Bullnose Forums

Little Blue got a BooBoo

That :nabble_smiley_cry: if you have the parts that broke off you can glass them back into place.

It is kind of what I did to install the rear filler door.

I also had a few cracks I had to fix. I added mat to the back side to make it stronger and just a little rosin to the front side and finish with body filler.

Dave ----

That's exactly how I repaired my original DRW fenders, glassed all the broken pieces back on. I would definitely be having a serious discussion with Tire Discounters. I had a similar (didn't lose a wheel though) experience on my 1970 1/2 Falcon wagon. The rear wheels were so tight that when I had a flat I almost couldn't get the nuts off. It took my cross wrench as the nice angled jack handle/lug wrench would start to come off the nuts. It took the cross wrench, pulling with both hands and pushing with one foot to break them loose.

I took it back to the Goodyear store and told the manager what had happened. He called one of his techs in, told him to put the car inside and take the opposite side wheel off with the cross wrench, he couldn't move it.

This was before "torque sticks", the method was to turn down the air valve on the impact wrench.

That's exactly how I repaired my original DRW fenders, glassed all the broken pieces back on. I would definitely be having a serious discussion with Tire Discounters. I had a similar (didn't lose a wheel though) experience on my 1970 1/2 Falcon wagon. The rear wheels were so tight that when I had a flat I almost couldn't get the nuts off. It took my cross wrench as the nice angled jack handle/lug wrench would start to come off the nuts. It took the cross wrench, pulling with both hands and pushing with one foot to break them loose.

I took it back to the Goodyear store and told the manager what had happened. He called one of his techs in, told him to put the car inside and take the opposite side wheel off with the cross wrench, he couldn't move it.

This was before "torque sticks", the method was to turn down the air valve on the impact wrench.

I had a similar thing happen with Sears. It took everything I had to break them loose. Took it back to Sears and talked to the shop manager and explained that when the rotors warped they'd be paying for them. And, that they'd lost my business forever.

Fortunately we caught it early enough that the rotors never warped. But I've NEVER been back to any Sears automotive service, and won't. (However, I did manage Sears IT infrastructure for a while. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:)

I had a similar thing happen with Sears. It took everything I had to break them loose. Took it back to Sears and talked to the shop manager and explained that when the rotors warped they'd be paying for them. And, that they'd lost my business forever.

Fortunately we caught it early enough that the rotors never warped. But I've NEVER been back to any Sears automotive service, and won't. (However, I did manage Sears IT infrastructure for a while. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:)

Aw, man, that hurts just to look at. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go check my lug nuts...

.....Ray, time to throw in the towel and junk this truck. Not worth fixing. What's you're address again? I'll come over there and take it away for you so it's not so unsightly sitting in the driveway......

You'll have to trade me yours first....

.....Ray, time to throw in the towel and junk this truck. Not worth fixing. What's you're address again? I'll come over there and take it away for you so it's not so unsightly sitting in the driveway......

You'll have to trade me yours first....

......as far as Tire Discounters goes...I will call them tomorrow. I've been incredibly busy yesterday and today. There is no way I can prove, nor would it hold up in court, that they are at fault. It's not worth my time. Honestly. My time is more valuable than to spend it playing the blame game. I can fix it, and I will, when I get around to it. Truth is....it could have happened at 65-70 mph and caused a major accident in which I perished. Luckily, I was going no more than 30mph. I knew Poo was about to hit the fan so I slowed.

It blows my mind that all 5 lugs came off the studs. All 5 of them were there when I checked in the church parking lot....300 yards down the road and Boom....no lugs.

......as far as Tire Discounters goes...I will call them tomorrow. I've been incredibly busy yesterday and today. There is no way I can prove, nor would it hold up in court, that they are at fault. It's not worth my time. Honestly. My time is more valuable than to spend it playing the blame game. I can fix it, and I will, when I get around to it. Truth is....it could have happened at 65-70 mph and caused a major accident in which I perished. Luckily, I was going no more than 30mph. I knew Poo was about to hit the fan so I slowed.

It blows my mind that all 5 lugs came off the studs. All 5 of them were there when I checked in the church parking lot....300 yards down the road and Boom....no lugs.

And now you know why they had left hand threads on that side of cars & trucks.

Dave ----

if the lugs were over torqued and stripped that's plenty of evidence for me. Show it to them, they have insurance for stuff like this for a reason. Especially if they just mounted the tires, I don't see them not helping you out. They will either cut you a check or let you go to a professional shop to have it done and foot the bill.

if the lugs were over torqued and stripped that's plenty of evidence for me. Show it to them, they have insurance for stuff like this for a reason. Especially if they just mounted the tires, I don't see them not helping you out. They will either cut you a check or let you go to a professional shop to have it done and foot the bill.

With business as bad as it has been for those types of shops they don't need any bad publicity. They will probably make it right.

With business as bad as it has been for those types of shops they don't need any bad publicity. They will probably make it right.

Ray, beautiful truck and I hate this for you. I'm curious, why do you think this occurred from the lug nuts being over torqued verses the possibility that they were left loose and not tightened?