Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

Sure there is.

Get a 15/16 deep socket and a breaker bar.

Remove the distributor cap rock the crank forward and back.

See how far the breaker bar moves before the rotor changes direction.

I'm gonna pick up some spark plugs tomorrow and then try that with the breaker bar while the plugs are out.

Sure there is.

Get a 15/16 deep socket and a breaker bar.

Remove the distributor cap rock the crank forward and back.

See how far the breaker bar moves before the rotor changes direction.

I agree, when you said it tries to fire every so often, I thought timing. Jim has a good idea there.

How much should it be between going back and forth?

The rotor stays just a little bit at the slightest moving of the crank.

Replaced sparkplugs and fired right up. Ran for a bit and it started loading down and I pressed on the throttle more to keep it running. I noticed some puffs of black smoke and then it went a little bit more than puffs of black smoke.

Eventually died to where it wouldn't start and actually popped and there was a small fire in the carb. So there's definitely fueling issues for sure. Not sure on timing as I had to keep advancing it to make it start the more it got loaded down with fuel, and also not sure about the wire cross thats possible on these.

The rotor stays just a little bit at the slightest moving of the crank.

Replaced sparkplugs and fired right up. Ran for a bit and it started loading down and I pressed on the throttle more to keep it running. I noticed some puffs of black smoke and then it went a little bit more than puffs of black smoke.

Eventually died to where it wouldn't start and actually popped and there was a small fire in the carb. So there's definitely fueling issues for sure. Not sure on timing as I had to keep advancing it to make it start the more it got loaded down with fuel, and also not sure about the wire cross thats possible on these.

Well, if the rotor changes direction at the same time you change direction of the crank it doesn't seem there's much slop in the chain.

But the backfire in the carb certainly does sound like a skipped (or really sloppy) chain.

Your cam card will tell you what the firing order should be.

I'm not on top of the Windsor cams, but know the H.O. cams are different.

How much should it be between going back and forth?

I think more than 5 degrees of crank reverse is too sloppy to run right.

It's much easier for most people to visualize the breaker bar as the minute hand of a clock, and divide the 360 degrees around the crank into 72 parts.

So less than one minute on a clock.

It's much easier for most people to visualize the breaker bar as the minute hand of a clock, and divide the 360 degrees around the crank into 72 parts.

Was it the 302 or 351 that could have the wrong firing order with a different cam? I thought it was the 302 and you used the 351 firing order.

I can’t remember, did you make sure the distributor is installed properly?

Backfiring and a carb fire could be timing.

I'm assuming you're talking timing marks, if so it was just a few small bumps before moving, that probably equaled 2* when going back and forth.

The parts for that Holley should be here today so I'm gonna clean it up and throw it on there and see if its any different.

I'm assuming you're talking timing marks, if so it was just a few small bumps before moving, that probably equaled 2* when going back and forth.

The parts for that Holley should be here today so I'm gonna clean it up and throw it on there and see if its any different.

Nothing about timing marks.

You're never looking at the crank damper.

You have a breaker bar handle.

You turn the crank clockwise while watching the ignition rotor.

You stop and turn the crank counterclockwise.

How far does the breaker bar handle move before the distributor rotor decides to go the other way?

If the answer is more than 5* then you have your answer.

Nothing about timing marks.

You're never looking at the crank damper.

You have a breaker bar handle.

You turn the crank clockwise while watching the ignition rotor.

You stop and turn the crank counterclockwise.

How far does the breaker bar handle move before the distributor rotor decides to go the other way?

If the answer is more than 5* then you have your answer.

Making sure we're talking about 360* and not timing marks. On the second very slight bump backwards the rotor started moving so I would say thats good.