Bullnose Forums

Operation NP435 & Over Drive

FuzzFace2

Thanks guys

Rob I left out some things it was not that hot in the garage. The humidity was low today and temp got up to about 85*, 88* in the garage when I closed up. I also had my fan blowing down across the floor as I was under the truck most of the time.

I have run the numbers thru the calculator with the rear gear (2.75) I have it should put me at about 1800 RPM @ 70 MPH. Speed limit is 70 here so everyone is doing 75-80but to keep the RPM down and MPG up I have been keeping it at 65 MPH.

BTW at 55 MPH, the MAX speed limit back then it does about 1800 RPM

Dave ----

It was hard to get out to the garage this morning did not get started till about 10am and I was up at 5:30am to hit it hard :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

First up was the main shifter using a MAP gas torch I was able to heat it and make a few bends.

It clears the seat now, granny is pretty far reach forward but not to bad and if I was to bring it back then my elbow would then hit the seat. It is also a little tall but I can live with that.

Then on to the OD shifter. I needed to find out how much throw it would have and was kind of short to the point I checked it for about 5 min just to make sure. Then to figure how to bolt the stick on and still clear the OD housing. I was first thinking of making a stand off so the stick would be in the bolt on pan area. That would not work because of the housing so back to the MAP gas torch.

Did 1 bend to get it in the pan area but the main stick now hit it so back to the torch and was close went to go just a little more and the vise broke! So took the stick to the car trailer for the last tweak and everything now clears.

20200614_120256.jpg.d89aee1c5c0fc78af2e9a90b3653d924.jpg

Does not look it but it does clear

20200614_120356.jpg.b30fca4ae596617d35c57f2ce021fa9f.jpg

With both shifter sticks working it was on to the pan.

20200614_122046.jpg.a8fd7071f5f81f472bb7e7c46fce2ed2.jpg

It has a tall part at the front that I did not need or want as it could make fitting the carpet tuff.

Took a lot of measurements and marked the pan and started cutting it using a cut off wheel on my small grinder. I also made a cut along both sides of the tall part so I could lower it.

A little hammer & dolly work, more cutting, some welding, test fitting and more of hammer & dolly work, more cutting, some welding till it fit.

20200614_160234.jpg.12842b7e5277f7eb774f064c4ea77707.jpg

I tried fitting the shift boot on the main stick and found I need to fill in a little bit here & there.

I fitted a piece but the welder was put away so it will have to wait.

I sanded the 2 sticks and gave them a few coats of paint and let dry over night.

I also washed the shifter boot so it will be ready to go.

I don't like the shifter boot that came with the OD unit, it is a large boot made for a main stick and just will not work for the OD shifter.

I think I have seen boots for transfer cases that move forward & back and skinny to work where I have the stick.

I am on stand by for work tomorrow so going to take the drive shaft to the shop hope its not to much $$

Then to finish up the pan, fill the OD and drain & fill the trans. Bolt down the pan and see if the carpet will fit.

Dave ----

It was hard to get out to the garage this morning did not get started till about 10am and I was up at 5:30am to hit it hard :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

First up was the main shifter using a MAP gas torch I was able to heat it and make a few bends.

It clears the seat now, granny is pretty far reach forward but not to bad and if I was to bring it back then my elbow would then hit the seat. It is also a little tall but I can live with that.

Then on to the OD shifter. I needed to find out how much throw it would have and was kind of short to the point I checked it for about 5 min just to make sure. Then to figure how to bolt the stick on and still clear the OD housing. I was first thinking of making a stand off so the stick would be in the bolt on pan area. That would not work because of the housing so back to the MAP gas torch.

Did 1 bend to get it in the pan area but the main stick now hit it so back to the torch and was close went to go just a little more and the vise broke! So took the stick to the car trailer for the last tweak and everything now clears.

It has a tall part at the front that I did not need or want as it could make fitting the carpet tuff.

Took a lot of measurements and marked the pan and started cutting it using a cut off wheel on my small grinder. I also made a cut along both sides of the tall part so I could lower it.

A little hammer & dolly work, more cutting, some welding, test fitting and more of hammer & dolly work, more cutting, some welding till it fit.

I tried fitting the shift boot on the main stick and found I need to fill in a little bit here & there.

I sanded the 2 sticks and gave them a few coats of paint and let dry over night.

I don't like the shifter boot that came with the OD unit, it is a large boot made for a main stick and just will not work for the OD shifter.

I think I have seen boots for transfer cases that move forward & back and skinny to work where I have the stick.

I am on stand by for work tomorrow so going to take the drive shaft to the shop hope its not to much $$

Then to finish up the pan, fill the OD and drain & fill the trans. Bolt down the pan and see if the carpet will fit.

Dave ----

That looks great. Nice job!

Dave ----

Looks good.

Dave ----

That's a whole lot of work! Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Dave ----

Good work Dave! :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

Dave, I have the boot from this retainer kit(https://www.ebay.com/i/254621031831?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=254621031831&targetid=4580221852015640&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=395665040&mkgroupid=1225955674700145&rlsatarget=pla-4580221852015640&abcId=1129776&merchantid=51291&msclkid=23ba0c381feb19b7ad8552df9abefb7e) if it would work better for you. With almost everything being free shipping, you can probably get exactly what you're looking for at about the same price as shipping this to you. It's yours if you want it though.

Dave, I have the boot from this retainer kit(https://www.ebay.com/i/254621031831?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=254621031831&targetid=4580221852015640&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=395665040&mkgroupid=1225955674700145&rlsatarget=pla-4580221852015640&abcId=1129776&merchantid=51291&msclkid=23ba0c381feb19b7ad8552df9abefb7e) if it would work better for you. With almost everything being free shipping, you can probably get exactly what you're looking for at about the same price as shipping this to you. It's yours if you want it though.

I did not know there was a rubber boot on the top of the shifter?

What I was thinking of was like this for the OD shifter

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/crown-automotive-m20-transfer-case-shifter-boot-j5353263/_/R-BKMN-J5353263

Then I saw this, kills 2 birds with 1 stone

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/crown-automotive-shifter-boot-5752141/_/R-BKMN-5752141

Just need to do some measuring to see if it would work.

Dave ----

I did not know there was a rubber boot on the top of the shifter?

What I was thinking of was like this for the OD shifter

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/crown-automotive-m20-transfer-case-shifter-boot-j5353263/_/R-BKMN-J5353263

Then I saw this, kills 2 birds with 1 stone

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/crown-automotive-shifter-boot-5752141/_/R-BKMN-5752141

Just need to do some measuring to see if it would work.

Dave ----

Drive shaft was sent out yesterday and then got called into work.

When I got home it was to late to do any work on the truck and my hip is hurting pretty good today so don't know if I will got out to the garage.

Would like to finish welding the pan, fill the OD & drain and fill the trans wit oil.

Dave ----

Drive shaft was sent out yesterday and then got called into work.

When I got home it was to late to do any work on the truck and my hip is hurting pretty good today so don't know if I will got out to the garage.

Would like to finish welding the pan, fill the OD & drain and fill the trans wit oil.

Dave ----

Sometimes a rest is good for us. Draining the tranny might be a pain, literally, but maybe welding up the pan and filling the O/D might not hurt so much?

Sometimes a rest is good for us. Draining the tranny might be a pain, literally, but maybe welding up the pan and filling the O/D might not hurt so much?

I got carried away, after I got out and moving I did more than just welding the pan.

Did a test fit and had to do a little clearing then hit the welds with the grinder to look a little prettier but the pan will be under carpet.

What I started with - SROD pan

20200614_122046.jpg.e5bf3fdb706a07ef9aae959ca727acbf.jpg

The one on the right is what I ended up with, the left is the T18 pan.

You can also see how I took the high part of the pan out so I hope the carpet would fit.

20200616_131454.jpg.999cee008c270ac4e5ea2a8275c51437.jpg

Under side showing the seal, I used auto & marine rubber seal.

20200616_131354.jpg.cff85f042b06bdb08c7d77906391fc16.jpg

Before I put the sticks on I test fitted the used auto carpet and I it looks like it will fit but when I go to install I will have to remove the seat to fit the carpet under it but that cant happen till I get shifter boots that I am happy with.

Before I bolted the pan down I filled the OD with 30W motor oil that is called for for break in.

Break in is drive for 15 to 30 min. drain and refill with the 90W they sent with the OD unit.

While I was filling the OD I was draining the transmission as I did not know what shape if any oil was in it.

It was black but did not look that bad. With the pan off and the shifter & fill plug out I was able to fill thru the shifter and look for the oil to come out the fill hole.

After 2 qt of gear oil and not getting any oil on a finger I had to look up how much it took.

One post said 6 gallons! I knew that could not be right. After going they many posts to use or not use gear oil or 50W motor and GL4 or GL5 gear oil. The 2 qt were GL4 / GL5 Lucas HD gear oil.

I had a little, not even half a qt, 10W-40 & 10W-30 that I added to the transmission to get the level to come out the fill plug.

So with the OD & transmission filled with oil I put the shift sticks on and the pan. I did set the 1 shifter boot I may use on the pan but is not screwed down.

20200616_140248.jpg.19b5cd2d4a8908a447ccad1a5c5edf4c.jpg

So as of right now I am waiting for the drive shaft so I can do my break in of the OD unit.

Dave ----