Bullnose Forums

Bullnose and Bricknose carpet (and cab) differences Q's

Gentlemen,

Hoping to lean on the experts here for info/advice. I'm planning to order an interior carpet soon, and I just had a chat with the ACC rep and I left with more questions than I had originally. I was planning all along to order a 1988-1991 carpet so that it fit my 5spd tunnel cover properly. The ACC guy looked at the pics, and he seemed to think that the carpets are different in the back (behind the seat area) between the 80-86, and 87-96. Do any of you know what the difference is? I know everything else is pretty much interchangeable as far as the floor is concerned, but I'm fussy enough I want this thing to fit properly, so measure twice, cut once...lol.

Any other concerns? They should be the same on the firewall end ya? Where the seat mounts the same, etc?

Here's a screen shot example, with the tan color being 80-86, and the blue being 87-96.

Carpets.thumb.jpg.ce973f30c517a9b16a65faf749c7eb7b.jpg

I had a similar conversation with ACC a few years ago. Was planning to order the later carpet for the taller tunnel but the rep I spoke with wasn't sure it would work. (At that point I was going with the ZF5 in Dad's truck so had to have the taller cover. But now that the E4OD is in there I don't need the height.)

But I'm very interested in this thread as I'll have the tall cover in Big Blue now. And I think that the later carpet goes farther to the back than the Bullnose carpet. Don't know where I read it, but that's what I remember reading and/or being told.

Having said that, there is a difference in the tunnel - as I discovered on Dad's truck. The later floor pan carries the bumpup back farther than the Bullnose trucks do so it'll clear the t-case behind an E4OD. But I'm not sure that the extra height for maybe 2" would make a lot of difference in the carpet.

I can't really help on the differences (I wouldn't have expected any but the cover) but I will say if you are getting the ACC with mass backing there isn't much forgiveness (not sure about the non mass backing).

If no one chimes in with a solid answer, I'd consider spending a little jy time pulling the carpet out of two and comparing. It's been raining here and will be all weekend or else I'd see if I could run over to the local one.

(also RockAuto had the best price by far when I ordered mine)

I can't really help on the differences (I wouldn't have expected any but the cover) but I will say if you are getting the ACC with mass backing there isn't much forgiveness.

He mentioned that. He said with the mass backing that the carpet has a better, more defined form, but at the same time is much less forgiving. I'm fine with that.

I think the big difference is in the pictures and that the 87-96 carpet is not folded up to fit over the hump behind the seat.

Did you buy the carpet with the mass backing? And if yes, did you install some other sound deadening material under it?

I think the difference is where the seatbelt retractor is located in the bricknose vs Bullnose trucks.

Is yours on the floor or partway up the B-pillar?

It's up on the B-Pillar.

I might run out to the junkyard tomorrow and have a look at the newer trucks...they have a bunch of the 92-96 versions out there, and according to ACC, they take the same floor mat from 1987-1996.

I think the difference is where the seatbelt retractor is located in the bricknose vs Bullnose trucks.

Is yours on the floor or partway up the B-pillar?

It's up on the B-Pillar.

I might run out to the junkyard tomorrow and have a look at the newer trucks...they have a bunch of the 92-96 versions out there, and according to ACC, they take the same floor mat from 1987-1996.

Well then I don't know what to say unless the blue one is for a Bronco/Crew Cab because my truck definitely has the boxed in section back there...

I just welded it up a few weeks ago.

Well then I don't know what to say unless the blue one is for a Bronco/Crew Cab because my truck definitely has the boxed in section back there...

I just welded it up a few weeks ago.

I honestly think it just the looks different in the two images. The cabs are probably the same in that area. I'll check this week and confirm at the junkyard.

I can't really help on the differences (I wouldn't have expected any but the cover) but I will say if you are getting the ACC with mass backing there isn't much forgiveness.

He mentioned that. He said with the mass backing that the carpet has a better, more defined form, but at the same time is much less forgiving. I'm fine with that.

I think the big difference is in the pictures and that the 87-96 carpet is not folded up to fit over the hump behind the seat.

Did you buy the carpet with the mass backing? And if yes, did you install some other sound deadening material under it?

Yes to both and would go with the combo again. I was afraid it might add too much thickness but hasn't been a problem. In one area my exhaust is pretty close to the floorboard and it was definitely warm to the touch with just the sound deadening material but once the mass backed carpet went in, you can't feel a thing. I went with the essex (I think is the name) option also. I haven't seen or felt anything else firsthand but the essex mass backed is nice stuff.

Yes to both and would go with the combo again. I was afraid it might add too much thickness but hasn't been a problem. In one area my exhaust is pretty close to the floorboard and it was definitely warm to the touch with just the sound deadening material but once the mass backed carpet went in, you can't feel a thing. I went with the essex (I think is the name) option also. I haven't seen or felt anything else firsthand but the essex mass backed is nice stuff.

I ran (used) carpet from a 1991 Bricknose in my old 1980 and it fit perfectly. Seat belt holes were in the same spot, as were the bolts for the seat. I honestly didn't notice any issues between the later carpet and the older truck. And my 1990 cab doesn't look any different out back than my 1980 did, at least that I can recall.