Bullnose Forums

Oil filter leaks no matter what filter I run.

When I bought Darth, the filer adapter was loose on the engine and by the time I got him from Gordonsville VA to Suffolk VA where a friend had his shop, my 1987 Horizon was never going to rust the front end.

I would do what Jim said about taking the adapter off. With it off the engine, put it in a vice so you can get at everything. Take a new FL1A filter (I wouldn't use a Fram on a lawnmower) and carefully screw it on until the gasket just touches the adapter face STOP! Now carefully use a feeler gauge to see if the hollow screw is FUBARed. There are a number of filters that look the same but have slight differences. The FL1A uses an American thread, some of the similar ones use a Metric thread that is close but not exact and it will go on partially or loosely and chew up the threads. Once you determine thread condition and verify that the correct filter will seat and seal properly you can reassemble the adapter to the block, square O-ring PN is -87947-S91, if you have the adapter with the grooved seat for the hollow bolt, that O-ring is F0TZ-6749-B, if you have the washer, I don't have that number.

Once you get the adapter back on the engine, install the filter and loosen the adapter bolt just enough so you can turn the adapter. Proper location, the oil filter sits almost against the lower radiator hose when everything is correct.

Great info Bill! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks for the part numbers.

The 1990 (F0TZ) part number explains why my '87 uses the older sealing washer, and also suggests that the OP's truck will as well.

Great info Bill! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks for the part numbers.

The 1990 (F0TZ) part number explains why my '87 uses the older sealing washer, and also suggests that the OP's truck will as well.

Jim, 1990 was when the oil cooler changed from an oil-air cooler to the "grenade" oil-water cooler. Darth had the washer originally, when I scored the cooler adapter at Pick-n-Pull it had the O-ring under the bolt head.

IMGP0805.jpg.ff6514194066dfa931850cd438c4da95.jpg

Jim, 1990 was when the oil cooler changed from an oil-air cooler to the "grenade" oil-water cooler. Darth had the washer originally, when I scored the cooler adapter at Pick-n-Pull it had the O-ring under the bolt head.

Clocked it up hoping the gasket would somehow survive, fixed one leak and made a worse one, so I'll be ordering the new gasket tomorrow.

Clocked it up hoping the gasket would somehow survive, fixed one leak and made a worse one, so I'll be ordering the new gasket tomorrow.

New gasket and a touch of high tack sealant on the washer and its good as new, PH8a filter still leaks but im blaming that on the fact that i re used it.

New gasket and a touch of high tack sealant on the washer and its good as new, PH8a filter still leaks but im blaming that on the fact that i re used it.

I'll blame it on using ' The Orange Can of Death' in the first place! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

All joking aside, I'm glad you've fixed your leak and are able to get the correct size filter on there now. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Hi JunkCollector, Just a thought, do you put a little oil on the seal of the filter before you tighten it. Some times if you don't they will leak.

Hi JunkCollector, Just a thought, do you put a little oil on the seal of the filter before you tighten it. Some times if you don't they will leak.

Always do, I worked in a shop for a few years doing maintenance, and I make sure everything's always done right and torqued to its proper specs.