Bullnose Forums

Water Leak

fords4life

Bill, I have an endoscope for my phone.

It will fit places you don't want to think about. 😉

But I should check before winter.

I have probably the same one. At the time I did this, my buddy John had my large borescope as the display is removable and can be used as a small video screen. He was installing security cameras and was using it to check the aim and focus on them. The little endoscopes hadn't come out then.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A problem I found on Darth was the right side air inlet area had no seam sealer anywhere, it was just painted metal. As a result I had a water leak coming from the triple joint when the floor, firewall and cowl side meet, it would run down under the edge of the carpet and sit where the sill plate screws down over the edge of the carpet.

Hi folks, new to the forum. I'm having the exact same leak in my '86, where the three joints meet in the vertical cowl drain on the driver's side.

Any tips for getting that corner sealed considering the tight space? And do I need to seal the whole span of the three seams, or just in and around the area where they all meet?

Also, the leak is somehow getting inside from that corner through the sealant on the interior floor seam, right at that corner. Should I also reseal the interior seam at that corner? If so, any tips on that? I assume I'd need to remove the old seal around that area.

Thanks y'all.

Hi folks, new to the forum. I'm having the exact same leak in my '86, where the three joints meet in the vertical cowl drain on the driver's side.

Any tips for getting that corner sealed considering the tight space? And do I need to seal the whole span of the three seams, or just in and around the area where they all meet?

Also, the leak is somehow getting inside from that corner through the sealant on the interior floor seam, right at that corner. Should I also reseal the interior seam at that corner? If so, any tips on that? I assume I'd need to remove the old seal around that area.

Thanks y'all.

Hi. Glad you joined.

But you may have missed the email you were sent that asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder and post an introduction. That’s important for two reasons. First, we keep the guidelines there and since we hold everyone to them we want to ensure you have a chance of seeing them.

Second, we are a community and, as such, we like to get to know each other. So an introduction is important.

Hi. Glad you joined.

But you may have missed the email you were sent that asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder and post an introduction. That’s important for two reasons. First, we keep the guidelines there and since we hold everyone to them we want to ensure you have a chance of seeing them.

Second, we are a community and, as such, we like to get to know each other. So an introduction is important.

Gary, thanks for the reminder. Introduction posted.

Gary, thanks for the reminder. Introduction posted.

Well done. Thanks.

Wish I could help on the water leak, but I've not yet had to work on a leak there. However, are you sure the water isn't coming in the kick panel? There's either a vent or a block-off plate behind the kick panel and debris builds up between the fender and the cab and water can come in there.

Thanks y'all.

If the water is coming through the floor seam it is into the door hinge pillar.

If your truck has kick vents it is fairly easy to remove them and have a look with an inspection mirror.

If you don't, remove the block off plates. (Driver's side you will probably have to take down the parking brake)

Pulling back the fender liners to remove the cowl drains for cleaning would be good too.

It's important to remove the rotting leaves/mud because that stuff stays wet and the rust will never stop.

Dry the recess out well and remove any loose rust.

I put cold galvanizing, seam sealer and then sloppy amounts of enamel in there because I had the fender off anyway.

POR-15 would probably work well to consolidate and seal that pocket too, though I've never tried it.

If the water is coming through the floor seam it is into the door hinge pillar.

If your truck has kick vents it is fairly easy to remove them and have a look with an inspection mirror.

If you don't, remove the block off plates. (Driver's side you will probably have to take down the parking brake)

Pulling back the fender liners to remove the cowl drains for cleaning would be good too.

It's important to remove the rotting leaves/mud because that stuff stays wet and the rust will never stop.

Dry the recess out well and remove any loose rust.

I put cold galvanizing, seam sealer and then sloppy amounts of enamel in there because I had the fender off anyway.

POR-15 would probably work well to consolidate and seal that pocket too, though I've never tried it.

I've had the kick vent off for a while now since I've been diagnosing this. I gave the cowl drains a good cleaning. They are draining freely and there is no debris.

Here's a picture to better explain. The water appears to be coming in through the area of the interior seem that I've circled in red. I believe that area is just opposite where the three seems meet on the other side, but I could be a little off.

(Ignore the duct tape. It's just there to block that screw hole while I run water into the cowl.)

IMG_4491.jpg.451cd005e9af711be5c6567a8305d123.jpg

I've had the kick vent off for a while now since I've been diagnosing this. I gave the cowl drains a good cleaning. They are draining freely and there is no debris.

Here's a picture to better explain. The water appears to be coming in through the area of the interior seem that I've circled in red. I believe that area is just opposite where the three seems meet on the other side, but I could be a little off.

(Ignore the duct tape. It's just there to block that screw hole while I run water into the cowl.)

A picture's worth a thousand words.... 👍

You're pouring the water in right there?

So you can be sure it isn't running down from above.

Only asking because I had some pretty good rust going all across the pinch weld (ledge) in front of the pedal box too!

If you have already cleaned out all the debris and loose rust you should probably treat it with phosphoric acid or an etching epoxy primer, then seal all the seams in there for good measure.

Only asking because I had some pretty good rust going all across the pinch weld (ledge) in front of the pedal box too!

If you have already cleaned out all the debris and loose rust you should probably treat it with phosphoric acid or an etching epoxy primer, then seal all the seams in there for good measure.

absolutely! the real issue here is access. you should not seal it from the inside for sure and the only true access will be with the cowl removed along with the driver side fender. it is not really a big deal but there are a lot of fasteners and keeping track of "what went where". phone camera is your friend! you were in this for the adventure, right?

I'm hoping all that rust you see across the pinch weld (ledge) in front of the pedal box was due to years of leaking from the old cracked horizontal seem sealer in my cowl. I removed all that old sealer and resealed last weekend. Fingers crossed that's fixed. I ran a ton of water in the cowl today and didn't see any more water coming in from that ledge. Just from that one circled area you see.

That's a good idea to pour the water in right at the triple joint. I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back.