Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

Well, I couldn't get the intake totally sealed. Tried some wrap but it leaked out. BUT. Did find a good leak. It came right out and it didn't leak out the top of the carb til a finger was placed over it. What is this? Is there supposed to be a screw here? Like I said smoke came right out and when it was running it pulled my finger in hard. Idle didn't seem to change though which makes me think more maybe but.. this is a step in the right direction.

Gary is the Edelbrock expert, but judging from it being on the choke body maybe vacuum pull-off or for heated choke assist?

Gary is the Edelbrock expert, but judging from it being on the choke body maybe vacuum pull-off or for heated choke assist?

From what I have found it is supposed to be there. It is supposed to be for the electric choke. Half say to plug it since its a leak, half say to not because it deals with the operation of the choke and is a metered leak. That could be why the idle didn't really change when I put my finger over it.

From what I have found it is supposed to be there. It is supposed to be for the electric choke. Half say to plug it since its a leak, half say to not because it deals with the operation of the choke and is a metered leak. That could be why the idle didn't really change when I put my finger over it.

It is for sure supposed to be plugged.

27I90it.jpg.cf51a9db3559df3d4c5a74cd70f03110.jpg

I was working on my choke last night and took the picture below. My carb is a 1406 and the choke assembly pictured is what the Carb came with. Obviously, your's is not the same as mine. Thinking like Jim in that it is some kind of heated assist or a hodge-podge mix between electric and exhaust heated type choke assembly.

IMG_0748.thumb.jpg.b88f8b0f6fdff675f2526b25e7d670a6.jpg

I was working on my choke last night and took the picture below. My carb is a 1406 and the choke assembly pictured is what the Carb came with. Obviously, your's is not the same as mine. Thinking like Jim in that it is some kind of heated assist or a hodge-podge mix between electric and exhaust heated type choke assembly.

John - You are right and I started into that in my response and then ditched it as it got complicated.

The Edelbrock electric choke kit uses that port to pull a piston as part of the vacuum pull-off. But clearly his doesn't have that. He just has the bimetallic spring arrangement w/o the piston. I've not seen that, but it should work although won't have the pull-off function.

You don't have the electric choke hooked up.

You've even bent the spade over backwards.

How does your truck warm up in cold weather? 🤔

Just some RTV?

Redoing the battery cables currently. Should be done today. The cable to the starter had a spot rubbed through and I just put tape on it when I found it. Finally after having the starter just click when trying to start sometimes, I decided to get rid of the horrible ground clamp and redo it all. Went with 2 AWG and it was a debate I had with myself but glad I did. 2 AWG was much bigger than anything there so, glad I didn't spend more for thicker wire. It'll be a big upgrade from a connection stand point and wire thickness.

I got the hole plugged and will probably do the smoke test tomorrow with using duct tape to seal... if the heat isn't too bad when I get off.

Redoing the battery cables currently. Should be done today. The cable to the starter had a spot rubbed through and I just put tape on it when I found it. Finally after having the starter just click when trying to start sometimes, I decided to get rid of the horrible ground clamp and redo it all. Went with 2 AWG and it was a debate I had with myself but glad I did. 2 AWG was much bigger than anything there so, glad I didn't spend more for thicker wire. It'll be a big upgrade from a connection stand point and wire thickness.

I got the hole plugged and will probably do the smoke test tomorrow with using duct tape to seal... if the heat isn't too bad when I get off.

I think 2 awg is very good for these trucks, and that's what I used on Big Blue's 460.