Bullnose Forums

Hi! My name is Jameson, and I live in Ann Arbor, MI. I purchased a 1986 F150 300 Six, 4speed manual, 2wd, longbed in December and have fallen in love with her (as well as quickly discovered what I'm getting myself into :nabble_smiley_grin:). IMG_0060.jpg.f93665bc8c9282f9ed70f7d273f4f14d.jpgMechanically she runs pretty nice, I rebuilt the carb a few weekends ago. She has only ever let me down once when one of the coolant lines burst open on the road, but that was my negligence not addressing old rubber hoses. She is pretty rusty, but the frame and other vital components are pretty good. I intend to take a welding class when this whole fiasco is cooled down a little and do the floor pans, rockers, cab corners, and bed sides this winter and then get her a nice new coat of paint in the spring. Finding this forum was like finding a goldmine in January! It has been so helpful and inspiring to see other's awesome projects. This is my first venture into the world of working on vehicles outside of oil and brakes and am very glad to have found this resource + community.

Now: the reason I decided to finally make an account. My truck originally came with a solid rear window, and for the summer I wanted a slider. To make a long story short I have ended up with two and cannot find the correct gaskets for either. The one I would really like to use is (to my understanding) a factory slider from an 73-81 truck.78AB90B2-7F37-4A03-892D-010C6048581D.jpg.c86ba9644fbe763f4d1e5259df6c4718.jpg

My understanding to what gasket I need for it comes from this FTE post https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1132438-replace-rear-window.html . Going from this (and others I saw) the gasket I need is D3TZ-1042084-A. I ordered this from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, but it seems wrong to me. it only has one channel and seems way too narrow for the width of the window. C865D771-544E-4A54-B1C8-0E3BB4EEB8DC.jpg.b505920eac186c779e458190a7b4f75f.jpg

7A6DB122-877F-403E-BFB5-022B1D6F6FAE.jpg.11d05f7376b9c4c3e4e79b194368380c.jpg

5B37CCCA-E800-47CB-B630-11045E37A608.jpg.d829486a5121d8202d71489c87718ac5.jpg

I realize now that the picture with the gasket doesn't really show my predicament, but the gasket only goes maybe 2/3 across the frame when stretched. Which gasket do I need? If I need to repost my question somewhere else I will do so. Thanks!

Welcome Jameson! :nabble_waving_orig:

I'm making you a 'member' so you can post anywhere now.

I've had the exact opposite problem. (Aftermarket slider didn't fit my factory slider gasket)

The proper -wide channel- one is available from LMC I believe.

Let me see....

Welcome, Jameson! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

By virtue of having posted here, and assuming you've therefore read the guidelines, I now promote you to Member! That means you can post anywhere in the forum save for the Admin-only section.

And, you might want to repost your question about the rear window gasket in a new thread in the main section. The reason being that you may get more coverage there. And one approach is to start a thread there about your truck and use that question as part of your first post. That way you have a record of what you are doing/have done on your truck. But how you do it is your call.

Also, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you in Ann Arbor with your permission.

Also, we've had some discussion re the slider gasket recently, so if someone doesn't quickly answer your question I'll be surprised. And, I'll go looking......:nabble_anim_working:

That is for brushed aluminum sliders up to 1981.

You need the later E2TZ-1042084-A for your '86.

And note, you need the chrome plastic locking strip too.

Well, my bad..

I didn't see that you're trying to use an old '73-'81 slider.

In that case I think the gasket fits over only the center rib.

If you can get it to fit in your opening it should seal when pulled into place.

Sorry I jumped the gun. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Well, my bad..

Welcome!

Welcome, Jameson! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

By virtue of having posted here, and assuming you've therefore read the guidelines, I now promote you to Member! That means you can post anywhere in the forum save for the Admin-only section.

And, you might want to repost your question about the rear window gasket in a new thread in the main section. The reason being that you may get more coverage there. And one approach is to start a thread there about your truck and use that question as part of your first post. That way you have a record of what you are doing/have done on your truck. But how you do it is your call.

Also, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you in Ann Arbor with your permission.

Also, we've had some discussion re the slider gasket recently, so if someone doesn't quickly answer your question I'll be surprised. And, I'll go looking......:nabble_anim_working:

Okay! Thank you. Yes, please add me to the map for Ann Arbor.

Well, my bad..

No problem. I'm pretty sure now that I've taken a look at the glass and the way the rib is that I have an aftermarket slider. The rib just seems too tall, and I know I have the gasket that should fit right on it when it's seated. The label is marked CAL-TUF. Thank you, though.

No problem. I'm pretty sure now that I've taken a look at the glass and the way the rib is that I have an aftermarket slider. The rib just seems too tall, and I know I have the gasket that should fit right on it when it's seated. The label is marked CAL-TUF. Thank you, though.

I'd think a Ford window would be marked *Carlite or LOF (Libby, Owens, Ford) on the glass.