Bullnose Forums

HBF comes out of retirement

Well, I didn't realize those screws were called that! I thought they were called barrel nuts! Brilliant idea!!! Thank you!

Well, I learn something every day. Wikipedia says "A sex bolt, (also known as a barrel nut, barrel bolt, binding barrel, Chicago screw, post and screw or connector bolt)." http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/thinking-26_orig.jpg

440px-Sleeve_nuts.jpg.12ada07da7a3a2f22b1e7298a417759e.jpg

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I learn something every day. Wikipedia says "A sex bolt, (also known as a barrel nut, barrel bolt, binding barrel, Chicago screw, post and screw or connector bolt)." :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Probably most often found holding your belt buckle on.

Tandy used to be a good place to get shallow ones.

IDK the last time I saw a Tandy store. Probably back in the '70's

Probably most often found holding your belt buckle on.

Tandy used to be a good place to get shallow ones.

IDK the last time I saw a Tandy store. Probably back in the '70's

Well, no luck finding a properly sized barrel bolt but the metric bolt area of the hardware store did the trick. A size M-8 seemed to fit very well through the drilled out rivet hole. So, I bought a bolt/nut with flange combo and then a normal nut to tighten the flange nut against. It lets the mirror swing to the three positions (trailer/camper, normal, and pulled closed) well and the resistance is just about right.

IMG_8455.jpeg.0bc2938c05c65d1f2e7de8582dcb43f1.jpeg

IMG_8456.jpeg.165a35f4b76c0e208f5259e47c1c55d6.jpeg

Well, no luck finding a properly sized barrel bolt but the metric bolt area of the hardware store did the trick. A size M-8 seemed to fit very well through the drilled out rivet hole. So, I bought a bolt/nut with flange combo and then a normal nut to tighten the flange nut against. It lets the mirror swing to the three positions (trailer/camper, normal, and pulled closed) well and the resistance is just about right.

If the nut loosens you might try a Nylon lock nut.

But it looks good!

8x1.25 is incredibly close to 5/16-18.

I could send you a stainless truss head cap screw.

Don't use Loctite and nylon.

It will make the plastic hard and brittle, completely defeating its purpose.

If you want a Chicago screw how short does the sleeve need to be?

It looks like you have a lot of stack-up on the bottom side there.

8x1.25 is incredibly close to 5/16-18.

I could send you a stainless truss head cap screw.

Don't use Loctite and nylon.

It will make the plastic hard and brittle, completely defeating its purpose.

If you want a Chicago screw how short does the sleeve need to be?

It looks like you have a lot of stack-up on the bottom side there.

Thanks Gents! Appreciate the advice and the offer. I'll see how well this one works out!

• 1 month later...

Well, I didn't realize those screws were called that! I thought they were called barrel nuts! Brilliant idea!!! Thank you!

I was able to find a front hitch thread on here but does anyone know of an off the shelf front hitch that would fit on an 1984 F-150 2WD?

I was able to find a front hitch thread on here but does anyone know of an off the shelf front hitch that would fit on an 1984 F-150 2WD?

I don't know of one, but they are fairly simple to make. I bought a piece of square tubing with the reinforcement on the end and the holes for the pin at Northern Tool and made crossmembers to weld it to.

I don't know of one, but they are fairly simple to make. I bought a piece of square tubing with the reinforcement on the end and the holes for the pin at Northern Tool and made crossmembers to weld it to.

Thanks Gary! I took a good look at my bumper today and this website and it turns out I have the "fuel efficiency" strip on the front bumper. Then, I scrounged for the "fuel efficiency package". HBF is a 4.9 with 4 speed overdrive and had the 3.08 rear end. I wonder if that met the criteria or if it being a California built truck was the cause of the "fuel efficiency" strip. Other folks on this forum with California trucks have the fuel efficiency strip?

Thanks Gary! I took a good look at my bumper today and this website and it turns out I have the "fuel efficiency" strip on the front bumper. Then, I scrounged for the "fuel efficiency package". HBF is a 4.9 with 4 speed overdrive and had the 3.08 rear end. I wonder if that met the criteria or if it being a California built truck was the cause of the "fuel efficiency" strip. Other folks on this forum with California trucks have the fuel efficiency strip?

And, in other news...

IMG_8621.jpeg.dd243dfeffcab110e83f509c745c2b65.jpeg

IMG_8640.jpeg.fae6d2743c42852b160d31b30b16a219.jpeg

IMG_8641.jpeg.39edd785a47338685749b5ca7a4016d9.jpeg

IMG_8642.jpeg.5c15388c44cc08ef138f69460c468f77.jpeg

Did some very minimal prep work and then attacked them with a rattle can.