Bullnose Forum

My 81 flareside is going electric!

Oh

I didn't realize your early truck doesn't have a fan clutch.

I swapped in a 351w that came from a motorhome, so there's quite a bit of non-stock going on under my hood. I didn't realize it should have a fan clutch, the I6 I pulled out of there also had the aluminum spacer and a fixed fan, so I assumed the V8's would as well. Still learning a lot about this truck.

Oh

I didn't realize your early truck doesn't have a fan clutch.

I swapped in a 351w that came from a motorhome, so there's quite a bit of non-stock going on under my hood. I didn't realize it should have a fan clutch, the I6 I pulled out of there also had the aluminum spacer and a fixed fan, so I assumed the V8's would as well. Still learning a lot about this truck.

What are you running for an alternator? I am pretty sure that those fans will a stock 40 amp alternator for a mid day snack on a hot day while stuck in traffic. Just a thought.

What are you running for an alternator? I am pretty sure that those fans will a stock 40 amp alternator for a mid day snack on a hot day while stuck in traffic. Just a thought.

And the 130A 3G conversion rears its beautiful head!

My DB Electrical, Cheap, Chinese alternator is doing yeoman's duty going on six years.

Fans are the reason Ford ditched the the miserable 2G alternators.

That's a pretty good thought... I don't know what the alternator on there is rated at. I assumed around 60 or 70 amps, but if it's 40, yeah time for an upgrade.

That's a pretty good thought... I don't know what the alternator on there is rated at. I assumed around 60 or 70 amps, but if it's 40, yeah time for an upgrade.

As shown on our page on alternators (Documentation/Electrical/Alternators) the 40 amp 1G was standard through 1985 and the 60 amp was optional. And the 70 amp was not used.

So you might have a 40 or a 60. But, those only put out that current at full tilt, which is 5100 RPM for the 40 amp and 7000 for the 60 amp. That's alternator RPM, but most of the pulley ratios are 2.68:1 so that's 1900 and 2600 engine RPM respectively. But the 3G puts out that much current at idle.

As shown on our page on alternators (Documentation/Electrical/Alternators) the 40 amp 1G was standard through 1985 and the 60 amp was optional. And the 70 amp was not used.

So you might have a 40 or a 60. But, those only put out that current at full tilt, which is 5100 RPM for the 40 amp and 7000 for the 60 amp. That's alternator RPM, but most of the pulley ratios are 2.68:1 so that's 1900 and 2600 engine RPM respectively. But the 3G puts out that much current at idle.

Turns out I have the 60 amp. I think the fans draw less than 20. I'll worry about charging problems when I start the road trails, hopefully in about 2 weeks. I do have a voltmeter, so I can keep an eye on things.

Got everything buttoned up yesterday. Since the core of the radiator is "recessed" from the tank, I had to fill in the holes this left, so the air would actually be drawn through the core, and not just sucked through the gaps. A piece of 1/6" aluminum that was 1.5 inches wide was just right for the bottom, with some clearance cut for the mounting lugs.

IMG_2683.jpg.c970349196c5c0268f6e435e4d3d40f2.jpg

Up top, a 1.25 inch strip was the right width. I also painted the radiator clamp down brackets, and added a tang at the top which retains the top of the fan shroud.

IMG_2685.jpg.3f43913b54e9bfa70bd1a2074524272a.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg.3beae0f11a10cc612cddb8bdcbd19fb9.jpg

Here is the controller kit that is turning the fans on. I have a relay wired in also.

IMG_2687.jpg.82350fd9df4bdee4bcc09fbd131cd715.jpg

And the view from the top looking down.

IMG_2688.jpg.154b8cad0f94742e356a07a15a7cd3d2.jpg

It clears the water pump pulley with a little bit of room to spare on my truck. On a "normal" truck with a V8, the engine would be set back another 2 inches or so, so there would be plenty of room for this arrangement. Why my truck is not normal, that's a story for another day.

Got everything buttoned up yesterday. Since the core of the radiator is "recessed" from the tank, I had to fill in the holes this left, so the air would actually be drawn through the core, and not just sucked through the gaps. A piece of 1/6" aluminum that was 1.5 inches wide was just right for the bottom, with some clearance cut for the mounting lugs.

Up top, a 1.25 inch strip was the right width. I also painted the radiator clamp down brackets, and added a tang at the top which retains the top of the fan shroud.

Here is the controller kit that is turning the fans on. I have a relay wired in also.

And the view from the top looking down.

It clears the water pump pulley with a little bit of room to spare on my truck. On a "normal" truck with a V8, the engine would be set back another 2 inches or so, so there would be plenty of room for this arrangement. Why my truck is not normal, that's a story for another day.

Looking good! Nice fabrication. :nabble_anim_claps:

So, yours is Abby Normal? Did someone use the wrong perches, like from a 300 six?

Looking good! Nice fabrication. :nabble_anim_claps:

So, yours is Abby Normal? Did someone use the wrong perches, like from a 300 six?

First we have lines from Monte Python and now we have them from Young Dr Frankinstine……..You guys are a hoot:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig::nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig::nabble_smiley_whistling: