Bullnose Forums

Water Leak

fords4life

absolutely! the real issue here is access. you should not seal it from the inside for sure and the only true access will be with the cowl removed along with the driver side fender. it is not really a big deal but there are a lot of fasteners and keeping track of "what went where". phone camera is your friend! you were in this for the adventure, right?

It's an adventure, you can say that again. So if I take the fender off, that opens up the vertical drain for access from the outside? I was thinking it would still be closed off by an intervening panel. I'll look into that. Thanks.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely! the real issue here is access. you should not seal it from the inside for sure and the only true access will be with the cowl removed along with the driver side fender. it is not really a big deal but there are a lot of fasteners and keeping track of "what went where". phone camera is your friend! you were in this for the adventure, right?

It's an adventure, you can say that again. So if I take the fender off, that opens up the vertical drain for access from the outside? I was thinking it would still be closed off by an intervening panel. I'll look into that. Thanks.

take a look at another thread here. " my babys got the blues".

not only is it a great color but its an exposed cab. you can look closely and see how the air box duct is made

You'll only have access through the cowl drain, but that allows you to poke around and seal almost everything that you can't from the access panel.

I have pictures here on the forum somewhere....

But here is the drain on Gary's dad's truck.

Duck_Bill.thumb.jpg.ac22ed1d9aae02ccbb50604fb27f2992.jpg

You'll only have access through the cowl drain, but that allows you to poke around and seal almost everything that you can't from the access panel.

I have pictures here on the forum somewhere....

But here is the drain on Gary's dad's truck.

Thanks. It seems like, whatever access I'd have through the drain flap port, I'd have that same level of access or better through the interior with the kick panel removed, no? I'm happy to take the fender off to get access to the flap port, but just want to make sure there's going to be a benefit.

I have some ACDelco medium body seem sealer left over from when I did the seem in the cowl. I also have a couple cans of rubberized undercoating spray. Can I just use that seam sealer for this job too? Maybe spray the undercoating on top of the seem sealer once cured for good measure?

And do y'all recommend I hit the entire expanse of these seems all the way up/down/across the vertical vent/drain? Or just the the area of the seems approaching the triple joint.

Finally, how is it that these seems were never sealed originally? Just seems strange to me they weren't factory sealed if they are leaking.

Thanks. It seems like, whatever access I'd have through the drain flap port, I'd have that same level of access or better through the interior with the kick panel removed, no? I'm happy to take the fender off to get access to the flap port, but just want to make sure there's going to be a benefit.

I have some ACDelco medium body seem sealer left over from when I did the seem in the cowl. I also have a couple cans of rubberized undercoating spray. Can I just use that seam sealer for this job too? Maybe spray the undercoating on top of the seem sealer once cured for good measure?

And do y'all recommend I hit the entire expanse of these seems all the way up/down/across the vertical vent/drain? Or just the the area of the seems approaching the triple joint.

Finally, how is it that these seems were never sealed originally? Just seems strange to me they weren't factory sealed if they are leaking.

The drain is at the front of the 'down' duct from the cowl.

It offers better access to the foot well side, and some access to the vertical.

I didn't have to stand on my head and twist my hand around backwards to get in there with the fender removed.

My fender was coming off anyhow so I can't say what you should do.

I'm not a fan of rubberized undercoat, but I live in Connecticut where salt and slush eat these trucks up.

Once water gets behind it the cancer just travels.

If you have seam sealer by all means use it.

I definitely sealed all seams in that pocket.

Some places I needed to improvise tools to force the bead in and smooth it.

You seem to have found the leak before I did.

I had to replace the floor and some of the metal that came down to meet it.

The drain is at the front of the 'down' duct from the cowl.

It offers better access to the foot well side, and some access to the vertical.

I didn't have to stand on my head and twist my hand around backwards to get in there with the fender removed.

My fender was coming off anyhow so I can't say what you should do.

I'm not a fan of rubberized undercoat, but I live in Connecticut where salt and slush eat these trucks up.

Once water gets behind it the cancer just travels.

If you have seam sealer by all means use it.

I definitely sealed all seams in that pocket.

Some places I needed to improvise tools to force the bead in and smooth it.

You seem to have found the leak before I did.

I had to replace the floor and some of the metal that came down to meet it.

Thanks, Jim. I'm going to try to do it this weekend and will report back. I'm so ready to tackle these leaks once and for all. Optimistic this is the last of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Jim. I'm going to try to do it this weekend and will report back. I'm so ready to tackle these leaks once and for all. Optimistic this is the last of it.

Jim, wanted to let you know I nipped that last remaining leak in the bud. Seam sealer did the trick. I was able to get it in there without taking off the fender, but it wasn't easy like you said. Nor is it pretty, but only I'll know, ha!

Jim, wanted to let you know I nipped that last remaining leak in the bud. Seam sealer did the trick. I was able to get it in there without taking off the fender, but it wasn't easy like you said. Nor is it pretty, but only I'll know, ha!

I'm glad you were able to get it done from inside the cab!

It must be a real relief not to have it wet when it rains.

Also anything that stops the cancer is a GREAT day. :nabble_anim_jump:

• 1 year later...

I have a leak into the passenger door channel that is underneath the threshold plate. Is there a second drain channel for the cowl on that side?

I wonder if I could spray water into the cowl to see if it drains and maybe free up the flow by doing that. Or to snake the drain exit with a bass guitar string. From what I read there is only one drain canal and it's into the drivers side wheel well. Is that correct?