Bullnose Forum

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

That's one of the fancy bumpers. Love it! :nabble_anim_claps:

What all parts in the tailgate should be replaced? I didn't know what all was needed or not. I saw a kit on JBG and a lot of people said all of it isn't needed but didn't know if they meant just for motor replacements and needed it for rusted out tailgates or what. I'm going to replace the motor because I've been on the motor wires and nothing has happened.

• 1 month later...

Any metal should end up in the oil filter.

I would want to do a leakdown, but if the rings and valves are tight (something under 15-20%) there's a good bit of life left in it.

Besides a cam and lifter kit is a LOT less than an engine and it can be done in the truck.

If the cam journals are worn too bad then maybe you have to dig deeper but I wouldn't write the engine off just because of a bad lobe

Well I ended up doing what I wanted from the beginning, a 351W. Took it a step farther and got a 351 roller block. Sure the other owner may have not broke the lifters in right, but I'm not gonna have one wipe out again. Took it a step further with the build and got these.

Snapchat-1692788210.jpg.c953fa867b249690a36d39cef342d6ab.jpg

20211006_185854.jpg.cced488eaa5faf48c067d3884ddf88b5.jpg

20211006_185910.jpg.c1726f03729a4f982d25d7be7fd427a3.jpg

The engine came in today too but is at my buddy's shop where it got shipped. Hope to order more parts in the next week, get it built and put in.

Well I ended up doing what I wanted from the beginning, a 351W. Took it a step farther and got a 351 roller block. Sure the other owner may have not broke the lifters in right, but I'm not gonna have one wipe out again. Took it a step further with the build and got these.

The engine came in today too but is at my buddy's shop where it got shipped. Hope to order more parts in the next week, get it built and put in.

That’ll be a big change from a 302. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think you are going to love it.

Nice! More info, pics and video please!!

I'm going on vacation next week so it'll be a few weekends sadly before I get anything really going. I'm going to try to get everything off/loose before I head out next Friday.

What I'm doing/specs are:

Weiand Stealth Dual Plane

AFR Enforcer heads - It's a new line they came out with and they're cast instead of being CNC so it's cheaper than their others but everything that comes with them they also put in their top line.

COMP XE266 Cam - I played around for hours on COMPs cam selector, playing around with different grinds, different lines, different heads - stock E7s, AFR Enforcers, AFR 185s. I highlighted the best in each category I had: HP, Torque, lowest RPMs, Average HP/FT-LBS. It won in at least 1 category with the different head selection, but with the Enforcers it won every category but HP, and the winner beat it by 5hp.

Ford Performance Roller Lifters

COMP Double Roller Timing Chain

COMP Full Roller Rockers

Stock Bottom End - I'll be doing leak down to make sure but with how many miles it has on the engine, I'm just going to leave it. With the factory ratio and these new heads with a smaller chamber should be around 9.3 compression.

I'm going on vacation next week so it'll be a few weekends sadly before I get anything really going. I'm going to try to get everything off/loose before I head out next Friday.

What I'm doing/specs are:

Weiand Stealth Dual Plane

AFR Enforcer heads - It's a new line they came out with and they're cast instead of being CNC so it's cheaper than their others but everything that comes with them they also put in their top line.

COMP XE266 Cam - I played around for hours on COMPs cam selector, playing around with different grinds, different lines, different heads - stock E7s, AFR Enforcers, AFR 185s. I highlighted the best in each category I had: HP, Torque, lowest RPMs, Average HP/FT-LBS. It won in at least 1 category with the different head selection, but with the Enforcers it won every category but HP, and the winner beat it by 5hp.

Ford Performance Roller Lifters

COMP Double Roller Timing Chain

COMP Full Roller Rockers

Stock Bottom End - I'll be doing leak down to make sure but with how many miles it has on the engine, I'm just going to leave it. With the factory ratio and these new heads with a smaller chamber should be around 9.3 compression.

I was loving the build until I got to the compression ratio. I think you are giving away a lot of power by staying with 9.3:1. That's because aluminum heads cool the mix so well you can run almost a full point more of compression with the same fuel.

So with those heads I'd want ~10.0:1 or maybe a bit more. It'll give you effectively 9+:1, but the setup you spec'd is going to be more like 8.3:1 IOW, stock.

I was loving the build until I got to the compression ratio. I think you are giving away a lot of power by staying with 9.3:1. That's because aluminum heads cool the mix so well you can run almost a full point more of compression with the same fuel.

So with those heads I'd want ~10.0:1 or maybe a bit more. It'll give you effectively 9+:1, but the setup you spec'd is going to be more like 8.3:1 IOW, stock.

I didn't realize you'd effectively lose some, I always knew you could run a bit more and have the same gas but didn't know it would lessen what you have.

I've also been thinking about doing pistons to get an increase in general. I know it helps a bunch. Might sit down and see what a kit might cost.

I didn't realize you'd effectively lose some, I always knew you could run a bit more and have the same gas but didn't know it would lessen what you have.

I've also been thinking about doing pistons to get an increase in general. I know it helps a bunch. Might sit down and see what a kit might cost.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Gary here.

You're not losing power with aluminum heads, but you are leaving something on the table because their better heat dissipation will allow the engine to tolerate more compression before it starts knocking. (with optimal advance and whatever coolant temp)

Maybe I completely misunderstand , but I do not think that an aluminum head is going to inhibit how much volume is created from a fixed volume of charge.

Though with better ports and valves you'll get better filling regardless the material the heads are made of.

It is that pressure pushing down the piston that makes power.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Gary here.

You're not losing power with aluminum heads, but you are leaving something on the table because their better heat dissipation will allow the engine to tolerate more compression before it starts knocking. (with optimal advance and whatever coolant temp)

Maybe I completely misunderstand , but I do not think that an aluminum head is going to inhibit how much volume is created from a fixed volume of charge.

Though with better ports and valves you'll get better filling regardless the material the heads are made of.

It is that pressure pushing down the piston that makes power.

Well, what I said was poorly worded. What Jim said is well worded.

You won’t be losing compression. You will be leaving power “on the table” as it were.

:nabble_smiley_cry: