Bullnose Forums

Front axel replacement

Good!

My experience with that slip joint was that it took a lot of force to get it to come apart. And you don't have a lot of room in which to work. Hope it comes apart for you. Or, maybe it already has?

Made some good progress today, the axel came out with out much problem.

But I discovered the inter u joint was bad also. After reading the post, I really didn’t want to open the differential, I was able to remove the locking clips but couldn’t get anything on the u joint to press it apart. I decided to remove the bolt from the left side axel housing at the pivot point and see if the differential would lower enough to get the tool on. It did😀

I was able to press the caps off and remove the slip joint housing. Replacement of the u joint went smooth and putting it back in was not a problem.

While trying to put the axel back in it would not go through the spindle housing opening ( I think that’s what its called) anyway I had to file away some of the metal to get the u joint through the opening. After that it all slipped right into place.

Tomorrow will be cleaning the hub and installing new bearing and races.

Thanks again for your help and good instructions.

But I discovered the inter u joint was bad also. After reading the post, I really didn’t want to open the differential, I was able to remove the locking clips but couldn’t get anything on the u joint to press it apart. I decided to remove the bolt from the left side axel housing at the pivot point and see if the differential would lower enough to get the tool on. It did😀

I was able to press the caps off and remove the slip joint housing. Replacement of the u joint went smooth and putting it back in was not a problem.

While trying to put the axel back in it would not go through the spindle housing opening ( I think that’s what its called) anyway I had to file away some of the metal to get the u joint through the opening. After that it all slipped right into place.

David - Glad it worked. And it looks like you figured out a couple of slick tricks to do it. Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Great job! :nabble_smiley_good:

I guess I need to dive into mine with the good weather were having now.

Seals, bushings, ball joints, and pivots.

I definitely intend to open the pumpkin because I haven't changed the gear oil in 100,000 miles.

Great job! :nabble_smiley_good:

I guess I need to dive into mine with the good weather were having now.

Seals, bushings, ball joints, and pivots.

I definitely intend to open the pumpkin because I haven't changed the gear oil in 100,000 miles.

Whoops, while cleaning the hub and inspecting the races, I discovered the boot from the slip joint on the work bench. So I’m going pull it back apart to put it in.

So I put everything away, pulled the Goldwing out and enjoyed the afternoon, rode a couple of back roads with lots of curves. Had a hamburger and Coke at Sonics drive in. Haven’t done that in a couple of years.

With the holiday don’t think I’m going to do anything till Tuesday, maybe talk the wife into riding over to the Smokey Mountains.

Enjoy Memorial Day, and remember the men and women who gave their lives for us.

Whoops, while cleaning the hub and inspecting the races, I discovered the boot from the slip joint on the work bench. So I’m going pull it back apart to put it in.

So I put everything away, pulled the Goldwing out and enjoyed the afternoon, rode a couple of back roads with lots of curves. Had a hamburger and Coke at Sonics drive in. Haven’t done that in a couple of years.

With the holiday don’t think I’m going to do anything till Tuesday, maybe talk the wife into riding over to the Smokey Mountains.

Enjoy Memorial Day, and remember the men and women who gave their lives for us.

Enjoy the ride!

I've hit ' The Tail of the Dragon' a couple of times.

It's beautiful country!

Blue Ridge Parkway is amazing too.

Enjoy the ride!

I've hit ' The Tail of the Dragon' a couple of times.

It's beautiful country!

Blue Ridge Parkway is amazing too.

Yes I agree, I’ve done the dragon a couple of years back, blue ridge park way once on the bike, but in the car 4 or 5. I really like that trip.