Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

Its alive!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

Glad you got it going. I don't know anything about the different brackets and water pumps or pulleys, but I'll bet you figure it out. :nabble_smiley_good:

Seems like I have played myself a bit on the water pump. And that my brackets are more unique than I thought. After very confusing research, EFI trucks had a reverse water pump. It said all serpentine belts had reverse except a few. Well I fall in the few that still has a standard rotation but also serpentine. It's gonna require a couple of water pumps to get it right as I need one with round holes in the back as it will need to mount to the reverse rotation timing cover, and the water pump will have standard rotation holes. I'll have to take the backing plate off the round hole one and out it on the standard pump for it to mount correctly, fit correctly, and cool correctly. A pain but at least hopefully I have it figured out.

Congratulations on getting it fired up! We have the same taste in valve covers.

Few new things. Very close to being done. Got pretty well everything on.. waiting on thermostat to water pump hose and a longer belt which should be here later tonight. Scared myself for a bit..was careful about the torque converter but yesterday I went to start it and put it in gear and nothing.. added some fluid because I do have a small leak. Started and died when I put it in gear. Put it in neutral and started it and revved, nothing so out of disappointment slammed it in park and heard it grind. Moved the transfer case lever and it moved leached forward when I put it back in gear. Big relief.

Got the new water pump on.. had to use 2 to get the circles on the backing plate and then have the standard rotation but, all is well.

Here's a pic of the engine sitting where it should

20211123_104058.jpg.9d434f6ad4b62d76c8cad554efd55215.jpg

Few new things. Very close to being done. Got pretty well everything on.. waiting on thermostat to water pump hose and a longer belt which should be here later tonight. Scared myself for a bit..was careful about the torque converter but yesterday I went to start it and put it in gear and nothing.. added some fluid because I do have a small leak. Started and died when I put it in gear. Put it in neutral and started it and revved, nothing so out of disappointment slammed it in park and heard it grind. Moved the transfer case lever and it moved leached forward when I put it back in gear. Big relief.

Got the new water pump on.. had to use 2 to get the circles on the backing plate and then have the standard rotation but, all is well.

Nice! Getting there.

Cool! Getting all of those details worked out is great. And glad you figured out about the t-case being in neutral. That had to be very concerning.

Cool! Getting all of those details worked out is great. And glad you figured out about the t-case being in neutral. That had to be very concerning.

Yeah it was definitely concerning but very relived when I found out it was the transfer case. The only other thing right now is that I don't have two bolts in the head for the accessory bracket. They can adapt to the 351 since its taller/wider, but the bolt hole that it goes through is just blocked off enough by the power steering pulley that it wont go in with the bolt's flange/shoulder. Had to enlarge the holes a little too. They just weren't wide enough to let it bolt into the head for some reason. Since it was aluminum and just a tad smaller than 1/2, I took the 'flange' out of the hole and thats all it took to get everything lined up.

Yeah it was definitely concerning but very relived when I found out it was the transfer case. The only other thing right now is that I don't have two bolts in the head for the accessory bracket. They can adapt to the 351 since its taller/wider, but the bolt hole that it goes through is just blocked off enough by the power steering pulley that it wont go in with the bolt's flange/shoulder. Had to enlarge the holes a little too. They just weren't wide enough to let it bolt into the head for some reason. Since it was aluminum and just a tad smaller than 1/2, I took the 'flange' out of the hole and thats all it took to get everything lined up.

Good to hear it is getting closer to run.

Only thing that worries me is that timing cover and water pump set up.

I think even changing the pumps backing cover to reverse rotate to match the timing cover but leaving the pump normal rotate may cause issues.

If it was that easy Ford would have done that from the start in my book.

I would be watching the temp gauge really close when on the road.

Dave ----

Good to hear it is getting closer to run.

Only thing that worries me is that timing cover and water pump set up.

I think even changing the pumps backing cover to reverse rotate to match the timing cover but leaving the pump normal rotate may cause issues.

If it was that easy Ford would have done that from the start in my book.

I would be watching the temp gauge really close when on the road.

Dave ----

I definitely will still but I think it will be okay. The 87 Mustang for sure, maybe other years or models, have a circle instead of the oval. It only puts water pretty well in the place where it meets the block. The other oval part where it kinda directs it to go to that circle vs just having the circle. Hoping for it to be good as everything looked good and lined up. Why they made that circle one those year(s) and then their timing cover they sell now has the circles to be universal, I don't know why they just didn't do it then/all the time.

Also Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely will still but I think it will be okay. The 87 Mustang for sure, maybe other years or models, have a circle instead of the oval. It only puts water pretty well in the place where it meets the block. The other oval part where it kinda directs it to go to that circle vs just having the circle. Hoping for it to be good as everything looked good and lined up. Why they made that circle one those year(s) and then their timing cover they sell now has the circles to be universal, I don't know why they just didn't do it then/all the time.

Also Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I have no idea what's going on. I put coolant in the Bronco when I got the water pump on there and tried to start it before Thanksgiving, turned a little and locked up. Pulled sparkplugs and coolant pretty well came out of all of them, a couple kept shooting out a lot at a time. I thought maybe I got it too hot when I was checking to see if it would move, but still was a minute tops total run time. Redid it all this weekend and just tried again and coolant came running out of the headers.. I just don't know why this thing is so cursed.

I have no idea what's going on. I put coolant in the Bronco when I got the water pump on there and tried to start it before Thanksgiving, turned a little and locked up. Pulled sparkplugs and coolant pretty well came out of all of them, a couple kept shooting out a lot at a time. I thought maybe I got it too hot when I was checking to see if it would move, but still was a minute tops total run time. Redid it all this weekend and just tried again and coolant came running out of the headers.. I just don't know why this thing is so cursed.

If you only started it for a few seconds then you probably didn't hurt it.

From going back over the thread you've not put coolant in it until just now, which is when you got coolant in the cylinders. Right? If so, then I think you have a gasket problem between the head and the intake. It would be easy for a gasket to slide down as you installed the intake and then coolant to go into the cylinders. And that's essentially the only way it can get in w/o a crack in the intake, head, or block.

If you only started it for a few seconds then you probably didn't hurt it.

From going back over the thread you've not put coolant in it until just now, which is when you got coolant in the cylinders. Right? If so, then I think you have a gasket problem between the head and the intake. It would be easy for a gasket to slide down as you installed the intake and then coolant to go into the cylinders. And that's essentially the only way it can get in w/o a crack in the intake, head, or block.

I put some coolant in it and let it set and started it the next day. I don't think it was high enough to go into the intake, but I could be wrong. Tore it all the way down to the block and checked with my smallest feeler gauge and a straight edge and it was overall good, couple kinda went under, not fully though but also my smallest feeler. I think that the gasket would take up that but could be wrong. I filled it all the way up today and it still filled up with coolant. I checked everything with the straight edge and replaced intake and head gaskets.