Bullnose Forums

HBF comes out of retirement

Yes, thank you for your service. And, Hawaii might be a fun place to be stationed. But I hope HBF gets to go soon.

I was stationed there a short time, back in the 70s, Air Force, single at the time. Great memories. Oldest Son there in the early 00s Navy, two grandsons born there.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was stationed there a short time, back in the 70s, Air Force, single at the time. Great memories. Oldest Son there in the early 00s Navy, two grandsons born there.

Thanks Gents!

HBF was quite the surf mobile in California and hopefully will blend in with the locals here but I’ve yet to see another Bullnose the last few weeks. They have an annual “safety check” here and I wonder if that has influenced things.

• 4 months later...

Thanks Gents!

HBF was quite the surf mobile in California and hopefully will blend in with the locals here but I’ve yet to see another Bullnose the last few weeks. They have an annual “safety check” here and I wonder if that has influenced things.

8F0BFE5C-628A-41D9-9215-3E0B0DC66B58.jpeg.4e45b451a08b107e1d4143a718b9e040.jpeg

540822D5-05EF-4E34-8EE1-AD03DAB41C91.jpeg.8ca5e723d9f3fdb71ed8a4a4319daf76.jpeg

So about 25 years ago, in August of 1996, my friend wanted to pass along his brother’s 1977 Honda Civic to a cousin who had always wanted it to restore. Now it just happened that I was going from California to Ohio which is where the Honda was sitting underneath some redwood trees.

So, we found some 2x8’s and rolled the Civic up into HBF and I set off driving. I made it to Salt Lake City Airport the first day and slept in the short term parking lot. A few hours later my brother flew into SLC and we started driving further East. Somewhere in Iowa, if memory serves, we slept along the roadside and a donkey kept making a ruckus all night long. And the next day we drive through the night and arrived in Ohio.

So about 25 years ago, in August of 1996, my friend wanted to pass along his brother’s 1977 Honda Civic to a cousin who had always wanted it to restore. Now it just happened that I was going from California to Ohio which is where the Honda was sitting underneath some redwood trees.

So, we found some 2x8’s and rolled the Civic up into HBF and I set off driving. I made it to Salt Lake City Airport the first day and slept in the short term parking lot. A few hours later my brother flew into SLC and we started driving further East. Somewhere in Iowa, if memory serves, we slept along the roadside and a donkey kept making a ruckus all night long. And the next day we drive through the night and arrived in Ohio.

886F0FEF-C966-4619-927E-CFF79DBA8AE7.jpeg.e2312a972d69964202ac59581907f3a6.jpeg

D2520F80-7D87-4E0A-8D5C-FAC388972398.jpeg.4921d269d13539fb8fb0af65d1347124.jpeg

And the next day, we met up with the cousin and his son and rolled it right off the back (with a bunch of extra parts inside of it.)

Anyhow, the donkey in the adventure still makes my brother and me laugh…..but maybe we were all donkeys for having such a crazy idea?!?

That’s cool!

Not yet...I am pretty sure water was coming in through the side vents (no A/C model) and the windshield.

The mouse nests had filled up the side vents and the duckbill drains, so water would pour into the cab from the side vents. When I had the vents removed and filled the cowling with water try to unclog the driver's side drain, water was coming into the cab through screw holes like a little cherub in a water fountain!

And, there is water coming down the firewall so, I suspect the butyl tape is leaking. Once, I get that sealed, I'll plan to tackle the floorpans. For now, I threw in that matting (one of those things for an office chair so roll you can roll around) because it was the toughest flexible material I had readily available and I am keeping HBF in the garage.

Puddles our first Bully had a leak in the rain that we had trouble finding. New windshield with plenty of Butyl, still leaked. Roof rails don't show signs of water ingress.

So it was time for a garden hose, a sunny day, and somebody inside watching closely.

Turns out it was cracked old body putty used to seal the tray under the cowl. It's a seam at the lowest point, so water pools there. I chipped out the old stuff, and could see into the cab a bit. I bought some 3M adhesive cord and repaired it. That was 3 years ago and it's holding.

• 6 months later...

Puddles our first Bully had a leak in the rain that we had trouble finding. New windshield with plenty of Butyl, still leaked. Roof rails don't show signs of water ingress.

So it was time for a garden hose, a sunny day, and somebody inside watching closely.

Turns out it was cracked old body putty used to seal the tray under the cowl. It's a seam at the lowest point, so water pools there. I chipped out the old stuff, and could see into the cab a bit. I bought some 3M adhesive cord and repaired it. That was 3 years ago and it's holding.

D17F2FB6-EBD8-4043-BAE2-9BC535FABD7C.jpeg.b9ac9dd884467aee6028b5fa08d939fc.jpeg

Well, the OPLIFT (opportunity lift) took about 11.5 months but it finally happened and HBF now has more days at sea than I do (despite 13 years in the Navy.)

Changed the motor oil and found a few things broken which is perfect because it gets me back to this forum!

Well, the OPLIFT (opportunity lift) took about 11.5 months but it finally happened and HBF now has more days at sea than I do (despite 13 years in the Navy.)

Changed the motor oil and found a few things broken which is perfect because it gets me back to this forum!

Welcome back! And happy homecoming in Hawaii for HBF! :nabble_anim_claps:

Do you have time to wrench on HBF or are you enjoying paradise too much? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Welcome back! And happy homecoming in Hawaii for HBF! :nabble_anim_claps:

Do you have time to wrench on HBF or are you enjoying paradise too much? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Ha!!! That’s funny Gary!!! The parking brake linkage that connects one cable to the two rear brake cables seems to have come apart somehow (perhaps an over aggressive stomp on the parking brake pedal.) Gary, can you point me to places on this site that have pictures/parts about how it’s supposed to look?!?

Thank you in advance!