Bullnose Forums

Question: Cruise Control Horn pads - Burlwood?

Jim, I have a couple hypotheses on this. One is than vans used this horn pad later into the 80’s and at some point all service parts became this type. Even the 82/83 only XLS brushed silver one with the “E2xxx” part number (that was never used in a van) had a service part with van features. My other hypothesis is that pickup trucks lead a much harder life than vans, and when the plastic pieces started to disintegrate and fade they were swapped out with van horn pads. I think pickups generally stayed in service longer, so vans may have been more plentiful in junkyards and had better condition interiors. To this day I like to check vans and RV’s because they tend to have nice horn pads/steering wheels and unaffected HVAC controls (and potentially Saginaw brackets).

Here is one from 1988:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-85-86-FORD-TRUCK-BRONCO-85-91-VAN-HORN-PAD-W-CRUISE-E8UZ-13A805-C/352881095605?hash=item52295a33b5:g:KwAAAOSw~QVd6qX0

And a Dennis Carpenter reproduction for 1987:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HORN-BAR-SWITCH-AND-PAD-80-86-FORD-TRUCK-80-86-BRONCO-E7UZ-13A805-A/283798851532?epid=1722188429&hash=item4213bacfcc:g:gWMAAOSw9EteWWSB

Jim, I have a couple hypotheses on this. One is than vans used this horn pad later into the 80’s and at some point all service parts became this type. Even the 82/83 only XLS brushed silver one with the “E2xxx” part number (that was never used in a van) had a service part with van features. My other hypothesis is that pickup trucks lead a much harder life than vans, and when the plastic pieces started to disintegrate and fade they were swapped out with van horn pads. I think pickups generally stayed in service longer, so vans may have been more plentiful in junkyards and had better condition interiors. To this day I like to check vans and RV’s because they tend to have nice horn pads/steering wheels and unaffected HVAC controls (and potentially Saginaw brackets).

Here is one from 1988:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-85-86-FORD-TRUCK-BRONCO-85-91-VAN-HORN-PAD-W-CRUISE-E8UZ-13A805-C/352881095605?hash=item52295a33b5:g:KwAAAOSw~QVd6qX0

And a Dennis Carpenter reproduction for 1987:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HORN-BAR-SWITCH-AND-PAD-80-86-FORD-TRUCK-80-86-BRONCO-E7UZ-13A805-A/283798851532?epid=1722188429&hash=item4213bacfcc:g:gWMAAOSw9EteWWSB

So although sold on eBay as Truck parts they have a Van "U" part number.

I have a feeling these sellers are ignorant, not that Ford made these for F-Series trucks.

So although sold on eBay as Truck parts they have a Van "U" part number.

I have a feeling these sellers are ignorant, not that Ford made these for F-Series trucks.

The funny thing is, they were sold under truck part numbers but had van emblems and trumpet icons. Ford went down to one style and the service parts didn’t match the original. That was my point about the XLS horn pad that Chris McGaugh bought. It had the correct 1982 Ford truck part number yet had the van type features. It was a NOS service part.

The funny thing is, they were sold under truck part numbers but had van emblems and trumpet icons. Ford went down to one style and the service parts didn’t match the original. That was my point about the XLS horn pad that Chris McGaugh bought. It had the correct 1982 Ford truck part number yet had the van type features. It was a NOS service part.

So it was E2TZ- ???

Yes...

Maybe they didn't wear out the moulds for the econoline horn pads, and figured it was "close enough"?

Functionally the same at any rate.

I doubt Ford made nearly as many vans as pickups back then.

Interesting that David's eBay finds are E7 & E8 but are >'86 style, not Bricknose at all.

Hi all,

Quick question on the horn pads in the later trucks that came with burlwood interiors (rather than the earlier rosewood):

Our 1985 XL has burlwood dash and radio bezels, but it has a horn pad with cruise that I thought may have come from a Bronco. It looks like it matches the earlier Rosewood.

That said, I've started looking around for what would be the proper 1985 - year cruise control horn pad, and I can't seem to find pics of a burlwood one anyplace.

So my question: Could this horn pad have been original to the truck?

No, that cruise control pad was *not* original to your truck.

According to my 1985 Sales Brochure, an XL model would have had a plain, black horn pad. I guess that means that cruise control wasn't even an option on an XL model.

The XLT Lariat was the only trim package that came with the soft grip steering wheel with Burlwood (1985/1986) woodtone insert. Every one I have seen has cruise control.

Here is a picture of the Burlwood horn pad with cruise control:

1393005549.thumb.jpg.f0cac4004839c54f6299cc729d6fc538.jpg

Hi all,

Quick question on the horn pads in the later trucks that came with burlwood interiors (rather than the earlier rosewood):

Our 1985 XL has burlwood dash and radio bezels, but it has a horn pad with cruise that I thought may have come from a Bronco. It looks like it matches the earlier Rosewood.

That said, I've started looking around for what would be the proper 1985 - year cruise control horn pad, and I can't seem to find pics of a burlwood one anyplace.

So my question: Could this horn pad have been original to the truck?

No, that cruise control pad was *not* original to your truck.

According to my 1985 Sales Brochure, an XL model would have had a plain, black horn pad. I guess that means that cruise control wasn't even an option on an XL model.

The XLT Lariat was the only trim package that came with the soft grip steering wheel with Burlwood (1985/1986) woodtone insert. Every one I have seen has cruise control.

Here is a picture of the Burlwood horn pad with cruise control:

I know at least the XL crew cabs had factory cruise control.

I know at least the XL crew cabs had factory cruise control.

I don't know anything about crew cabs, other than there wasn't an XLT Lariat trim package option.

Where were the cruise control buttons located?

The crew cabs used the same cruise control horn pads as the higher optioned trucks. Also in 82/83 the XLS had the cruise control in the horn pad as well.