Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

Got everything together and good. Had to take it all apart again. I read a write up that said if it looks like the seal is starting, it will tighten up whenever the wheel bearing got tight. I should've known better as the axle shaft wouldn't be affected by that. So had to get that seal ring fully seated and the axle was far enough out that I could put the clip on then. Goes to the alignment shop tomorrow evening.

Bought another truck. No title, engine or trans so it was super cheap. Honestly bought it because it had the correct door panels and in black to match the interior. Was going to scrap it a bit after that but then I saw that it had a 9 in rear. Checked the front and saw that it had 3.50s in it so I may think about swapping third members since of the tire size. I'll have to check the rear if it is a limited slip or not. That would be a nice bonus too.

Good news! Good find on the spare truck.

:nabble_smiley_good: You'll be driving it soon!

So I've wondered about this tach. I've calculated my RPM and its 1900, the tach says 3000.

Could the tach be bad or not properly grounded?? The engine sure doesn't sound like 3000rpm so I think the trans wouldn't be slipping.

So I've wondered about this tach. I've calculated my RPM and its 1900, the tach says 3000.

Could the tach be bad or not properly grounded?? The engine sure doesn't sound like 3000rpm so I think the trans wouldn't be slipping.

The tach should have a terminal 'ground here for V-8' but otherwise I can't say that is the cause of your mis-calibration.

Unfortunately the entire instrument cluster changed with the advent of my model year, so I don't have one to refer to.

The tach should have a terminal 'ground here for V-8' but otherwise I can't say that is the cause of your mis-calibration.

Unfortunately the entire instrument cluster changed with the advent of my model year, so I don't have one to refer to.

Yeah I wonder if at lower RPMs it's closer since it's not that much but as it gets higher it gets further off.

I wonder if the cluster was from a 6 cyl truck? I'm pretty sure I saw rings all around the connectors. Unless they didn't ground it another way. May take it off and create a jumper and see.

Somewhere it was not grounded. Thought about it and if a 4cyl 2x the RPM, then the 6cyl would be 1.5x. So that would make the 3,000rpm check out for a 2,000rpm V8. Took it apart, made a jumper and took it on the road and sure enough, little over 2,000 for 60mph.

Somewhere it was not grounded. Thought about it and if a 4cyl 2x the RPM, then the 6cyl would be 1.5x. So that would make the 3,000rpm check out for a 2,000rpm V8. Took it apart, made a jumper and took it on the road and sure enough, little over 2,000 for 60mph.

Glad you figured it out. :nabble_anim_claps:

Time to work on this popping at a pedal position. Doesn't really matter the RPM, just about mid pedal it softly pops, you can floor it and it doesn't pop, it just has the same power as it does when it is making the pops.

Gonna pull the plugs and see

So I'm beginning to wonder if there is an intake gasket leak, just a small one, that may have become bigger. Or maybe the valves are out of adjustment? I have a video of when the guy sent me the engine, a video of when I first got it in the Bronco, and then now. The now video, it has sounded like that ever since I put the intake back on it. The other videos just sound like each other more and more healthy to me. The only difference really was the passenger head coming off and the intake.

Engine in the car:

Engine first in the Bronco:

Engine in the Bronco now:

Also this is what the #1 spark plug looked like, I don't think it looked bad, definitely not rich

I04PBnv.jpg.1401ef1bf01cb819536a4c8e99a04683.jpg

So I'm beginning to wonder if there is an intake gasket leak, just a small one, that may have become bigger. Or maybe the valves are out of adjustment? I have a video of when the guy sent me the engine, a video of when I first got it in the Bronco, and then now. The now video, it has sounded like that ever since I put the intake back on it. The other videos just sound like each other more and more healthy to me. The only difference really was the passenger head coming off and the intake.

Engine in the car:

Also this is what the #1 spark plug looked like, I don't think it looked bad, definitely not rich

When my intake leaked it made a whistling noise.

When i poured some water over the leak the noise would stop and the engine would bog down a bit.

When i pulled the i take the gasket was mush. I never did like that edlebrock gasket and much happier i used felpro the second time around. It was a better fit from the start.

Engine in the car:

That plug looks fine.

How many miles are on it?