Bullnose Forums

snake oil/additives...

Generally I steer clear of everything except the occasional seafoam or Techron in the fuel tank.

But I was intrigued by "Restore"

https://www.restoreusa.com

Now, the reason why I was intrigued was because of a guy I watch on youtube "Project Farm". This guy is not sponsored, he is a Veteran and he just likes testing things in a pretty scientific approach.

This is the original post he did 2 years ago:

And this was the 1 year later follow up:

What are your thoughts? snake oil or not?

I typically shy away from additives, aka snake oil. But I do use certain additives for specific problems, like Seafoam for transmissions that have gummed up. Or seal sweller for transmissions that leak and you just don't have time to change the fluid.

But it is hard to deny that guy's experience. I've watched several of his videos and he is usually pretty scientific in his approach. So I believe it happened. However, you have to think about what the problems might have been for an additive to work. I'm guessing that the rings were stuck and the additive somehow broke them loose.

In other words, it happened to work for that engine, but I seriously doubt it would for one that was completely worn out or had broken rings. So, I think I can say that the right additives can work for certain specific situations.

depends on the product.

I use the Stabil360 that helps combat ethanol fuel problems as well as cleaning your system. Will probably still use it with my EFI conversion just have to read up make sure its O2 sensor safe.

The purple ice stuff, Ive used that before with good success it sounds like hokey magic but its actually a proven product that helps remove surface tension of water so it will make better contact with your cylinder walls as well as your radiator to help with heat transfer in a more efficient manner. Will be using it on my truck as well.

The other thing I use is Redline`s Lead Additive for my old '56 just cause the engine never has been apart. Only one out there without bad reviews of hung valves.

There are some other products out there like blue devil that work and weve used them at work before as a patch job for a customer that didn't want to spend the money.

But some of that stuff out there is hokey and doesn't really do anything. Like the additive to your fuel tank to change the smell of your exhaust which I bet only works if you have a raw smelling exhaust.

depends on the product.

I use the Stabil360 that helps combat ethanol fuel problems as well as cleaning your system. Will probably still use it with my EFI conversion just have to read up make sure its O2 sensor safe.

The purple ice stuff, Ive used that before with good success it sounds like hokey magic but its actually a proven product that helps remove surface tension of water so it will make better contact with your cylinder walls as well as your radiator to help with heat transfer in a more efficient manner. Will be using it on my truck as well.

The other thing I use is Redline`s Lead Additive for my old '56 just cause the engine never has been apart. Only one out there without bad reviews of hung valves.

There are some other products out there like blue devil that work and weve used them at work before as a patch job for a customer that didn't want to spend the money.

But some of that stuff out there is hokey and doesn't really do anything. Like the additive to your fuel tank to change the smell of your exhaust which I bet only works if you have a raw smelling exhaust.

I have used the bubblegum additive in the fuel in my pure stock and mini stock and it does smell like bubble gum.

I also saw Restore used in a Ditch Witch trencher with a 4 cyl Dutez diesel in it. I am gonna say the it did run pretty good after it fired up on starting fluid. It did get some power back but it only lasted a couple of weeks trenching 10 hours a day. Then the miss came back and the puffing grey smoke.

I've generally steered away from additives as well, but I'm not totally against trying them. I've tried several different diesel fuel additives and cetane boosters over the years, and while they probably did help with the water in the fuel and things like that, I never did see any changes in MPG or power, etc.

I've used the Zinc additives in the oil of a VW diesel I had. It was one of the dreaded camshaft eating 2006 models, and I figured every little bit would help. Did it help in the end? I have no idea...but it there was at least some psychological benefit, and that's worth something...lol.

I have used the bubblegum additive in the fuel in my pure stock and mini stock and it does smell like bubble gum.

I also saw Restore used in a Ditch Witch trencher with a 4 cyl Dutez diesel in it. I am gonna say the it did run pretty good after it fired up on starting fluid. It did get some power back but it only lasted a couple of weeks trenching 10 hours a day. Then the miss came back and the puffing grey smoke.

I think the thing that makes exhaust smell best is VP or Sunoco (nee Cam2) 110 leaded!

Man, there's nothing like ridiculous compression.

Some snake oils have their place.

Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil will get lifters moving and loosen sludge.

But so will a quart of ATF in the crankcase before an oil change.

I think the thing that makes exhaust smell best is VP or Sunoco (nee Cam2) 110 leaded!

Good points being made here!

I can say after 1 week of restore being in Espy (Bronco) I can feel a difference in power absolutely. Also, the start up smoking is greatly reduced.

I need to make a list of these products.

Good points being made here!

I can say after 1 week of restore being in Espy (Bronco) I can feel a difference in power absolutely. Also, the start up smoking is greatly reduced.

I need to make a list of these products.

You need to tell us what the problems were and how it has changed. Would be good to know.

You need to tell us what the problems were and how it has changed. Would be good to know.

Just an old tired engine. Lightly smokes when cold. Oil fouled plugs when I changed them a month or so ago. Uses a bit of oil but runs great when warm. Nothing major or surprising.

I saw the video and thought I would give it ago as I needed to top off the oil anyway.

It is not a miracle cure, but should make the next few months easier until I can get to build an engine this winter!

Both cars run on 110 Sunoco and the pure stock is 10:1 and the mini stock runs 13:1 and a 588 lift cam with a 128 duration made by Iski