Bullnose Forums

Power Steering Fluid

Among several things that I'm working on now, one of those is changing out the power steering pump. I need to flush the system and bleed it of air. Is there a recommendation on fluid out there? I see there is a synthetic now. Thoughts? Thanks!

I don't know the answers, plural, but I'm interested as I have a "new" system with a Saginaw pump and hydroboost unit, so there's gonna be a lot of air.

Gary, I had read briefly somewhere here about converting over to the Saginaw pump. What is the big deal about that pump vs. the OEM unit?

Gary, I had read briefly somewhere here about converting over to the Saginaw pump. What is the big deal about that pump vs. the OEM unit?

The C-II pump groans and whines while the Saginaw is quiet. And the C-II will puke fluid all over things if you turn the wheel with the engine off, while the Sag won't. Plus, the Sag is said to have more pressure than the C-II, but I think that may be specific to the application the pumps were originally used in.

I use store brand Type F

What about "power steering fluid" vs "automatic transmission fluid"? The owners manual in my '97 calls out ATF. As I'm flushing and refilling the system in my '71 Bronco I asked on a Bronco board about ATF and was jumped all over by people saying that the only reason Ford specified ATF was so they could make more money servicing or replacing vehicles that had their power steering systems die immediately after warranty expired. Sorry, I haven't drank that kool-aid, but I did decide to use power steering fluid when I refilled the Bronco. I just used NAPAs basic fluid.

What about "power steering fluid" vs "automatic transmission fluid"? The owners manual in my '97 calls out ATF. As I'm flushing and refilling the system in my '71 Bronco I asked on a Bronco board about ATF and was jumped all over by people saying that the only reason Ford specified ATF was so they could make more money servicing or replacing vehicles that had their power steering systems die immediately after warranty expired. Sorry, I haven't drank that kool-aid, but I did decide to use power steering fluid when I refilled the Bronco. I just used NAPAs basic fluid.

I've used power steering fluid in these in the past and debated doing so again on the 86. The main reason I didn't with this 'fresh' truck was to stick with the manual so I didn't have to try and remember what I used. :nabble_smiley_happy:

The main reason I didn't with this 'fresh' truck was to stick with the manual so I didn't have to try and remember what I used. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Ha! I try to do that kind of thing whenever possible as well, for the same reason.

Fwiw, I asked RedHead what fluid to use when I bought this steering box and they said they use DextronIII all the time themselves, and recommend it, so that's what I used. I have a newish reman C2 pump from RA, and it runs smooth and quiet. I get a slight chirp out of the belt on start up once in a while, but the system is otherwise smooth and quiet so I've left it alone.

Just a little sip...