Bullnose Forums

Engine starts but won't stay running after rebuild...

Thanks Jim, but it really is simple.

I guess it's not impossible that the power supply is not sufficient, but the default wiring is for a HEI, as in that's the way the harness is set up, anything else requires modification. The distributor feed comes straight from the fuse box with it's own 30amp fuse. So changing the power supply would be my last resort.

30 amp fused circuit should be more than adequate for an HEI. That should tell you what a power hog they are.

Thanks Bill, but no joy this morning I'm afraid. Couldn't even get it to run as long as yesterday, so it wasn't just me misusing the choke. I believe it's retarded too. I aligned the distributor at #1 TDC, or as close as I could with limitations I had. I believe it is ATDC if anything, but I can't believe it can be that severe to not run, but obviously it is. I'll play around with it tomorrow and try to get it to 10BTDC.

Rob, if you're having troubles getting enough advance try moving all the plug wires around on the cap.

CCW one post, as David points out rotation is opposite that of a V-8 engine.

What does a timing light show?

I don't suppose tapping the distributor works, like it does on a DuraSpark distributor?

ETA; thank you for the explanation.

I just don't know how your harness works, but I know the normal feed of a Ford harness won't do it for HEI.

Rob, if you're having troubles getting enough advance try moving all the plug wires around on the cap.

CCW one post, as David points out rotation is opposite that of a V-8 engine.

What does a timing light show?

I don't suppose tapping the distributor works, like it does on a DuraSpark distributor?

ETA; thank you for the explanation.

I just don't know how your harness works, but I know the normal feed of a Ford harness won't do it for HEI.

Engine starts and runs!:nabble_anim_jump::nabble_smiley_happy:

Thank you gentleman for the advice and tips. After turning the crank to 10BTDC, I turned the rotor a couple of gears and was then able to have one of the points line up, one over of the original no1. It started on the second attempt and I was able to open the throttle up immediately. It idled quite happily too. I'll continue the story in the 'tinker' thread...

Engine starts and runs!:nabble_anim_jump::nabble_smiley_happy:

Thank you gentleman for the advice and tips. After turning the crank to 10BTDC, I turned the rotor a couple of gears and was then able to have one of the points line up, one over of the original no1. It started on the second attempt and I was able to open the throttle up immediately. It idled quite happily too. I'll continue the story in the 'tinker' thread...

Glad it worked sir! Your earlier description was classic very retarded timing.