correct at 7.52" front of bed to C and 73.04 C-C

Screenshot_2023-10-07-15-54-54-746.thumb.jpeg.843c1c5a981b5d9a0a25999c002811e7.jpeg

You think the pockets aren't 1.42 x 2.24"?

The 6 3/4' dimensions (L5 & L3) should be correct at 7.52" front of bed to C and 73.04 C-C

Well, it seems like the front pockets are a different size than the rear pockets. But, I figured it out! The actual cut rectangles in the rail seem to be all about the same. But, the rectangles have received a bunch of wear and tear. And, then the bed rails have shifted in their position relative to the pocket! Each wooden stake is gonna have to be “custom”!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems like the front pockets are a different size than the rear pockets. But, I figured it out! The actual cut rectangles in the rail seem to be all about the same. But, the rectangles have received a bunch of wear and tear. And, then the bed rails have shifted in their position relative to the pocket! Each wooden stake is gonna have to be “custom”!

Well, trying to get HBF tuned up for the wife and she’s comfortable driving it. I learned about an adjustment on the steering box and was able to rotate the screw clockwise a 1/4 turn then another 1/4 turn. Seems to be a little better. A bit more responsive than previously where I able to turn the steering wheel about half a turn before it would start turning. Now, I can move the steering wheel about a quarter turn before it starts turning. Waiting on the wife for a test drive!

But, a some questions for the gang here…Does the adjustment screw alter the hydraulic pressures? Might I just be creating a problem with the pump and the seals by doing that?

Well, trying to get HBF tuned up for the wife and she’s comfortable driving it. I learned about an adjustment on the steering box and was able to rotate the screw clockwise a 1/4 turn then another 1/4 turn. Seems to be a little better. A bit more responsive than previously where I able to turn the steering wheel about half a turn before it would start turning. Now, I can move the steering wheel about a quarter turn before it starts turning. Waiting on the wife for a test drive!

But, a some questions for the gang here…Does the adjustment screw alter the hydraulic pressures? Might I just be creating a problem with the pump and the seals by doing that?

I hope you marked where the screw was initially because, in my experience, you'll want to put it back.

When I've tightened that screw up at all, and I mean "at all", it has taken both the slack and the feel out. And you have to pay attention at all times because the truck won't come back to center on its own.

And that's with only a teeny bit of tightening. But a full 1/2 turn may cause a bind. From what I've read you can actually break the box if you go too tight.

Be careful!

I hope you marked where the screw was initially because, in my experience, you'll want to put it back.

When I've tightened that screw up at all, and I mean "at all", it has taken both the slack and the feel out. And you have to pay attention at all times because the truck won't come back to center on its own.

And that's with only a teeny bit of tightening. But a full 1/2 turn may cause a bind. From what I've read you can actually break the box if you go too tight.

Be careful!

Thanks Gary! I’ll bring it back half a turn. I didn’t mark it but I was deliberate with the quarter turns relative to the wrench on the locking nut.