Bullnose Forums

Question on different F150 Slip Yokes

Glad that helped a bunch. But fixing one layer always uncovers another layer. :nabble_smiley_cry:

On the splines, in my case both sets of splines were badly worn, meaning the slip yoke and the driveshaft. And the key was being able to move the driveshaft side-to-side when it was mounted.

As for the tires, the Subie we have had a set of tires on it that were slightly out of balance, and when the imbalance got in phase on a smooth road it was noticeable, although on a road with some texture it wasn't. Anyway, as things went in phase and out of phase the vibes would come and go.

This is why I think Clay should check the driveshaft on Rusty.

This is why I think Clay should check the driveshaft on Rusty.

Hadn't thought about the driveshaft. But I think it was on Rusty that I found the spline problem. So I believe the splines are good. However, I didn't have the driveshaft itself checked.

Hadn't thought about the driveshaft. But I think it was on Rusty that I found the spline problem. So I believe the splines are good. However, I didn't have the driveshaft itself checked.

Obviously I'm running a non-Bullnose transmission...it being a manual that takes ATF...are the splines lubricated by the ATF, or am I supposed to put something on them during install?

Obviously I'm running a non-Bullnose transmission...it being a manual that takes ATF...are the splines lubricated by the ATF, or am I supposed to put something on them during install?

Sorry. I forgot the yoke goes into the tranny. I’m used to the two sets of splines being on the driveshaft and the yoke going to the tranny’s output flange via a u-joint.

Your splines are lubed via ATF, and there’s usually very little wear on either the home or the tranny if the tranny has been kept lubed. So choose whichever yoke fits best. And pre-lube the yoke outside and in.

Sorry. I forgot the yoke goes into the tranny. I’m used to the two sets of splines being on the driveshaft and the yoke going to the tranny’s output flange via a u-joint.

Your splines are lubed via ATF, and there’s usually very little wear on either the home or the tranny if the tranny has been kept lubed. So choose whichever yoke fits best. And pre-lube the yoke outside and in.

I have not heard of the transmission out put splines wearing just the yoke.

Now you know there is a bushing in the transmission tail housing that supports the outer part of the yoke that can wear.

I have a little vibration just over 65 MPH, like 67 to 69 MPH and nothing at 70 or higher that I can feel.

I know my drive shaft has a dent I found when I was cleaning & painting it.

My tires are new and were balanced when mounted and dose not feel like a tire vibration but a drive line or motor vibration. It also feels like it is coming from the center of the truck not at a corner like a tire would.

My next big upgrade will also include a drive shaft mod, shorten & rebalance, with a transmission swap so if it is gone it was 1 of the 2 items.

Guess it could be the transmission? In granny and reverse it clicks like a chipped gear and the way it shifts at times, so we will see.

Dave ----

Now you know there is a bushing in the transmission tail housing that supports the outer part of the yoke that can wear.

Ya, my brother in law and I were talking about that tailshaft bushing. It looks like it would be fairly easy to replace, and I know they are available as I've seen them. I think I might leave that for a winter project.

Ya, my brother in law and I were talking about that tailshaft bushing. It looks like it would be fairly easy to replace, and I know they are available as I've seen them. I think I might leave that for a winter project.

Just adding some trivia , The driveshaft on my F150 ex AOD , did not need to be altered, for the installation of a Tremec TR3550 same as TR4250 same spline, same length , speedo cable straight in , no mods to crossmember. No bad vibes :nabble_anim_crazy: Cheers.

Just adding some trivia , The driveshaft on my F150 ex AOD , did not need to be altered, for the installation of a Tremec TR3550 same as TR4250 same spline, same length , speedo cable straight in , no mods to crossmember. No bad vibes :nabble_anim_crazy: Cheers.

Sure is nice when a swap fits together like that. I must say 5spd swap was pretty good. Same driveshaft fit, and the speedo cable plugged right in. I already had a hydraulic clutch, so that part was easy too.