Bullnose Forums

Saginaw for a serpentine IDI: brainstorming

Ford F834

Scott will be over in a few minutes and I'll ask him what he thinks about welding that.

Scott, who runs a welding supply shop in Tulsa, said that if we turn the hub down so we have at least an 1/8" of the bottom hub showing it'll be easy to weld it. Then he said "Remind me what welder you have? Oh, we've not gotten you a TIG yet?" :nabble_smiley_wink:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, who runs a welding supply shop in Tulsa, said that if we turn the hub down so we have at least an 1/8" of the bottom hub showing it'll be easy to weld it. Then he said "Remind me what welder you have? Oh, we've not gotten you a TIG yet?" :nabble_smiley_wink:

I've done stuff with a stick that I never could have with any TIG setup I know of.

Like welding through a hole or down inside a small box.

I like TIG for the control you have, but sometimes there just isn't room.

I've done stuff with a stick that I never could have with any TIG setup I know of.

Like welding through a hole or down inside a small box.

I like TIG for the control you have, but sometimes there just isn't room.

I own a stick welder, but it is near Bill in Lower Slower Delaware with a guy that borrowed it many years ago. When we moved I told him to keep it as the MIG works well.

But Scott thinks that this would be a good application for TIG. So, I may let him show me how to do it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a pic I took while measuring the rear offset of the Saginaw pulley. The access is not impossible, but not great either...

The IDI pulley for the C2 is metal, not plastic. Not that it matters since it can't be used.

With the knowledge that I need to mount the Saginaw as far forward as possible, I took another look at my brackets. I was hoping that I might be able to mount the steel bracket onto the aluminum one some way. The problem is there is just no meat to bolt through on the aluminum. It looks good holding it up, but I can’t think of any way to attach it:

C4651E1C-9DD7-478A-B5C1-DFC0A657DCD5.jpeg.0642fe3aa5fb3b3b96d5ca0caf2f3ed7.jpeg

CEA1D059-CD0F-4C02-85E2-D1C14D8AFE72.jpeg.c8889fa27698693dce0d5c267cc71ee2.jpeg

I am still toying with the idea of ordering the PSC horseshoe, but it gives you a very fixed location as far as the shaft axis. So one idea I had was to cut my steel bracket for support on the back side of the aluminum, and make another plate on the front and bolt through like a sandwich.

1D20ACD9-DAA0-4198-958B-4E8C43C29CBA.jpeg.9aa43a6ad29621bccb3b67c36687579a.jpeg

8C7A3B28-E5E5-4F70-96D2-117AA6FF2A90.jpeg.dc91a3b4a7673152e5fd613e042fc56e.jpeg

A04679DB-BEE1-47C1-A58C-A4D46E9D2C9C.jpeg.1023f3c3e1239d64c993b164e96b47f1.jpeg

Honestly none of this is giving me warm rosy feelings. I would probably throw in the towel and go with V belts except I sent all those accessories to Czech Republic as spares for Jan. My alternator, AC compressor, and vacuum pump are all serpentine now.

With the knowledge that I need to mount the Saginaw as far forward as possible, I took another look at my brackets. I was hoping that I might be able to mount the steel bracket onto the aluminum one some way. The problem is there is just no meat to bolt through on the aluminum. It looks good holding it up, but I can’t think of any way to attach it:

I am still toying with the idea of ordering the PSC horseshoe, but it gives you a very fixed location as far as the shaft axis. So one idea I had was to cut my steel bracket for support on the back side of the aluminum, and make another plate on the front and bolt through like a sandwich.

Honestly none of this is giving me warm rosy feelings. I would probably throw in the towel and go with V belts except I sent all those accessories to Czech Republic as spares for Jan. My alternator, AC compressor, and vacuum pump are all serpentine now.

What about transferring the shape to a piece of aluminum and welding that into the backside of the housing? Wish I'd have seen this 15 minutes ago as Scott was here, but surely ......

What about transferring the shape to a piece of aluminum and welding that into the backside of the housing? Wish I'd have seen this 15 minutes ago as Scott was here, but surely ......

Gary, I think Scott would have to check out this bracket in person. This is way outside my area of experience, but my feeling is that the bracket is just too darn thin to weld on. It feels analogous to welding a new bottom in a paper cup. I could be wrong, but that’s just my impression.

My next step with this is going to be to remove the reservoir on the pump. The second return for the hydroboost is keeping it from nesting inside the bracket. I will probably need to find a single return can (ironically) and run a T or other solution. With the can off I should be able to tell if the PSC adapter is even a possibility.

Gary, I think Scott would have to check out this bracket in person. This is way outside my area of experience, but my feeling is that the bracket is just too darn thin to weld on. It feels analogous to welding a new bottom in a paper cup. I could be wrong, but that’s just my impression.

My next step with this is going to be to remove the reservoir on the pump. The second return for the hydroboost is keeping it from nesting inside the bracket. I will probably need to find a single return can (ironically) and run a T or other solution. With the can off I should be able to tell if the PSC adapter is even a possibility.

I have a single-return can and will swap for the dual if that's what you need.

As for welding, I don't doubt he can do it. It is a question of if it would be strong enough after doing so.

I was going to suggest I show him my bracket, but it isn't thin so apparently they are quite different.

I have a single-return can and will swap for the dual if that's what you need.

As for welding, I don't doubt he can do it. It is a question of if it would be strong enough after doing so.

I was going to suggest I show him my bracket, but it isn't thin so apparently they are quite different.

Unfortunately I would still need a round canister remote reservoir type as the ham can won’t fit in there. But I think I have seen them in the junkyard.

I have not hefted the thickness of the 460 bracket with the pump removed, so I can’t say if it is as thin as mine or not. The three bolt bosses for the C2 pump are 0.35” thick at that point, but they are raised bosses and the rest is very much thinner. I figured it would be possible to weld it, but the strength concerns me and there is not much room for reinforcing it.

Unfortunately I would still need a round canister remote reservoir type as the ham can won’t fit in there. But I think I have seen them in the junkyard.

I have not hefted the thickness of the 460 bracket with the pump removed, so I can’t say if it is as thin as mine or not. The three bolt bosses for the C2 pump are 0.35” thick at that point, but they are raised bosses and the rest is very much thinner. I figured it would be possible to weld it, but the strength concerns me and there is not much room for reinforcing it.

I have the pump off mine as I wanted to clean the bracket before I do anything else. I can measure the thickness for you just tell me where you want it measured.

I have the pump off mine as I wanted to clean the bracket before I do anything else. I can measure the thickness for you just tell me where you want it measured.

Thanks. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to check the face thickeness where the pump mounts between the gussets or bosses if it has any, and the thickness of the curved support wall. I can check the same spots on mine to see if it is in fact thinner.

Maybe Gary, once I know the actual thickness you could ask the welding expert and see what he thinks as far as strength?