Bullnose Forums

Saginaw for a serpentine IDI: brainstorming

Ford F834

You are absolutely right, the large motor homes have these types of remote reservoir pumps. I have found 5 of them now, and they have the larger diameter remote reservoir hose like the 6.2 diesel. However, all 5 have so far been hydroboost with two return ports in configurations similar to mine, and all have the remote reservoir barb on the edge of the can rather than the back. I continue to check as they come into the yards though, as they each seem slightly different and I might just get lucky and find the “perfect” reservoir.

Well... the mystery pump with the single reservoir barb out the back has been solved... Trent dig up a different thread which identified the application as a 1982-1984 Renault Fuego 😬. Yeah. Not something I would have stumbled across by trial and error. The A1 Cardone part number is 20-7989.

E8EA50C0-0667-4D66-9E8C-B2BB73E19127.jpeg.d793d70c05d8c92474bfdf6508ce5604.jpeg

Summit and eBay still have units available with the reservoir. They are slightly on the expensive side after shipping and a core charge at Summit, but at least they can be had.

My concern is that the hydro boost applications came with the larger diameter reservoir barb and hose, and had two returns. This suggests that forcing all of the return and reservoir flow through the one smaller port might cause problems? What say you all? Perhaps order it and try to fit a larger reservoir barb to it?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... the mystery pump with the single reservoir barb out the back has been solved... Trent dig up a different thread which identified the application as a 1982-1984 Renault Fuego 😬. Yeah. Not something I would have stumbled across by trial and error. The A1 Cardone part number is 20-7989.

Summit and eBay still have units available with the reservoir. They are slightly on the expensive side after shipping and a core charge at Summit, but at least they can be had.

My concern is that the hydro boost applications came with the larger diameter reservoir barb and hose, and had two returns. This suggests that forcing all of the return and reservoir flow through the one smaller port might cause problems? What say you all? Perhaps order it and try to fit a larger reservoir barb to it?

I am afraid that a single small barb might not be enough for the return. Having said that, I have the C2 pump from the 1995 F450 setting on my work table, and I could measure the ID of the two barbs on it to find out how much area they provide. Forgetting boundary flow, which makes a small diameter hole flow less that it would appear it should, we could at least get a number that might indicate the area needed to make it work reliably.

I'm not going to be in the shop today, but hopefully will be tomorrow and will let you know what I find.

I am afraid that a single small barb might not be enough for the return. Having said that, I have the C2 pump from the 1995 F450 setting on my work table, and I could measure the ID of the two barbs on it to find out how much area they provide. Forgetting boundary flow, which makes a small diameter hole flow less that it would appear it should, we could at least get a number that might indicate the area needed to make it work reliably.

I'm not going to be in the shop today, but hopefully will be tomorrow and will let you know what I find.

The returns are one thing. My ‘81 is getting by with just the one T’d port. However the remote reservoir connection is what I’m wondering about. The 6.2 diesels and motor homes with hydroboost have the bigger hose connecting the two. I read that one guy had problems with the pump making noise because the remote reservoir was too small. I’m guessing that may be why they have a bigger hose.

• 11 months later...

The returns are one thing. My ‘81 is getting by with just the one T’d port. However the remote reservoir connection is what I’m wondering about. The 6.2 diesels and motor homes with hydroboost have the bigger hose connecting the two. I read that one guy had problems with the pump making noise because the remote reservoir was too small. I’m guessing that may be why they have a bigger hose.

Removed as incorrect.