Bullnose Forums

Question: Cruise Control Horn pads - Burlwood?

Hi all,

Quick question on the horn pads in the later trucks that came with burlwood interiors (rather than the earlier rosewood):

Our 1985 XL has burlwood dash and radio bezels, but it has a horn pad with cruise that I thought may have come from a Bronco. It looks like it matches the earlier Rosewood.

That said, I've started looking around for what would be the proper 1985 - year cruise control horn pad, and I can't seem to find pics of a burlwood one anyplace.

So my question: Could this horn pad have been original to the truck?

Maybe you would like to share your NOS bezel with him in exchange for applying burlwood to the horn pad you already have?

I'm not sure if he's got a match yet.

He doesn't show it on his eBay storefront.

Being able to replicate factory patterns or renew entire faded interiors so the panels all match (even if they're only very close, and not perfect) seems like a good option for those that really want a restored truck.

Not only is it the wrong woodgrain, but it appears to have the van horn pad trumpet icons and smooth Ford emblem in the center. I know I’ve got one or two of the burl wood pads amongst my things, but they are “users” and may or may not meet your needs. I will try to dig them up and take pictures. I was supposed to look for a rosewood one for member Starliner, but it appears he may have found what he needed? But he had a burl Wood one he found in a junkyard... I don’t know if he used parts from it but you might ask if it’s for sale or work out a trade?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Plastic-Steering-Wheel-Plactics-needed-1984-F250-w-cruise-td59402.html

I will try to look at what I have also, and see if anything I might have could help you.

Not only is it the wrong woodgrain, but it appears to have the van horn pad trumpet icons and smooth Ford emblem in the center. I know I’ve got one or two of the burl wood pads amongst my things, but they are “users” and may or may not meet your needs. I will try to dig them up and take pictures. I was supposed to look for a rosewood one for member Starliner, but it appears he may have found what he needed? But he had a burl Wood one he found in a junkyard... I don’t know if he used parts from it but you might ask if it’s for sale or work out a trade?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Plastic-Steering-Wheel-Plactics-needed-1984-F250-w-cruise-td59402.html

I will try to look at what I have also, and see if anything I might have could help you.

Jonathan, why does it seem these van hornpads (or steering wheels) are so often found in pickups?

Any idea why they might have held up better?

Jonathan, why does it seem these van hornpads (or steering wheels) are so often found in pickups?

Any idea why they might have held up better?

Jim, I have a couple hypotheses on this. One is than vans used this horn pad later into the 80’s and at some point all service parts became this type. Even the 82/83 only XLS brushed silver one with the “E2xxx” part number (that was never used in a van) had a service part with van features. My other hypothesis is that pickup trucks lead a much harder life than vans, and when the plastic pieces started to disintegrate and fade they were swapped out with van horn pads. I think pickups generally stayed in service longer, so vans may have been more plentiful in junkyards and had better condition interiors. To this day I like to check vans and RV’s because they tend to have nice horn pads/steering wheels and unaffected HVAC controls (and potentially Saginaw brackets).