Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

Well I woke up decided to weld nuts to the front. So got the top one done. The bottom one didn't want to weld. I didn't have any new nuts to weld one so I found one laying around. So rusty nut and rusty bolt, plus having to go through the decorative cap Ford put on didn't make for the best ground/weld. (I tried vice grips on the threads the day before so the top one was nice and shiny and a new shiny nut.) Ended up getting probably 2 or 3 complete turns out of it before it broke. Gonna get a new nut and try again since I burned though the decorative cap, but with the few turns I got, and then spraying PB on the hot threads so it immediately sucked down in the nut, I'm confident it'll come out.

Yea them caps need to come off before welding anything to them.

I pulled them off before welding them to the back side.

Should just pry off IIRC

I think if you want new ones a good hardware store should have them.

Dave ----

Yea them caps need to come off before welding anything to them.

I pulled them off before welding them to the back side.

Should just pry off IIRC

I think if you want new ones a good hardware store should have them.

Dave ----

Got the front bumper off and cleaned up, rear bumper off and going to clean that up. Should have it all on soon.

Got the front bumper off and cleaned up, rear bumper off and going to clean that up. Should have it all on soon.

Shouldn't have said that at all. The Bronco's rear bumper took forever to get off,bolts/nuts getting stuck in the socket from getting them off and then a couple rounding off and having to beat a smaller socket on. Then to only get it off to notice that the frame brackets are totally different. The inner bumper looks to be the same, tried taking the brackets off the donor bumper and man they are tight. I broke my breaker bar and my ratchet trying to get them off. Guess I'll figure out something to get those brackets off.

Front looks good at least.

Shouldn't have said that at all. The Bronco's rear bumper took forever to get off,bolts/nuts getting stuck in the socket from getting them off and then a couple rounding off and having to beat a smaller socket on. Then to only get it off to notice that the frame brackets are totally different. The inner bumper looks to be the same, tried taking the brackets off the donor bumper and man they are tight. I broke my breaker bar and my ratchet trying to get them off. Guess I'll figure out something to get those brackets off.

Front looks good at least.

Bummer! Sometimes things go south in a hurry, and it looks like you've had your share. Here's hoping you get it figured out soon.

Bummer! Sometimes things go south in a hurry, and it looks like you've had your share. Here's hoping you get it figured out soon.

The sides that have the bar that are supposed to stay together are fairly short heads so it may just be grinder time..

Yeah, that’s too bad.

May not be looking into mine real soon now!

The front wasn't too bad. If I learned anything from this. If you wanna make it easy, get a drill and wire wheel get the rust off the threads and soak it. That was the big thing on the rear bumper bolts. The passenger side was a lot easier since the nuts weren't getting clogged up with rust. Just had a rounded head on that side but a smaller size worked perfectly. The massive heat from the weld on the first front bumper bolts made it just turn free like nothing.

The front wasn't too bad. If I learned anything from this. If you wanna make it easy, get a drill and wire wheel get the rust off the threads and soak it. That was the big thing on the rear bumper bolts. The passenger side was a lot easier since the nuts weren't getting clogged up with rust. Just had a rounded head on that side but a smaller size worked perfectly. The massive heat from the weld on the first front bumper bolts made it just turn free like nothing.

Backed it up a little for now since it is going to rain til tomorrow, I'll probably grind the bolts off the bracket Thursday.

One thing I noticed when I started it up.. there was a significant amount of air movement on me.. it was actually blowing through the vents. Usually I try it and it blows out defrost and I turn it back off. But I kept it on this time, I forgot I just turned the fan on low so I couldn't hear it. Would the vacuum from the engine being off and then back on make something go free? Just something for a bit later whenever I swap out the dash.

Backed it up a little for now since it is going to rain til tomorrow, I'll probably grind the bolts off the bracket Thursday.

One thing I noticed when I started it up.. there was a significant amount of air movement on me.. it was actually blowing through the vents. Usually I try it and it blows out defrost and I turn it back off. But I kept it on this time, I forgot I just turned the fan on low so I couldn't hear it. Would the vacuum from the engine being off and then back on make something go free? Just something for a bit later whenever I swap out the dash.

It is possible that the vacuum going off and back on freed something up. But did you do any work under the hood that might have moved a vacuum hose? I'm wondering if you have a cracked hose that got moved and sealed up enough to put vacuum on the system. That's because Defrost is the default position w/o vacuum.

It is possible that the vacuum going off and back on freed something up. But did you do any work under the hood that might have moved a vacuum hose? I'm wondering if you have a cracked hose that got moved and sealed up enough to put vacuum on the system. That's because Defrost is the default position w/o vacuum.

I've opened the hood to show my buddy but otherwise no actual movement. And it did go to defrost after that start up and wouldn't switch.