Bullnose Forums

Needed repair piling up.

Man, oh man, that is a LOT of work. But you are right, while you are in there is the time to do it.

As you know, when I get "in there" it takes forever. I feel your pain, but obviously not as acutely as you, when you need to get it back on the road ASAP to earn money. I wish I could help. I really do.

I'm not crying the blues, and like Cory I actually feel some accomplishment in getting things done.

But when I break it out, and try to put a realistic time on each task it does get a bit overwhelming.

Add to that I'm at the mercy of the weather and I've made promises.

If the dang ring gear weren't so pressing I'd fulfill my commitments first and push the rest off (or JUST replace the ring gear)

It's really problematic to have to push over my truck in 5th to try and find a spot for the starter to engage, and each time I do it gets worse.

Sometimes I park in the open so I have room, and when I get back there is a car in front of in back of me.

Then I have no room to push, and my truck is not light.

I'm not crying the blues, and like Cory I actually feel some accomplishment in getting things done.

But when I break it out, and try to put a realistic time on each task it does get a bit overwhelming.

Add to that I'm at the mercy of the weather and I've made promises.

If the dang ring gear weren't so pressing I'd fulfill my commitments first and push the rest off (or JUST replace the ring gear)

It's really problematic to have to push over my truck in 5th to try and find a spot for the starter to engage, and each time I do it gets worse.

Sometimes I park in the open so I have room, and when I get back there is a car in front of in back of me.

Then I have no room to push, and my truck is not light.

More parts arrived today.

I got a center link from U-techcenter, some Moog swaybar bushings and end links, and the new starter from DB Electrical.

Couple of things of note.

DB Electrical parts now come marked J&N.

And come in boxes also marked Denso.

IMG_20200607_123524.thumb.jpg.c61c4d6e74aabcfb2926fbdb90202f59.jpg

IMG_20200607_123655.jpg.9902816d246029fa5d6cbbb2c929c252.jpg

IMG_20200607_123700.jpg.ed424b09fb52d97cccaff35a65ef39be.jpg

While I was on the phone with DB I also purchased another alternator.

I've been concerned with how mine is squealing when I push start my truck.

I know 'in my head' that it's just because the LRC regulator has been seeing power, but I got a discount and I had a couple of bucks.

I drilled the adjuster ear 'O' and tapped it 3/8-16, looked at the grey regulator and ordered a six second white model from eBay.

Then I looked at the test sheet.

It says 'Load Response Control' and also has the charging curve.

It's really faint, so I don't know if these will be clear, but it shows 4.5 second soft start and 2 second load response control.

Also, it's puting out over 100A at 1600 alternator rpm.

I like charging at idle. 😁

IMG_20200607_123737.thumb.jpg.39c30644dda8892f724061d87a2e42fb.jpg

IMG_20200607_123821.jpg.e5c3f2b8ea533368e7b55a6861d6bebb.jpg

More parts arrived today.

I got a center link from U-techcenter, some Moog swaybar bushings and end links, and the new starter from DB Electrical.

Couple of things of note.

DB Electrical parts now come marked J&N.

And come in boxes also marked Denso.

While I was on the phone with DB I also purchased another alternator.

I've been concerned with how mine is squealing when I push start my truck.

I know 'in my head' that it's just because the LRC regulator has been seeing power, but I got a discount and I had a couple of bucks.

I drilled the adjuster ear 'O' and tapped it 3/8-16, looked at the grey regulator and ordered a six second white model from eBay.

Then I looked at the test sheet.

It says 'Load Response Control' and also has the charging curve.

It's really faint, so I don't know if these will be clear, but it shows 4.5 second soft start and 2 second load response control.

Also, it's puting out over 100A at 1600 alternator rpm.

I like charging at idle. 😁

That’s interesting. The alternator is rated 130 but puts out 106 at 1600, 134 at 2500, and 160 at 5000 RPM. But that’s alternator R’s and the 1986 Dealer Fact Book says the 460 is geared 3:1. So it puts out 106 at 533 engine R’s, 134 @ 833, and kicks out 160 amps at 1666 R’s.

Wow! No wonder the 3G is a favorite!

That’s interesting. The alternator is rated 130 but puts out 106 at 1600, 134 at 2500, and 160 at 5000 RPM. But that’s alternator R’s and the 1986 Dealer Fact Book says the 460 is geared 3:1. So it puts out 106 at 533 engine R’s, 134 @ 833, and kicks out 160 amps at 1666 R’s.

Wow! No wonder the 3G is a favorite!

Jim - if you don’t have the ability to scan those sheets, how about mailing them to me and I will.

Jim - if you don’t have the ability to scan those sheets, how about mailing them to me and I will.

It's just one sheet Gary, but I can sent the starter data sheet too.

Back in the day I would have to use Stat film to get some better contrast.

It shows 160 output but I doubt the rectifier heatsink would save the diodes, nor the winding insulation for long.

Nobody wants to ground the regulator screw for more than a few seconds.

I'm more surprised by a gray LRC regulator.

This model with the 8mm threaded adjuster and LRC is definitely the one to get!

It's just one sheet Gary, but I can sent the starter data sheet too.

Back in the day I would have to use Stat film to get some better contrast.

It shows 160 output but I doubt the rectifier heatsink would save the diodes, nor the winding insulation for long.

Nobody wants to ground the regulator screw for more than a few seconds.

I'm more surprised by a gray LRC regulator.

This model with the 8mm threaded adjuster and LRC is definitely the one to get!

Yes, I'd agree that's the model to get. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the scans, my new scanner and associated software usually turns murky pages into pretty much black and white, although I do it in gray scale. So I think that would be good documentation to have.

Yes, I'd agree that's the model to get. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the scans, my new scanner and associated software usually turns murky pages into pretty much black and white, although I do it in gray scale. So I think that would be good documentation to have.

Gary, did you go with the LuK 07-092 in front of your Zf?

I've obviously got to get on top of that before I change my ring gear.

Jim - No, I ordered clutch kit 07-910 and flywheel LFW109. (Look here. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

I don't need or want heavy duty.

My torn knee kills me every time I push the clutch and I feel the ligament pop over.

I would like the kit with flywheel, as that on Amazon, but the ring gear is already coming, and I don't have the money right now.

Being for the '88 5-speed I know the disc fits the Zf input shaft.

I'm also thinking I may change the oil pump while I have the pan off.

Low pressure at hot idle, and the number of miles on this engine make me think it's a good idea.

Still kicking myself for not fighting for the 450 engine.

But I was fed up with the whole situation with that guy and didn't have a good place to put it at the time.

That truck ran like a top!

I don't need or want heavy duty.

My torn knee kills me every time I push the clutch and I feel the ligament pop over.

I would like the kit with flywheel, as that on Amazon, but the ring gear is already coming, and I don't have the money right now.

Being for the '88 5-speed I know the disc fits the Zf input shaft.

I'm also thinking I may change the oil pump while I have the pan off.

Low pressure at hot idle, and the number of miles on this engine make me think it's a good idea.

Still kicking myself for not fighting for the 450 engine.

But I was fed up with the whole situation with that guy and didn't have a good place to put it at the time.

That truck ran like a top!

Two thumbs up to Rock Auto!

My ring gear and trans mount are here!

Also, surprisingly, Amazon delivered my LED strips.

So I may be doing that in the dawn hours tomorrow.

The parts pile is reaching critical mass and I need to figure out how I'm going to pull this engine.

Also, given that I don't have any alternative transpo for parts running, I need to sort that.

Fortunately, I do have a couple of stores that will deliver to the barn, because I know them.

That doesn't help if I need to wade through the shelves.