Bullnose Forums

Water Leak

fords4life

Well.... That might be an understatement... It was more like a flood. Went through a drive through car wash and had a good if water coming out the driver's side air vent under the dash. Assuming it came through the cowl vent and down that way, but seems like that shouldn't happen. Any thoughts?:nabble_smiley_teeth::nabble_anim_drunk:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does happen.

Usually the cowl drains get clogged with leaves and dirt.

Then the resulting 'mud' causes the inner panel to rust through.

Since the water can't get out it follows the path of least resistance.

You can also check that the windshield is not leaking and the resulting water running across the top of the firewall seam down the drivers side.

Also check the caulk in the rain gutter and the seam between there and the top of the windshield.

All of these have happened to me.

I had three leaks that I found when I bought my '82. One was a hole for the antenna that was added. One was a screw hole that held the clean out cover behind the kick panel. It needed cleaned and the water was backing up to the screw and leaking out. Third was a seam under the windshield. I had no cowl rust. But these three leaks had the area under the rubber mat, soaking wet. I fixed these then did a complete redo of the interior, with carpet. Nothing is leaking.

• 1 year later...

I had three leaks that I found when I bought my '82. One was a hole for the antenna that was added. One was a screw hole that held the clean out cover behind the kick panel. It needed cleaned and the water was backing up to the screw and leaking out. Third was a seam under the windshield. I had no cowl rust. But these three leaks had the area under the rubber mat, soaking wet. I fixed these then did a complete redo of the interior, with carpet. Nothing is leaking.

Where is this clean out cover you speak of?

I have the same leak?

Where is this clean out cover you speak of?

I have the same leak?

The cowl drains are behind the plastic fender liners on either side.

They look like a rubber wedge with a slit in the end.

I posted pics when I had my cowl open to change the wiper motor.

I don't have it as bad because my polka dot cowl doesn't let in as much leaves and garbage.

(You can retrofit these from '87-'91)

I didn't put them back, because if a mouse wants to get in, it's going to get in...

The cowl drains are behind the plastic fender liners on either side.

They look like a rubber wedge with a slit in the end.

I posted pics when I had my cowl open to change the wiper motor.

I don't have it as bad because my polka dot cowl doesn't let in as much leaves and garbage.

(You can retrofit these from '87-'91)

I didn't put them back, because if a mouse wants to get in, it's going to get in...

Mid August in the WHYDTYTT thread.....

Mid August in the WHYDTYTT thread.....

A problem I found on Darth was the right side air inlet area had no seam sealer anywhere, it was just painted metal. As a result I had a water leak coming from the triple joint when the floor, firewall and cowl side meet, it would run down under the edge of the carpet and sit where the sill plate screws down over the edge of the carpet.

A problem I found on Darth was the right side air inlet area had no seam sealer anywhere, it was just painted metal. As a result I had a water leak coming from the triple joint when the floor, firewall and cowl side meet, it would run down under the edge of the carpet and sit where the sill plate screws down over the edge of the carpet.

That corner is always a problem Bill.

Any way to get the seams sealed, way down in the sides of the cowl?

I let low modulus (self leveling, Sika brand) masonry sealant ooze down the seams, but really need to send the scope in to see if it did the job.

That corner is always a problem Bill.

Any way to get the seams sealed, way down in the sides of the cowl?

I let low modulus (self leveling, Sika brand) masonry sealant ooze down the seams, but really need to send the scope in to see if it did the job.

Jim, I used some heavy undercoat I bought from Lowe's. I used my phone to take before and after pictures. I have a large borescope (head just barely fits through an aircraft plug hole) and a smaller one that works with my phone. I cleaned out everything then sprayed it, checked it and re-sprayed.

Before, note no sealant of any kind

Right_airbox_before.thumb.jpg.178f713349725912792fc608f5dca4ca.jpg

After, with plenty of undercoating

Right_airbox_after.thumb.jpg.398e8c28069a98f31b3d66dfdca49dcb.jpg

I had the carpet out, and had gone out to the truck in a pouring rain to locate the leak, right at the junction, the first picture is looking right at that area.

Jim, I used some heavy undercoat I bought from Lowe's. I used my phone to take before and after pictures. I have a large borescope (head just barely fits through an aircraft plug hole) and a smaller one that works with my phone. I cleaned out everything then sprayed it, checked it and re-sprayed.

Before, note no sealant of any kind

After, with plenty of undercoating

I had the carpet out, and had gone out to the truck in a pouring rain to locate the leak, right at the junction, the first picture is looking right at that area.

Bill, I have an endoscope for my phone.

It will fit places you don't want to think about. 😉

But I should check before winter.