Bullnose Forums

Transmission?

Due to working at home and being a teacher to my 9th and 4th graders, I have somewhat neglected my project. But my new issue is when I take on short drives I have some/smell coming from behind block and between firewall. When shifting into different gears (drive/reverse automatic) it has “violent jerks”. The smoke smells almost of burnt rubber so it makes me think that transmission may have issues? The truck seems to be shifting ok but sometimes downshift is strange. I have done NOTHING to trans since getting it back running. Appears that there is a lot of grease/buildup on trans. The fluid appears to look good...any suggestions on what to do?

I figure you have an AOD?

I know the tv rod adjustment is critical.

If the fluid is reading correctly, doesn't smell or look burnt it is likely not bad yet.

Abrupt shifting can be due to a few things.

Most common in my experience is stuck valves in the transmission.

But I have to qualify this by saying I am a shade tree mechanic and I don't dive into autos very often.

So wait for better answers.

I figure you have an AOD?

I know the tv rod adjustment is critical.

If the fluid is reading correctly, doesn't smell or look burnt it is likely not bad yet.

Abrupt shifting can be due to a few things.

Most common in my experience is stuck valves in the transmission.

But I have to qualify this by saying I am a shade tree mechanic and I don't dive into autos very often.

So wait for better answers.

Well at least you have a shade tree...my mechanic skills have no shade (background) what so ever. Went and pulled dip stick and looks like trans fluid and no burnt smell. Just not sure where burning rubber smell comes from. Makes me think a seal of some sort is bad.

Well at least you have a shade tree...my mechanic skills have no shade (background) what so ever. Went and pulled dip stick and looks like trans fluid and no burnt smell. Just not sure where burning rubber smell comes from. Makes me think a seal of some sort is bad.

I have no more experience than Jim. In fact, I don't know that I've ever worked on an AOD. But, we don't know for sure that's what you have, although I'd bet Jim's guess is correct.

As he said, the TV rod adjustment is critical for those transmissions. There's a discussion on how to adjust them in the factory service manual section here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/automatic-overdrive-aod.html. You might see if it is set correctly.

But the burning rubber smell is worrying. Any chance something has fallen onto the exhaust system?

I have no more experience than Jim. In fact, I don't know that I've ever worked on an AOD. But, we don't know for sure that's what you have, although I'd bet Jim's guess is correct.

As he said, the TV rod adjustment is critical for those transmissions. There's a discussion on how to adjust them in the factory service manual section here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/automatic-overdrive-aod.html. You might see if it is set correctly.

But the burning rubber smell is worrying. Any chance something has fallen onto the exhaust system?

If it happens to be a C-6 transmission, check that the vacuum line to the transmission hasn't come loose and hit the exhaust. That might explain both burning rubber smell and strange shifting. Of course, I don't have much "shade" either.

If it happens to be a C-6 transmission, check that the vacuum line to the transmission hasn't come loose and hit the exhaust. That might explain both burning rubber smell and strange shifting. Of course, I don't have much "shade" either.

That would certainly explain the burning rubber smell. And the shifting would be poor as well. :nabble_smiley_good:

Transmission is C-4...but thanks for suggestion

Transmission is C-4...but thanks for suggestion

C4 also has a vacuum line as the C6 does. The vacuum line runs much the same way, down the transmission and through a clip on the upper right extension housing bolt. Below that is a short elbow in a rubber hose. Since the exhaust passes right by there it can get very hot.