Bullnose Forums

Saginaw for a serpentine IDI: brainstorming

Ford F834

Thanks. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to check the face thickeness where the pump mounts between the gussets or bosses if it has any, and the thickness of the curved support wall. I can check the same spots on mine to see if it is in fact thinner.

Maybe Gary, once I know the actual thickness you could ask the welding expert and see what he thinks as far as strength?

It will be Tuesday before I can look, I have a couple of appointments in Virginia Beach tomorrow.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the back side of the Saginaw mount, it is 0.180" thick between the ribs as close as I can tell, bosses are 0.475" thick and holes are 0.385" ID.

Keep in mind there is a brace from the back of the pump to the exhaust manifold bolt for stiffening. Apparently the C2 pump bracket is thicker or sits differently. This is a 460 EFI mount.

Thank you very much for those measurements. I still have not had the chance to gauge mine, but I probably will work on this some over the weekend. Since the 460 application had a rear steel brace, I should probably try to devise something similar. That side of the engine is pretty crowded because of the big oil cooler tube, so that will have to wait until the engine is assembled.

Thank you very much for those measurements. I still have not had the chance to gauge mine, but I probably will work on this some over the weekend. Since the 460 application had a rear steel brace, I should probably try to devise something similar. That side of the engine is pretty crowded because of the big oil cooler tube, so that will have to wait until the engine is assembled.

09FB5300-9EC3-4F3B-8A35-13375C09D8BF.jpeg.418cc1fe3c775a78cae4d72e7c8310da.jpeg

Finally got a chance to compare my bracket. Between the ribs I measure 0.160” thickness. Same for the walls around the mounting face. At the bosses it is 0.350” thick. I don’t know what that means for welding, I just know it feels very thin 😬

Finally got a chance to compare my bracket. Between the ribs I measure 0.160” thickness. Same for the walls around the mounting face. At the bosses it is 0.350” thick. I don’t know what that means for welding, I just know it feels very thin 😬

How flat is the front?

Maybe you could solder or braze a plate there.

Ok, gentlemen, today I took a Chrysler K car pump and the E-series 460 pump and removed the outlet fittings an flow control/pressure regulator valves out for comparison.

First is front of the Ford pump.

DSCN2735.thumb.jpg.70827297ae5fd0f3d74bee01ea449df0.jpg

DSCN2734.thumb.jpg.4365e15c9a6d08b598d74792da207c66.jpg

DSCN2736.thumb.jpg.0b7e84ae03bcaf23bd36c2d72930ac6b.jpg

DSCN2737.thumb.jpg.dff78da1d313503ba3fc4c76ec684be9.jpg

DSCN2729.thumb.jpg.4da46d3a86ebdb89ed0be84bde628c78.jpg

DSCN2730.thumb.jpg.a47984c6e7fb934bf2cd9d0bb1cb2237.jpg

DSCN2731.thumb.jpg.19bd48cb8af084d8287d6d714a0acf03.jpg

DSCN2732.thumb.jpg.e11a8678819976051beb56ea794c2c4e.jpg

DSCN2733.thumb.jpg.7594d0c9eed1cf5ce0e79c6c48c3ce58.jpg

Ok, gentlemen, today I took a Chrysler K car pump and the E-series 460 pump and removed the outlet fittings an flow control/pressure regulator valves out for comparison.

First is front of the Ford pump.

Next, the front of the Chrysler pump

As you can see, not much difference. Next the back of the Ford pump, note only one stud.

Now the back of the Chrysler pump, note two studs as it pivots on the lower stud and matching bolt hole.

Next the valves, here are the pair, Ford on top, Chrysler below. The Ford spring is stronger than the Chrysler one.

Ford outlet fitting, note the size of the hole.

Chrysler outlet fitting, smaller hole.

Control valves disassembled. Ford first, the hex end has a screen in it.

Now the Chrysler, note the 4 shims, obviously for the lower pressure for the rack and pinion vs integral gear, also keep in mind the piston area of a Ford integral gear and a K-car rack.

Hope these will help, if I get a chance and still have one, I will do the same on a GM hydroboost pump off a 350 Diesel.

Very, very, good info right there... thank you! I had read that some pumps put out a little more than others but I was not aware of the specific differences. That is very good to know. My particular pump is from a GMC one-ton dually with hydroboost so hopefully I can make it fit. The reservoir barb and return line barbs are a real problem. I need a reservoir like this, but I got the image from a thread asking what it might have come from and no one knew...

B1001105-3217-4585-8093-208B15EAA345.jpeg.ec3803502cff4fa6caa9103b9adb7d7d.jpeg

And while it solves the problem of the remote reservoir barb, it has no return. I assume the original application had a return in the remote can. But I read a thread about someone who installed a performance PSC pump and had a problem with the return forming a violent vortex in the remote can and foaming up the fluid and making the pump suck air. Even the big aftermarket PSC remote can with internal baffles didn’t solve it so he had to go back to a standard pump. So as much as I like the idea of circulating the fluid I’m a little nervous to run the returns into that little stock can, especially if my pump may be a higher output one.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/Super_Duty_Power_Steering.html

To answer the question about the face of the bracket, yes, it is smooth and flat. My thought would be to weld a stout aluminum plate onto the front side and proceed from there, but again I know nothing about welding aluminum or whether this would provide enough strength.

One thing that occurs to me is that the PSC horseshoe places the Saginaw shaft exactly where the axis of the Ford shaft was (where it needs to be). Looking at the “tips” of the horseshoe I don’t know if that is even possible with the walls of the IDI bracket. I might have to live with a bit of axis shift, or find a way to reinforce the face where I can cut away most of the wall:

B52E36AE-3EF8-471F-9259-D4AE3C368DF1.jpeg.22e7d762b30daeaaf722471c7e137e6c.jpeg

EF3902A8-67E5-4A05-B678-E9F16290C0E5.thumb.jpeg.6877974be02d7b7d9f667125e0292759.jpeg

6C45BDAB-DDF4-4F7B-8649-4E4A4BA592F3.jpeg.e722e8a6e48b3ce5eb9c8406f8e66023.jpeg

Another approach I saw was to make a mounting surface on the aluminum bracket upon which to bolt a separate steel mounting bracket for the pump:

7D9A9820-F57E-4F94-A620-CB93C5163E9E.jpeg.e1a638e0030ef830242ce0892db2ee74.jpeg

Lots of fabrication! Back converting to V belts sure is looking like a lot less hassle 🙄

Very, very, good info right there... thank you! I had read that some pumps put out a little more than others but I was not aware of the specific differences. That is very good to know. My particular pump is from a GMC one-ton dually with hydroboost so hopefully I can make it fit. The reservoir barb and return line barbs are a real problem. I need a reservoir like this, but I got the image from a thread asking what it might have come from and no one knew...

And while it solves the problem of the remote reservoir barb, it has no return. I assume the original application had a return in the remote can. But I read a thread about someone who installed a performance PSC pump and had a problem with the return forming a violent vortex in the remote can and foaming up the fluid and making the pump suck air. Even the big aftermarket PSC remote can with internal baffles didn’t solve it so he had to go back to a standard pump. So as much as I like the idea of circulating the fluid I’m a little nervous to run the returns into that little stock can, especially if my pump may be a higher output one.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/Super_Duty_Power_Steering.html

To answer the question about the face of the bracket, yes, it is smooth and flat. My thought would be to weld a stout aluminum plate onto the front side and proceed from there, but again I know nothing about welding aluminum or whether this would provide enough strength.

One thing that occurs to me is that the PSC horseshoe places the Saginaw shaft exactly where the axis of the Ford shaft was (where it needs to be). Looking at the “tips” of the horseshoe I don’t know if that is even possible with the walls of the IDI bracket. I might have to live with a bit of axis shift, or find a way to reinforce the face where I can cut away most of the wall:

Another approach I saw was to make a mounting surface on the aluminum bracket upon which to bolt a separate steel mounting bracket for the pump:

Lots of fabrication! Back converting to V belts sure is looking like a lot less hassle 🙄

That could be from a motorhome, they were on a modified P30 chassis (severely overloaded) and may well have had a remote, in front of the radiator reservoir for serviceability. Talk to some RV people as GM was the only one making class A chassis after Chrysler pulled out until Ford went back into the business.

That could be from a motorhome, they were on a modified P30 chassis (severely overloaded) and may well have had a remote, in front of the radiator reservoir for serviceability. Talk to some RV people as GM was the only one making class A chassis after Chrysler pulled out until Ford went back into the business.

You are absolutely right, the large motor homes have these types of remote reservoir pumps. I have found 5 of them now, and they have the larger diameter remote reservoir hose like the 6.2 diesel. However, all 5 have so far been hydroboost with two return ports in configurations similar to mine, and all have the remote reservoir barb on the edge of the can rather than the back. I continue to check as they come into the yards though, as they each seem slightly different and I might just get lucky and find the “perfect” reservoir.