Bullnose Forums

Question: Cruise Control Horn pads - Burlwood?

Hey Jim! Thanks for the link! Just catching up with this thread, and I'm sorry I missed your call... great info below all, and Jonathan thanks for the offer.

I replied on Perry's thread to see if he's still out there. I have a good burlwood panel that I'd consider sending if I'm pretty sure I can get it back

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that cruise control pad was *not* original to your truck.

According to my 1985 Sales Brochure, an XL model would have had a plain, black horn pad. I guess that means that cruise control wasn't even an option on an XL model.

The XLT Lariat was the only trim package that came with the soft grip steering wheel with Burlwood (1985/1986) woodtone insert. Every one I have seen has cruise control.

Here is a picture of the Burlwood horn pad with cruise control:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n61819/1393005549.jpg

Thanks for the great pic! Interesting... so an XL model normally came with a plain black pad...

I ran the Marti on my truck though and it actually did come from the factory with Cruise. Just for reference will list the equipment - The truck came with:

Digital Clock

Explorer Package C

Chrome Grille

Ammeter / Oil Pressure Gauges

California Emission System (still intact) :)

Sliding Rear Window

P235/75R15XL Black sidewall tires

Tilt Steering Wheel

Bright Western Low Mount swing away mirrors

Speed Control

Air Conditioning

AM FM Cassette Stereo Radio

Visibility Group (interior courtesy lights, cargo light etc)

Dual Electric Horns

XL Package

Reduced Noise Exhaust System

Tinted Glass

Convenience Group

Guessing that it either had a black horn pad with cruise (does that even exist?) or the burlwood like your photo. Hmm

According to my 1985 Sales Brochure, an XL model would have had a plain, black horn pad. I guess that means that cruise control wasn't even an option on an XL model.

The XLT Lariat was the only trim package that came with the soft grip steering wheel with Burlwood (1985/1986) woodtone insert. Every one I have seen has cruise control.

Thanks for the great pic! Interesting... so an XL model normally came with a plain black pad...

I ran the Marti on my truck though and it actually did come from the factory with Cruise. Just for reference will list the equipment - The truck came with:

Digital Clock

Explorer Package C

Chrome Grille

Sliding Rear Window

Tilt Steering Wheel

Speed Control

Air Conditioning

Dual Electric Horns

XL Package

Tinted Glass

Convenience Group

Guessing that it either had a black horn pad with cruise (does that even exist?) or the burlwood like your photo. Hmm

No such thing as a black horn pad with cruise buttons. Trucks with black weave or silver weave bezels still got woodgrain cruise control horn pads from what I’ve seen. Vans did not have the 85/86 blond burlwood, they got oak woodgrain (which I don’t particularly like) or a reddish leather pattern. Gary and I have talked a bit about creating a cruise horn pad that compliments the black weave bezels better than mis-matched woodgrain.

No such thing as a black horn pad with cruise buttons. Trucks with black weave or silver weave bezels still got woodgrain cruise control horn pads from what I’ve seen. Vans did not have the 85/86 blond burlwood, they got oak woodgrain (which I don’t particularly like) or a reddish leather pattern. Gary and I have talked a bit about creating a cruise horn pad that compliments the black weave bezels better than mis-matched woodgrain.

That would make sense - creating a black version. One idea might be to start accumulating cruise horn buttons in any condition, and just re-doing them in black. An all over spray with a good trim black, and then re-doing the highlights in silver. It would be a pretty straightforward way to recycle.

Selfishly focusing on my truck, I'm imagining then that it came equipped with a burlwood cruise pad to match the dash. Still, as an XL optioned up to have cruise, a small part of me wonders if it could have had this horn slapped on it at the factory. I doubt it. Either way it doesn't match so I'll either go to a burlwood horn button or a rosewood dash

I'd be glad to try refinishing some of these in black. Hmmm...

Digital Clock

Explorer Package C

Chrome Grille

Sliding Rear Window

Tilt Steering Wheel

Speed Control

Air Conditioning

Dual Electric Horns

XL Package

Tinted Glass

Convenience Group

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a truck with the optional "Explorer" package.

According to the sales brochure found right here on this site, Explorer package "C" could be added to a regular XL model (or XLT Lariat model) and did indeed come with speed control.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-explorer.html

That would make sense - creating a black version. One idea might be to start accumulating cruise horn buttons in any condition, and just re-doing them in black. An all over spray with a good trim black, and then re-doing the highlights in silver. It would be a pretty straightforward way to recycle.

Selfishly focusing on my truck, I'm imagining then that it came equipped with a burlwood cruise pad to match the dash. Still, as an XL optioned up to have cruise, a small part of me wonders if it could have had this horn slapped on it at the factory. I doubt it. Either way it doesn't match so I'll either go to a burlwood horn button or a rosewood dash

I'd be glad to try refinishing some of these in black. Hmmm...

Ken, that was the reason I bought some of the oak type van pads. Either for repairing rosewood/burlwood horn pads or for cloning XLS or alternate finish to go with weave bezels. Another alternative to a black horn pad would be to color match it to the interior plastic color. Ford cars had color matched steering wheels and column trim, but for whatever reason Ford never did that on trucks. I almost bought a Canyon red steering wheel out of an LTD as a possible enhancement for my crew cab interior, but it was horribly cracked and I’m not sure it would have looked right... but I digress... if you have burlwood bezels I think the best look will be a burlwood horn pad like you said. I will see if I have anything decent.