Bullnose Forums

snake oil/additives...

Yes, that restore stuff.

I am still skeptical that it works, but the numbers don't lie...

I'm following this, but I'm skeptical as well. However, the numbers don't lie although it is usually best to measure several tanks in a row to get good results.

What kind of driving are you doing? I ask because 11.5 MPG is still not all that good for a 351W/C6 combo if it is on the highway. But if around town that's not too bad. On the other hand, 8 MPG certainly IS bad.

I'm following this, but I'm skeptical as well. However, the numbers don't lie although it is usually best to measure several tanks in a row to get good results.

What kind of driving are you doing? I ask because 11.5 MPG is still not all that good for a 351W/C6 combo if it is on the highway. But if around town that's not too bad. On the other hand, 8 MPG certainly IS bad.

Oh, this is not highway, 55mph gives me about 3k rpm..:nabble_smiley_cry:

This pootleing Around my small town. I am at 50 miles on this tank, will prob top off the tank early next week and report back.l

Oh, this is not highway, 55mph gives me about 3k rpm..:nabble_smiley_cry:

This pootleing Around my small town. I am at 50 miles on this tank, will prob top off the tank early next week and report back.l

I have 4.10's and 3k is exactly 80 mph. (GPS)

So you're beginning to see just how much fuel is wasted heating up your C6 transmission fluid.

Though smaller tires (mine are 31.5") has something to do with it, that's a very inefficient slushbox.

I have 4.10's and 3k is exactly 80 mph. (GPS)

So you're beginning to see just how much fuel is wasted heating up your C6 transmission fluid.

Though smaller tires (mine are 31.5") has something to do with it, that's a very inefficient slushbox.

I am running 31" tires. Not sure what gearing this thing has, but when I get the transmission/axles/diffs rebuilt I need the ratios sorted out. I would love to drive the Bronco further, but it needs better gearing!

I am running 31" tires. Not sure what gearing this thing has, but when I get the transmission/axles/diffs rebuilt I need the ratios sorted out. I would love to drive the Bronco further, but it needs better gearing!

Maybe you're better off with an OD transmission, rather than regearing both differentials?

Wow! I think you have 4.56 gearing!

I used our calculator (Documentation/Driveline/Calculator) and plugged in 31" tires, 55 MPH, and 4.56 gearing and see that with 250 RPM of slippage the engine should be turning 2968 RPM with a C6. That's insane!

When you get the gearing sorted you need to think about what usage you want for Espy. If you are going to tow, or offroad, or cruise. The vast majority of these trucks seem to have come with 3.50 gearing, but for me that is a bit too low for cruising as it still has you turning 2700 RPM at 65 MPH. And the MPG won't be all that good.

I think I'd be looking at 3.23 gearing if all I was going to do was cruise. And even then you'll still be turning 2500 R's. But you'll still have some zip and could tow a light trailer if you wanted to.

Maybe you're better off with an OD transmission, rather than regearing both differentials?

Yes! If you aren't towing an AOD might be an option. And with 4.56 gears you'll be turning 2152 RPM at 65 MPH. I've often thought that an AOD/4.11 or 4.56 combo would be a good one - except for towing.

Wow! I think you have 4.56 gearing!

I used our calculator (Documentation/Driveline/Calculator) and plugged in 31" tires, 55 MPH, and 4.56 gearing and see that with 250 RPM of slippage the engine should be turning 2968 RPM with a C6. That's insane!

When you get the gearing sorted you need to think about what usage you want for Espy. If you are going to tow, or offroad, or cruise. The vast majority of these trucks seem to have come with 3.50 gearing, but for me that is a bit too low for cruising as it still has you turning 2700 RPM at 65 MPH. And the MPG won't be all that good.

I think I'd be looking at 3.23 gearing if all I was going to do was cruise. And even then you'll still be turning 2500 R's. But you'll still have some zip and could tow a light trailer if you wanted to.

Given he has an automatic now, I'd think locking overdrive like an E4OD or 4R100 is a better choice

AOD's are touchy and not too tough.

Given he has an automatic now, I'd think locking overdrive like an E4OD or 4R100 is a better choice

AOD's are touchy and not too tough.

Yes, the later transmissions are better, but they require a controller. The AOD doesn't. And, while a stock AOD is said to be less than robust, I've read that they can be built to be very stout. This article from Hot Rod says they can be built to handle 1200 HP.

Monster Transmission sells these:

• Quick Ship: $2199, but it doesn't say how much HP it'll handle

• HD: $1599 for a 4wd version capable of handling 450 HP. Or $1799 for a package to replace a C6.

• Super Duty: $1999 for a 4wd version and handling up to 600 HP