Bullnose Forums

Needed repair piling up.

Li'l Red obviously doesn't like the bright red clown nose I've painted on her.

She's knocking on downshift's (tranny mount I assume) and the ring gear is fubar.

Im parking on hills and the alternator squeals if I have to leave the ignition on while I rock her in gear to find a point where I can get the starter to engage.

A Pioneer ring gear is only $25, but getting the engine or transmission out is NOT that cheap.

I've always had engagement problems with this flywheel.

So, I'm thinking tranny back, on the crossmember, IF the Zf-5 has room in the tunnel.

The damn thing needs rebuilding anyhow, but where do I draw the line?

I still need to replace the front end (and those parts are collected)

But -of course- money and time never meet.

I'm thinking to replace starter and alternator while the truck is down, but I need to catch up with work now that things are returning to "normal"

And that s why my Bronco sat for so long, you have the time to do the repairs and not the money. Or you have the money and not the time.

I wouldent just replace the ring gear without replacing the pinion at the same time. Just a heads up on the pioneer gear sets, I got talked into rebuilding the rear end in my mini stock, a four banger. The gears gave out about half way through a 20 lap race and ended up costing me a housing to boot so I wouldent recommend them behind your 460.

Is this your daily driver? I would say to do the things that you can do over a week end so you have it on Monday morning.

I wished that you lived closer. I would come over with a service truck with a crane and air and we could have the engine and trans out in about four hours, you get to buy lunch. I wish there was some way to help you out.

And that s why my Bronco sat for so long, you have the time to do the repairs and not the money. Or you have the money and not the time.

I wouldent just replace the ring gear without replacing the pinion at the same time. Just a heads up on the pioneer gear sets, I got talked into rebuilding the rear end in my mini stock, a four banger. The gears gave out about half way through a 20 lap race and ended up costing me a housing to boot so I wouldent recommend them behind your 460.

Is this your daily driver? I would say to do the things that you can do over a week end so you have it on Monday morning.

I wished that you lived closer. I would come over with a service truck with a crane and air and we could have the engine and trans out in about four hours, you get to buy lunch. I wish there was some way to help you out.

I appreciate the heads up on Pioneer.

I figured "American" was likely to be better than Asian, but it's a new world.

Thanks for the offer. It is appreciated! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I think I'm going to try and 'borrow' a wrecker for next weekend.

No problem with a dually 550 sinking in the stone dust of the paddock.

If I have the engine out I can change the leaky pan gasket too! :nabble_smiley_good:

By "pinion" I'm assuming you mean the mating starter gear?

I've got a new one lined up. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm just amazed at the miles you have on it Jim. But everything takes time, doesn't it? I actually really enjoy doing mechanic work, but ONLY when I'm in the mood to do it, and have time/not being pushed. When it's a daily driver it adds a level of stress trying to get everything done with 'convenient' downtime.

Something I'm not very good at doing is rushing...lol. I need to do things at my own speed...and it might drive Mrs. Rembrant crazy on all of the day's that end in a "y". Still, without her push sometimes I do leave things too long.

Can you farm out any of the work to a local shop just to get over the hump?

I'm just amazed at the miles you have on it Jim. But everything takes time, doesn't it? I actually really enjoy doing mechanic work, but ONLY when I'm in the mood to do it, and have time/not being pushed. When it's a daily driver it adds a level of stress trying to get everything done with 'convenient' downtime.

Something I'm not very good at doing is rushing...lol. I need to do things at my own speed...and it might drive Mrs. Rembrant crazy on all of the day's that end in a "y". Still, without her push sometimes I do leave things too long.

Can you farm out any of the work to a local shop just to get over the hump?

I used to drive my ex nuts with my methodology.

I would gather parts as deals showed up and budget allowed.

I try to gather everything, and still end up needing something (like washer bolts and nuts, this last time)

I bit the bullet in April because I was sick of water in the cab.

New windshield, floor, rocker, fender, weld up stress cracks in the radiator support, reseal the cowl and tried to get some paint on it.

It was raining part of every day and the paint took forever.

Still needs a third coat and a buff. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

A shop could certainly pull the engine quicker than me, but the project overflow makes it less of an option.

I have to pull the seat to get the gearbox back onto the crossmember.

If I do, I can change the broken mount.

While the seat I out I can pull my crappy worn through old mat, add the sound damping insulation that I didn't do when I replaced the floor.

While that is out I should cut holes to get at the cab mounts with a hole saw and replace them (because I NOW have them. (I'm just going back with 3 1/2" body plugs, no need for oval plates)

And then I have to drop the pan, change the gasket.

Pull the flywheel and change the ring gear.

If it's out I need to consider replacing the clutch (because, labor)

And if I do that, should the flywheel go to the shop for resurfacing?

If I have the engine out why not do the TTB bushings and D44 while I have much better access???

I know I need (and have!) new ball joints and universals.

The front fluid hasn't been changed in at least a dozen years.

Then obviously new oil and coolant going back in.

Plus a starter, because I can't trust the one that's been out of mesh, and I now have it too.

You see my predicament....

I used to drive my ex nuts with my methodology.

I would gather parts as deals showed up and budget allowed.

I try to gather everything, and still end up needing something (like washer bolts and nuts, this last time)

I bit the bullet in April because I was sick of water in the cab.

New windshield, floor, rocker, fender, weld up stress cracks in the radiator support, reseal the cowl and tried to get some paint on it.

It was raining part of every day and the paint took forever.

Still needs a third coat and a buff. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

A shop could certainly pull the engine quicker than me, but the project overflow makes it less of an option.

I have to pull the seat to get the gearbox back onto the crossmember.

If I do, I can change the broken mount.

While the seat I out I can pull my crappy worn through old mat, add the sound damping insulation that I didn't do when I replaced the floor.

While that is out I should cut holes to get at the cab mounts with a hole saw and replace them (because I NOW have them. (I'm just going back with 3 1/2" body plugs, no need for oval plates)

And then I have to drop the pan, change the gasket.

Pull the flywheel and change the ring gear.

If it's out I need to consider replacing the clutch (because, labor)

And if I do that, should the flywheel go to the shop for resurfacing?

If I have the engine out why not do the TTB bushings and D44 while I have much better access???

I know I need (and have!) new ball joints and universals.

The front fluid hasn't been changed in at least a dozen years.

Then obviously new oil and coolant going back in.

Plus a starter, because I can't trust the one that's been out of mesh, and I now have it too.

Shops aren't of a mind to allow you to supply parts, because that's some of their profit margin.

There's SO much "while I'm there" going on, if I were a shop I would say 'NO'

And I respect that.

Still all this crap has to get done eventually, so why not now?

Because I have jobs backed up from the Covid, and I've made promises I don't want to shirk.

And, I don't have a good place to do it.

Buy a beater with a heater to run for a few weeks/month while you get it all done? Sell it when you're done...easier said than done, I know...

I've considered renting a van.

But I just put too much mileage on.

Buying (registering, actually) is off the table because DMV has been closed for so long, inspections and paperwork/plates are going to take months.

I don't want to deal with it, nor pay the taxes (both sales and property)

I've considered renting a van.

But I just put too much mileage on.

Buying (registering, actually) is off the table because DMV has been closed for so long, inspections and paperwork/plates are going to take months.

I don't want to deal with it, nor pay the taxes (both sales and property)

Man, oh man, that is a LOT of work. But you are right, while you are in there is the time to do it.

As you know, when I get "in there" it takes forever. I feel your pain, but obviously not as acutely as you, when you need to get it back on the road ASAP to earn money. I wish I could help. I really do.