Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

Well,. a C6 can't do 1:1, but 3.00 and 33's should give your Bronco long legs.

(At least compared to my 31.5/4:10 combo!)

I would say try manually shifting it up through the gears.

Get a feel for how long you want it to hold and hard you want it to shift.

Make sure the modulator you have now isn't leaking at all.

Install some sort of kickdown linkage.

It sounds like you are getting a better handle on it.

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

About that. It does a good job of holding it long when the pedal is down, could fine tune it some more. But I was going to ask. Why would power be different in 1 & 2 than Drive? I noticed driving it today. I could drop it to 2 and accelerate and it would do alright, back up to D and it felt more free so to speak. It may be a little low on fluid from when I changed transfer case ( some ATF leaked out and the case was dry and the tailshaft wasn't).

About that. It does a good job of holding it long when the pedal is down, could fine tune it some more. But I was going to ask. Why would power be different in 1 & 2 than Drive? I noticed driving it today. I could drop it to 2 and accelerate and it would do alright, back up to D and it felt more free so to speak. It may be a little low on fluid from when I changed transfer case ( some ATF leaked out and the case was dry and the tailshaft wasn't).

Why do you have gears in a manual gearbox? :nabble_anim_confused:

I think the ratios in the original C6 are 2.46:1, 1.46:1 and (of course) 1:1.

But the planetary gearset changed when the C6 went electronic to become first the E4OD and then the 4R-100.

So different ratios can be found in those later models.

It is always dependant on the input pump for pressure and the torque converter for slip.

If it is low on fluid expect it to be slow to engage gear and engagement to be harsh.

Why do you have gears in a manual gearbox? :nabble_anim_confused:

I think the ratios in the original C6 are 2.46:1, 1.46:1 and (of course) 1:1.

But the planetary gearset changed when the C6 went electronic to become first the E4OD and then the 4R-100.

So different ratios can be found in those later models.

It is always dependant on the input pump for pressure and the torque converter for slip.

If it is low on fluid expect it to be slow to engage gear and engagement to be harsh.

I just didn't think the power would be different in 1 & 2 vs D. I mean it can still be in 2nd inside the transmission and be 2nd on the column and then when I switch to D in the column it becomes more alive. It'll still be in 2nd in the trans but is more free/power. I just know in my AOD and Dodge that it was always the same power wherever the gear selector was at. I'll check fluid today whenever I get home.

I just didn't think the power would be different in 1 & 2 vs D. I mean it can still be in 2nd inside the transmission and be 2nd on the column and then when I switch to D in the column it becomes more alive. It'll still be in 2nd in the trans but is more free/power. I just know in my AOD and Dodge that it was always the same power wherever the gear selector was at. I'll check fluid today whenever I get home.

Do you understand how this transmission works???

If 1 or 2 is selected, it is locked in 1st or 2nd.

This is great if you want or need engine braking.

But obviously it isn't going to feel fluid if the fluid coupling part is deliberately bypassed.

Do you understand how this transmission works???

If 1 or 2 is selected, it is locked in 1st or 2nd.

This is great if you want or need engine braking.

But obviously it isn't going to feel fluid if the fluid coupling part is deliberately bypassed.

Yeah I get 2nd would be 2nd always but I noticed while going up my county road with the column in second already going 15mph and I shift it to D, the transmission doesn't shift I know it's still in 2nd as I haven't heard it shift, but it becomes more free. I probably should've said already moving and not taking off from 2nd at a stop like it sounded like.

Yeah I get 2nd would be 2nd always but I noticed while going up my county road with the column in second already going 15mph and I shift it to D, the transmission doesn't shift I know it's still in 2nd as I haven't heard it shift, but it becomes more free. I probably should've said already moving and not taking off from 2nd at a stop like it sounded like.

Yeah, it's not locked in 2nd.

This older type of automatic transmission uses planetary gear sets, and hydraulics to shift between gears.

A non-lockup torque converter usually allows the kickdown lever and vacuum modulator to determine what the transmission is being asked to do.

Except when you tell it it is going to stay in 2nd.

Then there is no ambiguity.

As parts are coming in to finish the other 2 trucks and new goodies for the Bronco, I cut myself with a grinder when it kicked back. 8 stitches later and here we are. I can probably work on the paint making it look good on the other trucks but probably not getting underneath anything for a bit.

As parts are coming in to finish the other 2 trucks and new goodies for the Bronco, I cut myself with a grinder when it kicked back. 8 stitches later and here we are. I can probably work on the paint making it look good on the other trucks but probably not getting underneath anything for a bit.

Bummer! Ouch! :nabble_smiley_scared:

Hope you heal up quickly. That sounds painful and quite limiting for your project time.

Stitches come out tomorrow hopefully. Then I can feel more comfortable getting underneath vehicles. Its still a couple inches below the knee so hopefully don't feel it too much with bending the knee. Hopefully will also stay dry as its supposed to rain the next couple days so.

Bummer! Ouch! :nabble_smiley_scared:

Hope you heal up quickly. That sounds painful and quite limiting for your project time.

Current plans before I get it all registered and plates to drive.

Swap out the fuel tank, change ATF/install the shift kit.

Plans coming up:

Fuel tank/Meter Match

Shift Kit

Swap Bumpers

Rear Tailgate/Window Motor replacement

Swap Dash

Find a Tach and put it in while doing the dash swap.