Bullnose Forums

HBF comes out of retirement

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, on the other side of this...

...there was this:

I didn’t remove any parts or pieces. Did one fall off over the years? Did a little rubber cap melt away?

You can buy a Dorman choke stove repair kit in the HELP! aisle of most any auto parts store.

It has the tube, insulation and compression nuts with ferrules*

I'm not sure what "this" is.

No frame of reference for me.

If it's something connected to vacuum, any kind of backfire would blow a cap off.

But what is the wisp of smoke you're trying to show?

You can buy a Dorman choke stove repair kit in the HELP! aisle of most any auto parts store.

It has the tube, insulation and compression nuts with ferrules*

I'm not sure what "this" is.

No frame of reference for me.

If it's something connected to vacuum, any kind of backfire would blow a cap off.

But what is the wisp of smoke you're trying to show?

I was debating a kit but I am not sure I could pull that off without breaking a bunch of rusted metal! So, I figured I would try to jerry rig it for now!

Well Jim, I really am not sure what I am looking at. It's a hexagonal tube underneath the carburetor and it has a few vacuum lines attached to it. (At least three vacuum lines and two rubber caps.) The hexagon tube seems to bolt into the intake manifold but I might be wrong. No luck finding it when I am looking through the documentation so I could refer to it by name. I'm sorry.

Yes, I think the rubber cap must have heated up and melted through or perhaps another section of it popped off under pressure. I definitely smelled burning and then there were the wisps of smoke. Better start driving around with a fire extinguisher!

I was debating a kit but I am not sure I could pull that off without breaking a bunch of rusted metal! So, I figured I would try to jerry rig it for now!

Well Jim, I really am not sure what I am looking at. It's a hexagonal tube underneath the carburetor and it has a few vacuum lines attached to it. (At least three vacuum lines and two rubber caps.) The hexagon tube seems to bolt into the intake manifold but I might be wrong. No luck finding it when I am looking through the documentation so I could refer to it by name. I'm sorry.

Yes, I think the rubber cap must have heated up and melted through or perhaps another section of it popped off under pressure. I definitely smelled burning and then there were the wisps of smoke. Better start driving around with a fire extinguisher!

Yep! That is the vacuum tree.

David has documented what connects there.

But not every outlet was used in all cases, so a vacuum cap is easy enough to replace.

Everything is really close to the exhaust manifold under there.

Maybe there was a line. Maybe not.

But what you are showing is a vacuum leak.

And the smoke you see is fuel vapor, because there is no oil in the intake (except if the PCV is really blowing)

Yep! That is the vacuum tree.

David has documented what connects there.

But not every outlet was used in all cases, so a vacuum cap is easy enough to replace.

Everything is really close to the exhaust manifold under there.

Maybe there was a line. Maybe not.

But what you are showing is a vacuum leak.

And the smoke you see is fuel vapor, because there is no oil in the intake (except if the PCV is really blowing)

Oh!!! That's the vacuum tree! That makes sense! THANK YOU!!!

Oh!!! That's the vacuum tree! That makes sense! THANK YOU!!!

Do you see it as a hex with 'Man Vac' shown on the routing diagram sticker? (on the radiator support)

That way you could tell if any hoses are missing.

I appreciate the thanks, but that's why most of us are here, to help others understand how these old trucks function.

Do you see it as a hex with 'Man Vac' shown on the routing diagram sticker? (on the radiator support)

That way you could tell if any hoses are missing.

I appreciate the thanks, but that's why most of us are here, to help others understand how these old trucks function.

I'll look tomorrow!!!

ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!!! THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT!!!

I'll look tomorrow!!!

ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!!! THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT!!!

Good morning Bullnose Family!

OK, so I left Happy Blue Ford out in the driveway overnight and just got back from a test drive in 30 degree weather. But first, in regard to the vacuum tube diagram:

IMG_8303.jpeg.8d967a61c53ba9dc86e01c1eec02f71d.jpeg

And the second thing to report was the smoke seems to be coming from the rear of the engine:

IMG_8305.jpeg.5696346b166902bb786b8ab949f89b71.jpeg

IMG_8306.jpeg.4a0a9da99c11204a68bbfaddf601161a.jpeg

So, I think it's safe to say, the smoke isn't coming from the vacuum tree! But, why would the back of the engine start burning off the oil crud right after I reconnected the separated heat stove? Could it be that the heat stove never got that hot when the stove pipe component was just spewing hot air immediately upon exiting the stove before I re-connected it? And, now that it is connected, it's hotter? Or, have I actually blocked the egress of air with my aluminum foil tape contraption? I figured after driving HBF for several months now, any oil back there that would have burned off would have burned off by now?

Well, the smoke revealed itself (or perhaps we could call this a smokeshow?) at a parking lot 3.6 mile drive away. At this point the idle was really racing high but at other points in the drive, it was running great. I drove immediately home after that. When I arrived back in my driveway, it wasn't smoking anymore. I have some degunker so I should probably use it in the whole area.

Thoughts?!? Use my Jeep (named Chewy by my girlfriend, who is definitely a smokeshow and who loves this website) to go get a fire extinguisher? Or, heck, go test drive HBF again!

Good morning Bullnose Family!

OK, so I left Happy Blue Ford out in the driveway overnight and just got back from a test drive in 30 degree weather. But first, in regard to the vacuum tube diagram:

And the second thing to report was the smoke seems to be coming from the rear of the engine:

So, I think it's safe to say, the smoke isn't coming from the vacuum tree! But, why would the back of the engine start burning off the oil crud right after I reconnected the separated heat stove? Could it be that the heat stove never got that hot when the stove pipe component was just spewing hot air immediately upon exiting the stove before I re-connected it? And, now that it is connected, it's hotter? Or, have I actually blocked the egress of air with my aluminum foil tape contraption? I figured after driving HBF for several months now, any oil back there that would have burned off would have burned off by now?

Well, the smoke revealed itself (or perhaps we could call this a smokeshow?) at a parking lot 3.6 mile drive away. At this point the idle was really racing high but at other points in the drive, it was running great. I drove immediately home after that. When I arrived back in my driveway, it wasn't smoking anymore. I have some degunker so I should probably use it in the whole area.

Thoughts?!? Use my Jeep (named Chewy by my girlfriend, who is definitely a smokeshow and who loves this website) to go get a fire extinguisher? Or, heck, go test drive HBF again!

Colour code red is manifold vacuum, so you see there are only two lines connected.

There is likely a third for climate control, and another for the brake booster but this diagram only shows emissions.

Perhaps because with it disconnected there was never vacuum drawing heated air through the line to the choke?

If the smoke is way back there I'd be looking for oil getting on the exhaust.

I don't think it's a big deal if there is not a substantial leak.

Colour code red is manifold vacuum, so you see there are only two lines connected.

There is likely a third for climate control, and another for the brake booster but this diagram only shows emissions.

Perhaps because with it disconnected there was never vacuum drawing heated air through the line to the choke?

If the smoke is way back there I'd be looking for oil getting on the exhaust.

I don't think it's a big deal if there is not a substantial leak.

Well, I decided to idle it in the driveway with a water hose at the ready (of course water could potentially make an oil fire worse) and it didn’t start smoking again. With the air cleaner off, after some time, the stovepipe got too hot to touch with my fingers, so I am happy to say that seems to be working. And the idle hummed along as it should!

Yes, I suspect some globs of oil must have been displaced when I was working on the stovepipe last night and were burning on the manifold or something like that.

I used up two old remnant bottles of degunker the previous tenants left behind and I was able to get more oil build up off the rear of the engine.

So, hopefully the stovepipe works well through the week and the idle won’t scream with over choked RPM’s!