Bullnose Forums

My 81 flareside is going electric!

Made you look. No, not the drivetrain, just the engine cooling system. I am a big fan of electric fans over engine-driven, so I started looking around for a fan/shroud package that was sized about right for our radiators and wasn't horribly expensive. I found what I was looking for in the Infiniti FX35 fan package, which was available for under $100 delivered. I got it from CarParts.com, item# I160901.

These fans required 2 Nissan-specific connectors, which I sourced from CTLumination, item# WEC-AC-4PIN-0010-0015. This was under $15 delivered.

And in order to activate the fans and have some control over the temperature at which they come on, I ordered this fan control thermostat kit, under $20 delivered. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDM-PCE184-1005

Then there was the matter of the radiator in my truck. It had 2 things wrong with it. First, I swapped a 351W in place of the I6 that was in there, so it had the wrong radiator. Second, one of the radiator clamp down brackets was missing. So I ordered a Spectra CU561 radiator from ebay (about $210 delivered).

With the radiator problem on its way to being solved, I turned my attention to the missing clamp down bracket. I tried to find one for a few weeks but did not have any luck, so I decided to spend a few hours and just make my own. Here is how those turned out.

IMG_2676.jpg.160d9cc5fc96139cf0d377585334f76f.jpg

Next, the fan shroud had to be mated to the radiator. The shroud was just a hair large for the radiator, and needed trimming in 3 places - around the 2 radiator hoses, and around the drain petcock. I probably could have gotten away without the clearance around the petcock, but I figured, why make it tight as long as I was cutting anyway. The clearance around the hoses was done with a hole saw. Here's what was removed.

IMG_2677.jpg.3c536205b32a4f72a5545e30eac5eb7f.jpg

There was also a small hole drilled in the upper right for the temp probe for the fan controller.

With the shroud now able to fit the radiator, I had to figure out how to mount it. On the bottom of the shroud, there are 2 lugs that locate that end, so I made a couple brackets out of some aluminum angle and rectangle tube. The brackets bolted to the flange at the bottom of the radiator. Here are those.

IMG_2679.jpg.80b84a690de81ce6f35b3c84685116bd.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg.594b1a3499701ad72dc7547c2db8a20e.jpg

And here's how the whole thing fits together.

IMG_2681.jpg.30a602801a13bc5231c9847b74d25c24.jpg

Still left to do is to modify the shroud to fill in the gap between the radiator core and the top and bottom edges of the shroud, and to modify the brackets I built do have an extension which ties the bracket to the bolt holes at the top of the shroud. And paint, install, test, etc. I'll post more when those things occur. I'm anxious to see how that 1" core (!) deals with the Texas heat.

Pete - You certainly did make me look! But, I like what I see. Looks like a very complete package, and I can't wait to see how it works

On your pic of the shroud, it was small enough that I had trouble seeing where you'd cut it. So I've blown it up to 100% by placing this text in the string: width="100%". And now I can see the cutouts. :nabble_smiley_wink:

IMG_2677.jpg.2324ad7cc6d0ace97da084d5431ca57a.jpg

Nice, are they going to be both on full tilt or will they come on in stages and ramp up the more air flow you need?

I myself have been throwing around the idea of a possible electric condenser fan but im waiting to see what the 7 blade fan I got will do over the oe 5 blade which shouldn't even be used on AC equipped trucks.

How deep is that fan?

And what are you going to do to hold the pulley on the water pump?

The fan measures right at 4 inches depth when sitting on a flat surface, but it sits off the radiator just slightly less than that because of where it sits on the radiator. Call it 3 7/8" off the radiator.

For the WP pulley, I just ditched the long bolts that go with the aluminum spacer thing, and installed some short bolts, maybe 1/2" long or so.

Nice, are they going to be both on full tilt or will they come on in stages and ramp up the more air flow you need?

The way they are wired now, yes they just come on full. The fans will support 2 speeds but I have both speeds wired to the same controller so they just come on "high". I toyed with the idea of getting a second variable fan controller ($11) and setting that controller some degrees cooler so they would come on in stages, but I was not sure that was necessary. I can always go back and add that easily enough, if I determine I need it.

How deep is that fan?

And what are you going to do to hold the pulley on the water pump?

The fan measures right at 4 inches depth when sitting on a flat surface, but it sits off the radiator just slightly less than that because of where it sits on the radiator. Call it 3 7/8" off the radiator.

For the WP pulley, I just ditched the long bolts that go with the aluminum spacer thing, and installed some short bolts, maybe 1/2" long or so.

Oh

I didn't realize your early truck doesn't have a fan clutch.