Bullnose Forum

HBF comes out of retirement

Thank you for the clarification on what those bolts do!!!

Well, I got out the cargo straps again...So, back in July 2007, I had the rear driver-side tire blow out on I-70 near Grand Junction. But, not to worry. I whipped out my candy bar cell phone, pulled out the antenna, and walked a quarter of a mile to get reception. Then, called AAA for a ride into town. I didn't have a spare, as several years before after a loud BOOM from Happy Blue Ford, I saw the spare bouncing down the road in my rear view mirror on a busy highway! (Yes, I called the police and let them know that if there was a vehicle stuck by a wayward tire, it was probably mine.) Anyhow, to get to the point of the story, I finally got around to doing some body work!

I should have taken some more appropriate before and after pictures, but here's the gist of "cargo strap body work, part deux".

I'm glad no one was hurt.

Thoughts of early cell phone reception remind me just how much our lives have changed.

Just a few months ago I had to rebuild my tire carrier.

It's beefier now.

No matter if you flush the undercarriage any time the hose isn't frozen the road salt in the north eats everything up.

I'm glad no one was hurt.

Thoughts of early cell phone reception remind me just how much our lives have changed.

Just a few months ago I had to rebuild my tire carrier.

It's beefier now.

No matter if you flush the undercarriage any time the hose isn't frozen the road salt in the north eats everything up.

Well, I gave my gas filler hose another try at the old hack routine and it seemed to have worked for at least two full tanks of gas now. So, I might just return the brand new hose. Posting this for anyone in a similar situation but no promises it will work long-term!

I found a piece of radiator hose about 4 inches long and sliced it lengthwise. Then, I sanded my filler hose that was dry rotted and caked with dirt and grime. The filler hose was leaking each time I filled up the tank and there was a noticeable small hole. To the inside of the radiator hose, I applied some pipe joint compound that said on the back that it could be used with gas. (I suspect the meaning was for natural gas pipes/propane lines but hey, I had been given a few bottles of it, and figured it was worth a try!) Then, slipped the radiator hose on the filler hose. And then gently tightened some hose clamps around the two hoses. So far, so good!

IMG_8063.jpeg.ea117fa3059ef3a573c09a68e1019b6b.jpeg

IMG_8065.jpeg.d0c650df8857a287acf28cd50bc15ce9.jpeg

Well, I gave my gas filler hose another try at the old hack routine and it seemed to have worked for at least two full tanks of gas now. So, I might just return the brand new hose. Posting this for anyone in a similar situation but no promises it will work long-term!

I found a piece of radiator hose about 4 inches long and sliced it lengthwise. Then, I sanded my filler hose that was dry rotted and caked with dirt and grime. The filler hose was leaking each time I filled up the tank and there was a noticeable small hole. To the inside of the radiator hose, I applied some pipe joint compound that said on the back that it could be used with gas. (I suspect the meaning was for natural gas pipes/propane lines but hey, I had been given a few bottles of it, and figured it was worth a try!) Then, slipped the radiator hose on the filler hose. And then gently tightened some hose clamps around the two hoses. So far, so good!

Well, if it works... This document says "fuel lines" and I would think that would include gasoline. So I think you are ok.

Keep us posted, please.

I wish you luck. :nabble_smiley_good:

Not sure how much that hose costs.

Did you determine how it got a hole in it?

I wish you luck. :nabble_smiley_good:

Not sure how much that hose costs.

Did you determine how it got a hole in it?

Thanks gentlemen!

I suspect the hole was from rubbing against the frame and then dry rot over 10 years. I am pretty confident it wasn't dribbling out when I filled up the tank last in either December 2009 or January 2010. However, when I went to siphon the gas out in May 2020, I disconnected the metal section from the rubber section. And, I wonder if doing so, I tore the rubber section. So, ya know, it coulda been a combo of dry rot, the frame constantly rubbing on it, and my overaggressive inept gorilla hands.

Thanks gentlemen!

I suspect the hole was from rubbing against the frame and then dry rot over 10 years. I am pretty confident it wasn't dribbling out when I filled up the tank last in either December 2009 or January 2010. However, when I went to siphon the gas out in May 2020, I disconnected the metal section from the rubber section. And, I wonder if doing so, I tore the rubber section. So, ya know, it coulda been a combo of dry rot, the frame constantly rubbing on it, and my overaggressive inept gorilla hands.

Another hack I did recently... For anyone interested in the guts of the mirror:

IMG_6468.jpeg.41308398def7150f6710987b19b894c2.jpeg

IMG_6469.jpeg.8797cf018fed5b54ad27176b3060477f.jpeg

I pealed off the glue/sticky pads and cleaned the surfaces as best as possible. Then, the mirror was glued back to the base with some Gorilla Epoxy. This was in May 2020 and so far so good!

IMG_6471.jpeg.0ccc81de3b108eb181995342f11ffef5.jpeg

Another hack I did recently... For anyone interested in the guts of the mirror:

I pealed off the glue/sticky pads and cleaned the surfaces as best as possible. Then, the mirror was glued back to the base with some Gorilla Epoxy. This was in May 2020 and so far so good!

I usually use silicone, but if it's been holding up for seven months I'd call it good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Wish I could get them to *fall off in one piece instead of shattering. :nabble_anim_confused:

I usually use silicone, but if it's been holding up for seven months I'd call it good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Wish I could get them to *fall off in one piece instead of shattering. :nabble_anim_confused:

Yes Sir, I got lucky! The mirror was vibrating a lot and I figured it was the lower swing arm mount. The rivet that the lower swing arm pivots on had broken many many years ago. So, I was going to pull the whole thing assembly off and drill out the rivet and put a bolt through it. (Which I still haven't done.) Anyhow, as I started doing that, I realized it was the actual mirror in a tenuous position!

Yes Sir, I got lucky! The mirror was vibrating a lot and I figured it was the lower swing arm mount. The rivet that the lower swing arm pivots on had broken many many years ago. So, I was going to pull the whole thing assembly off and drill out the rivet and put a bolt through it. (Which I still haven't done.) Anyhow, as I started doing that, I realized it was the actual mirror in a tenuous position!

Maybe the added vibration led to the mirror shaking loose?

I once noticed my drivers side mirror was not adjusted right.

I reached out the open window and the whole head came off in my hand!

The neck of the ball had rusted through.

Maybe the added vibration led to the mirror shaking loose?

I once noticed my drivers side mirror was not adjusted right.

I reached out the open window and the whole head came off in my hand!

The neck of the ball had rusted through.

I suspect you're right! The extra vibrations likely shook the mirror loose from the glue pads!

Another thing hanging by just a thread... My exhaust/heat shield thingy. One bolt was still holding it on. Where the other bolt was, the shield had rusted away around it! And, of course, when I tried to remove the bolt, I broke the bolt and the thread is lodged in the intake manifold. So....

Ideas on how to fix this or to find a replacement?!? How critical is it?!?

IMG_8106.jpeg.4a3792370d32b33055323dc97d4ca946.jpeg

Today, I bought a small roll of roof flashing and have tin snips. I also bought some aluminum foil tape while I was at the hardware store.