Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

My "truck" time these days is being split between getting things lined out for the show and alerting everyone, adding pages to the website, working in the background to getting a new home for the forum, answering email about trucks, and working on Big Blue. I'm happy to help people, but don't want to spend the time to figure out what they have if it could have been in the signature. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Gary, very much appreciate all that you have done and continue to do here. You too, Jim. I've been real needy lately but the two of you and a few other members have always been prompt and willing to help me out. I am grateful.

My "truck" time these days is being split between getting things lined out for the show and alerting everyone, adding pages to the website, working in the background to getting a new home for the forum, answering email about trucks, and working on Big Blue. I'm happy to help people, but don't want to spend the time to figure out what they have if it could have been in the signature. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Gary, very much appreciate all that you have done and continue to do here. You too, Jim. I've been real needy lately but the two of you and a few other members have always been prompt and willing to help me out. I am grateful.

This is a labor of love. And I enjoy helping. Gives me a sense of contribution. But things are getting a bit hectic at the moment, so I really appreciate the others jumping in. Many hands make the load light.

It didn't look bad when I glanced at it but I'll check again and take a pic. All I did last time to was just take the accelerator nozzle off and shoot some carb cleaner down the plunger hole, then took the plunger and slowly went down and it started working again.

Started it today and got it moving. Still wanted to die when put in gear, so I limped it down and turned the fuel screws half turn to see if it was just a fuel issue in gear. It idles in gear but wanted to die before it moved. Limped it back and seemed better so I got on it a bit and it still stumbled but didn't dip way down like it usually did. After that it seemed to be fine. There is still the stumble from the accelerator pump I assume but it drove and could actually move the pedal somewhat normal again. So whats the thought on the tank? Plastic vs Steel? I just don't want to do a steel and then have problems a few years later.

Also put more in my sig so there doesn't need to be backtracking

Started it today and got it moving. Still wanted to die when put in gear, so I limped it down and turned the fuel screws half turn to see if it was just a fuel issue in gear. It idles in gear but wanted to die before it moved. Limped it back and seemed better so I got on it a bit and it still stumbled but didn't dip way down like it usually did. After that it seemed to be fine. There is still the stumble from the accelerator pump I assume but it drove and could actually move the pedal somewhat normal again. So whats the thought on the tank? Plastic vs Steel? I just don't want to do a steel and then have problems a few years later.

Also put more in my sig so there doesn't need to be backtracking

I don't think steel is inferior.

Look, it took 38 years for that one to go bad.

And I'm not sure if your '82 sat neglected for a long time at some point in its life.

One of the WORST things you can do to a fuel system is let it sit for an extended period.

I don't think steel is inferior.

Look, it took 38 years for that one to go bad.

And I'm not sure if your '82 sat neglected for a long time at some point in its life.

One of the WORST things you can do to a fuel system is let it sit for an extended period.

I think the guy I bought it from said it sat for a year, and who knows before that. I would be safe to say I probably need new everything? Straps, sending unit, tank, etc.. vs just the tank? I imagine by looking at the tailgate and if the fuel system is that dirty, that the straps won't be fun to get off or put back on.

I think the guy I bought it from said it sat for a year, and who knows before that. I would be safe to say I probably need new everything? Straps, sending unit, tank, etc.. vs just the tank? I imagine by looking at the tailgate and if the fuel system is that dirty, that the straps won't be fun to get off or put back on.

Also going to try to do the smoke test today, which hose should I pull to put smoke through it to see the intake leak? Brake booster? Am I looking for smoke coming from the valve covers?

Also going to try to do the smoke test today, which hose should I pull to put smoke through it to see the intake leak? Brake booster? Am I looking for smoke coming from the valve covers?

I wouldn't want to touch any vacuum lines.

You'll need to block off the carb anyhow (with a piece of foam rubber, towel, batt of insulation, whatever...)

A layer of plastic wrap first will get it air tight.

Be looking everywhere:

Vacuum trees front and rear.

Carb base

Intake gaskets.

HVAC tube and reservoir.

Obviously, if you see smoke coming out the oil filler/vent then you have reason to believe the a manifold gasket is leaking into the valley.

I wouldn't want to touch any vacuum lines.

You'll need to block off the carb anyhow (with a piece of foam rubber, towel, batt of insulation, whatever...)

A layer of plastic wrap first will get it air tight.

Be looking everywhere:

Vacuum trees front and rear.

Carb base

Intake gaskets.

HVAC tube and reservoir.

Obviously, if you see smoke coming out the oil filler/vent then you have reason to believe the a manifold gasket is leaking into the valley.

For the smoke test, I used the small vacuum line which normally connected to the temperature sensor in the air cleaner. The air cleaner was removed so that the carburetor throat could be sealed [i used duct tape].

Well, I couldn't get the intake totally sealed. Tried some wrap but it leaked out. BUT. Did find a good leak. It came right out and it didn't leak out the top of the carb til a finger was placed over it. What is this? Is there supposed to be a screw here? Like I said smoke came right out and when it was running it pulled my finger in hard. Idle didn't seem to change though which makes me think more maybe but.. this is a step in the right direction.

27I90it.jpg.fbb432760274e06dda6d56baeecda4e7.jpg