Bullnose Forums

PMGR starter for 1984 302 automatic

Thanks a lot for all your answers.

3. I believe the engagement of the starter is not the issue. I can hear it working „hard“ trying to spin (its not a turning loose sound)

Can it be that it is no turning fast enough because the starter wont get enough power?

So when i had the issue this week at the gas station the starter turned, engine would crank but not start.

Can it be something else as well (fuel pump etc)? What should i check?

Cheers

The next time you encounter the slow turning starter, disconnect the ignition coil wire and then turn the key to start to see if it spins more quickly. If it does, the slow turning has to do with ignition timing.

Thanks a lot for all your answers.

3. I believe the engagement of the starter is not the issue. I can hear it working „hard“ trying to spin (its not a turning loose sound)

Can it be that it is no turning fast enough because the starter wont get enough power?

So when i had the issue this week at the gas station the starter turned, engine would crank but not start.

Can it be something else as well (fuel pump etc)? What should i check?

Cheers

The next time you encounter the slow turning starter, disconnect the ignition coil wire and then turn the key to start to see if it spins more quickly. If it does, the slow turning has to do with ignition timing.

:nabble_anim_handshake:. This is great advice David!

Its so cool to have you guys. Thanks so much.

Getting infos in Germany is so hard....

Another issue i had 10 years ago with a big block 428 starter was virtualy the same , and in the end it was the bushes in the starter motor and when they get worn the armature gets pulled to one side and that drags it down , and this is called poleing , i run a geared starter as they are alot easier on the electrical system , the Ford Rat trap starters need really good power supply ..Cheers Vaughn.

Another issue i had 10 years ago with a big block 428 starter was virtualy the same , and in the end it was the bushes in the starter motor and when they get worn the armature gets pulled to one side and that drags it down , and this is called poleing , i run a geared starter as they are alot easier on the electrical system , the Ford Rat trap starters need really good power supply ..Cheers Vaughn.

He says he got a new Carquest starter installed a couple of months ago.

Do you think it would wear out so fast?

I know the PMGR I bought has a needle bearing in the snout, but I think it is only bushes in the motor.

He says he got a new Carquest starter installed a couple of months ago.

Do you think it would wear out so fast?

I know the PMGR I bought has a needle bearing in the snout, but I think it is only bushes in the motor.

Didnt see that , just thought id mention that , as some people have never come across it , also a lack of good earths is an issue , geared starters have pleanty of torque .

Didnt see that , just thought id mention that , as some people have never come across it , also a lack of good earths is an issue , geared starters have pleanty of torque .

Gary, I looked at your picture with the grandtwins and said "good grief, if you wore glasses and had a mustache, we could pass for brothers."