Bullnose Forums

SEM Paint Results....

Has anyone ever used the tan SEM paint? i have had some quite disappointing results to say the least. i ordered 3040 desert tan for my 85 bronco and well.... i wouldn't describe this colour as 'tan' id say more of a salmon lol.

Is this the colour of the SEM paint or is there an issue with my mix here...

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Matt20200516_012306.jpg.2759a17b1cb764315cd24a0e0c9cf0ec.jpg

Wouldn't a 1985 Bronco have 'sand beige' interior?

The universal color value for that is 2-1148 according to PPG.

I always thought of saddle, or buckskin, but I'm not expert at interior colors.

I do know that SEM has a wide variety of standard colors, and their outlets will mix to formula match most manufacturers interiors.

"Desert tan" sounds like military camo, and that IS pretty pink.

Wouldn't a 1985 Bronco have 'sand beige' interior?

The universal color value for that is 2-1148 according to PPG.

I always thought of saddle, or buckskin, but I'm not expert at interior colors.

I do know that SEM has a wide variety of standard colors, and their outlets will mix to formula match most manufacturers interiors.

"Desert tan" sounds like military camo, and that IS pretty pink.

Yep Sem will mix custom colors but you have to get them a mix for the color. Its what im trying to figure out for my '56 Fairlane cause I need to paint the reproduction vinyl dash pad but I cant find what medium blue is correct.

Something new like our trucks though there should still be a mix chart for interior colors.

Yep I used SEM on my black reproduction door panels for my '82 F150.

I got their Midnight blue and the arm rest along with my sunvisors were precolored in midnight Blue.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n60965/20161105_135535.jpg

What is the code for the SEM Midnight Blue that you used? That looks pretty good. Does it look like a factory color to you in person? Is it one of their pre-mixed colors, or a custom?

I just did a bunch of research on interior colors this week, as I'm not happy with what I have seen (and done) so far. My interior door panels were painted with a Dupli-color fabric/interior paint before I bought the truck, and it was way to pale and dull. I recently RE-painted them with the Color-Bond blue from LMC, and while it applied nicely, I don't like the shade of it...it's too dark, and the shade is way off for my 1984 blue.

I did a bit of a deep dive the week researching SEM availability here in Canada, and it turns out there are no retailers mixing the Color-Coat product in the whole country. It has to do with the new national VOC regulations, but they are not allowed to import the bulk product any longer. Canada has outlawed these products. What SEM is offering here is the Sure-Coat product, which is supposedly the same thing but in a water-based forumla. They don't mix it in regular rattle can aerosols, I would have to buy it buy the quart or gallon, and then spray it with my own gun or buy a Preval kit. It was all sounding very promising, until I found out that the 3042 Dark Harbor Blue was one of the few colors SEM was not able to create a formula for when converting from Color-Coat to Sure-Coat. Oh well.

My point in all that is that I am now looking for some SEM color recommendations. I can order the pre-mixed color aerosols here, and worst case scenario I'll see if I can get Vinyl-Pro or one of them in the US to mix up some Dark Harbor Blue for me.

Yep I used SEM on my black reproduction door panels for my '82 F150.

I got their Midnight blue and the arm rest along with my sunvisors were precolored in midnight Blue.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n60965/20161105_135535.jpg

What is the code for the SEM Midnight Blue that you used? That looks pretty good. Does it look like a factory color to you in person? Is it one of their pre-mixed colors, or a custom?

I just did a bunch of research on interior colors this week, as I'm not happy with what I have seen (and done) so far. My interior door panels were painted with a Dupli-color fabric/interior paint before I bought the truck, and it was way to pale and dull. I recently RE-painted them with the Color-Bond blue from LMC, and while it applied nicely, I don't like the shade of it...it's too dark, and the shade is way off for my 1984 blue.

I did a bit of a deep dive the week researching SEM availability here in Canada, and it turns out there are no retailers mixing the Color-Coat product in the whole country. It has to do with the new national VOC regulations, but they are not allowed to import the bulk product any longer. Canada has outlawed these products. What SEM is offering here is the Sure-Coat product, which is supposedly the same thing but in a water-based forumla. They don't mix it in regular rattle can aerosols, I would have to buy it buy the quart or gallon, and then spray it with my own gun or buy a Preval kit. It was all sounding very promising, until I found out that the 3042 Dark Harbor Blue was one of the few colors SEM was not able to create a formula for when converting from Color-Coat to Sure-Coat. Oh well.

My point in all that is that I am now looking for some SEM color recommendations. I can order the pre-mixed color aerosols here, and worst case scenario I'll see if I can get Vinyl-Pro or one of them in the US to mix up some Dark Harbor Blue for me.

SEM code for midnight blue is 15433 in color coat and 17013 in classic coat.

There's also this page here in Gary's bible.

Midnight blue looks way too dark on SEM's page, but what do I know?

Edit: SEM's chart shows FORD midnight blue as 3030.

Maybe that is a much closer match?

Matt - That IS disappointing! I would contact SEM directly. The gentleman I spoke with, Dave Anderson, was very helpful. I've forwarded the email conversation we had to you so you'll have his contact info.

Please keep us apprised as to what you find out.

Matt - That IS disappointing! I would contact SEM directly. The gentleman I spoke with, Dave Anderson, was very helpful. I've forwarded the email conversation we had to you so you'll have his contact info.

Please keep us apprised as to what you find out.

Thanks Gary, Email received! I will try contacting them when they open (I assume 9AM) as it just says line busy at the moment however they may have an auto decline for international numbers but i will have to wait and see.

Will update as soon as i have some info

Thanks Gary, Email received! I will try contacting them when they open (I assume 9AM) as it just says line busy at the moment however they may have an auto decline for international numbers but i will have to wait and see.

Will update as soon as i have some info

If I'm not mistaken, this is Saturday. And I would expect the office staff to be home today. :nabble_smiley_wink: