Bullnose Forums

Saginaw for a serpentine IDI: brainstorming

Ford F834

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think the problem without a brace would show up at the mounting holes for the pump itself, but it's hard to say what would happen. In your case Gary, I would think that a second reservoir return would be cleaner and simpler than a remote reservoir (which would still need a second return added to it?). In my case it ~may save me from having to hack the bracket, but I'm looking at the nipple at the top of the can and wondering if I would have to cut the bracket anyway to run the hose to it... there might be room if I welded in a 90*? The other reason some might want a remote reservoir is additional capacity and cooling, but I just don't think that's necessary. I pulled hydroboosts from 1989, 1993, and 1996 F450 F-Supetduty trucks and they were all engineered with a regular C2 pump and only the "loop" down by the crossmember for cooling. I think adding a filter and a finned cooler because for off road type driving should be plenty.

Well, I pulled the C2 pump out of the IDI serpentine bracket and I have to say that the prospect of getting a Saginaw in there is not looking too good...

The bracket feels thin and fragile to me. I don't think it is robust enough to cut a lot of the walls away, and by eyeballing a Saginaw next to it I'd say most of the walls would have to go. Even if I used a remote reservoir one, the flat spot on the bracket would have to be removed...

IMG_6913.jpg.7e65566ef582006379617bc8c03da4cf.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg.e5328951e1a14676ef0d967fd6d0a15e.jpg

IMG_6917.jpg.7d779f368e8aceafabd961fe5e5afe9a.jpg

The space is so darn tight I just don't know if I can fit the Saginaw with the crimped lip reservoir canister without compromising the strength of the bracket. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, but like I said, it's not looking good. I may end up back converting to V belts.

Well, I pulled the C2 pump out of the IDI serpentine bracket and I have to say that the prospect of getting a Saginaw in there is not looking too good...

The bracket feels thin and fragile to me. I don't think it is robust enough to cut a lot of the walls away, and by eyeballing a Saginaw next to it I'd say most of the walls would have to go. Even if I used a remote reservoir one, the flat spot on the bracket would have to be removed...

The space is so darn tight I just don't know if I can fit the Saginaw with the crimped lip reservoir canister without compromising the strength of the bracket. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, but like I said, it's not looking good. I may end up back converting to V belts.

Most of the pics in the first post of this thread show the bottle necked reservoir instead of the canned ham style.

I've never compared the two but perhaps that is the answer.

Most of the pics in the first post of this thread show the bottle necked reservoir instead of the canned ham style.

I've never compared the two but perhaps that is the answer.

Jonathan - It does look like a lot of the bracket would have to be cut away, and that would weaken it. In your pics do you have it about where you think it needs to go to get the pulley lined up?

Maybe Jim is right that the other reservoir would work. Or maybe the remote reservoir?

Jonathan - It does look like a lot of the bracket would have to be cut away, and that would weaken it. In your pics do you have it about where you think it needs to go to get the pulley lined up?

Maybe Jim is right that the other reservoir would work. Or maybe the remote reservoir?

I don't think the necked reservoir would make all that much difference, or even the remote reservoir. They all have the same diameter cast iron pump center. That circle plus the crimped reservoir edge does not look like it will fit, especially regarding the flat spot on the bracket. I'm not even sure the ultra rare Cardone would be able to bolt in there. I was holding the pump approximately where it needs to mount. As you can see there would not be much bracket left and it feels quite thin. It's not over until it's over, but it's not looking good. There are other types of remote reservoir Saginaw pumps but they are for cars, and I don't think that's what I want for a F350 with hydroboost.

I don't think the necked reservoir would make all that much difference, or even the remote reservoir. They all have the same diameter cast iron pump center. That circle plus the crimped reservoir edge does not look like it will fit, especially regarding the flat spot on the bracket. I'm not even sure the ultra rare Cardone would be able to bolt in there. I was holding the pump approximately where it needs to mount. As you can see there would not be much bracket left and it feels quite thin. It's not over until it's over, but it's not looking good. There are other types of remote reservoir Saginaw pumps but they are for cars, and I don't think that's what I want for a F350 with hydroboost.

I've read that there were many different Saginaw pump capacities as well as pressure settings, so I agree that I wouldn't want to use one from a car on an F350.

But v-belts aren't bad. I'm planning to run them on Dad's truck since there's no serpentine setup from Ford for the M-block. However, since I have two sets of serpentine 460 pulleys, why can't I put them on an M-block and convert that way?

I've read that there were many different Saginaw pump capacities as well as pressure settings, so I agree that I wouldn't want to use one from a car on an F350.

But v-belts aren't bad. I'm planning to run them on Dad's truck since there's no serpentine setup from Ford for the M-block. However, since I have two sets of serpentine 460 pulleys, why can't I put them on an M-block and convert that way?

You know, someone suggest that on FTE, and was told "I don't want to drill holes in the expensive aluminum heads". What changed your mind? :nabble_anim_drunk:

One item, Hydroboost on cars, I have owned 3, a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, a 1980 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham, and a 1981 Buick LeSabre. All had the 5.7L Diesel and GM decided the Hydroboost was a better solution than a vacuum pump. They did have vacuum pumps for cruise control and HVAC operation.

On Saginaw pumps, the pressure is actually determined by the flow control valve which incorporates the relief valve also. From what I remember on the Oldsmobile, the basic pump was the same, just had two return fittings and a different flow control valve.