Bullnose Forums

86 F350 1 ton Dump Resurrection

Pizzadude

Not having the thermactor connected is going to kill your emissions.

The pumps force A.I.R. into the exhaust manifolds and burn off HC & CO before they get out the tail pipe.

Not uncommon for the crossover to rot out if there's not air being pumped in, because otherwise it's filled with ultra rich exhaust all the time

I was thinking about this and realized this is definitely the issue with the smog numbers but it would not contribute to the erratic idle correct?

I started taking the spark plugs out and 1234 all had sooty carbon on them.

When removing the #3 the threads on the end of the plug mashed. This happened as I was REMOVING the plug which to me makes no sense.

Anyway I picked up an few new plugs (autolite 25) and I'm about to put it back in. I tried another plug and I believe the first thread turn on the head is damaged. I purchased a thread chaser that has slots to apply grease to catch anything that comes loose and I'm going to see if it fixes it.

I was told these trucks have a history of this happening. Is there any advice as to how avoid it happening with the other 4 I have yet to take out?

I'm assuming the carbon on the plugs is contributing to the idle issue.

But what could be causing the carbon build up?

Thank you again.

IMG_20200626_101423.jpg.d1fca68381a3ecba85fc5db73133ea83.jpg

IMG_20200626_101449.thumb.jpg.25f44a15b3ff96b3d6e354c1b377de95.jpg

I was thinking about this and realized this is definitely the issue with the smog numbers but it would not contribute to the erratic idle correct?

I started taking the spark plugs out and 1234 all had sooty carbon on them.

When removing the #3 the threads on the end of the plug mashed. This happened as I was REMOVING the plug which to me makes no sense.

Anyway I picked up an few new plugs (autolite 25) and I'm about to put it back in. I tried another plug and I believe the first thread turn on the head is damaged. I purchased a thread chaser that has slots to apply grease to catch anything that comes loose and I'm going to see if it fixes it.

I was told these trucks have a history of this happening. Is there any advice as to how avoid it happening with the other 4 I have yet to take out?

I'm assuming the carbon on the plugs is contributing to the idle issue.

But what could be causing the carbon build up?

Thank you again.

I've never had an issue with damaged threads, in thirty three years of ownership.

Soot could be an incredibly rich mixture (blown power valve) or it could be oil (from the pcv, the intake valve guides or worn rings)

You might try a leakdown test.

If it didn't show the problem it could at least eliminate some possibilities

I've never had an issue with damaged threads, in thirty three years of ownership.

Soot could be an incredibly rich mixture (blown power valve) or it could be oil (from the pcv, the intake valve guides or worn rings)

You might try a leakdown test.

If it didn't show the problem it could at least eliminate some possibilities

Thank you again,

The power valve is new and the gaskets all part of the carb rebuild.

I got all the plugs out and back in. That tool worked well but I only needed it for the #3 plug.

The soot was on #12345 and 7. # 6 & 8 were normal looking.

Is the air tube contributing to the idle issue? If so I'm not even going to try to deal with it till I take it in.

I found the secondary air tube in Minnesota, the next morning they sent me an email saying they no longer stock it nor can get it.

I tried Auto Zone they have it on the website but when you try to buy it's out of stock can't get it. They can not order it from the store same deal not in stock can't order. No local store has it. We have a huge carquest distribution center here locally and they don't have and can not get it.

Im sure I can find one at the junkyard but not positive.

Thank you again,

The power valve is new and the gaskets all part of the carb rebuild.

I got all the plugs out and back in. That tool worked well but I only needed it for the #3 plug.

The soot was on #12345 and 7. # 6 & 8 were normal looking.

Is the air tube contributing to the idle issue? If so I'm not even going to try to deal with it till I take it in.

I found the secondary air tube in Minnesota, the next morning they sent me an email saying they no longer stock it nor can get it.

I tried Auto Zone they have it on the website but when you try to buy it's out of stock can't get it. They can not order it from the store same deal not in stock can't order. No local store has it. We have a huge carquest distribution center here locally and they don't have and can not get it.

Im sure I can find one at the junkyard but not positive.

Finding it might not be as hard as getting it out it in one piece.

Not sure why there aren't any more.

Being a 33 y.o. engine must be a big part of it.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

What exactly does this mean?

That finding a carbureted 460 in a junkyard shouldn't be too difficult, but most of them are going to have deteriorated crossovers.

And prying it loose from the back of the heads with the firewall right there is not going to be a delicate process.

What exactly does this mean?

That finding a carbureted 460 in a junkyard shouldn't be too difficult, but most of them are going to have deteriorated crossovers.

And prying it loose from the back of the heads with the firewall right there is not going to be a delicate process.

I hope you're able to get one intact. :nabble_smiley_good:

I hope you're able to get one intact. :nabble_smiley_good:

I see Thank you. Just so it's doable. I mean really I just think I'm going to leave it up to the smog people.

The labor and materials are included in that voucher thing so they can deal with it.

Its a good thing I have not found it because I called today and they said they cannot put "my part" on THEY have to get it themselves.lol

I called thinking ok I will order it so it will be here for them instead of waiting but even if I had found it they will not accept it. Crazy. I'm going to try the manufacturer tomorrow.

I gave up on the missing or whatever the hell the completely inconsistent idle issue is. I might do a leakdown test tonight.

There is no smoke other than black and now there is none when I mash the gas.