Bullnose Forum

new wheels coming. full lock clearance question

hello everyone,

a quick question for you helpful folk!

was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to please let me know how much clearance there is between the stock wheel/tire (81' F-250) and the suspension at full lock?

am about to order myself some new wheels. -i live in the UK and 16.5" tyres are almost impossible to get. changing to 16" wheels (am thinking 265/75/16 7.5") - and am trying to work out what offset i need.

can't do this myself as the truck currently has no gas tank/carb/battery/all that other good stuff that makes it run, and is parked with the wheels right up against the kurb. - pushing it out the question as well, as it's a 5000lb RV.

Thank you!

Afternoon! Hope your weather is better than ours here in Okiehoma. It feels like we are on Old Blighty - it is 50F and rainy. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Anyway, let me see if I understand the question. You want to change to 16" wheels, but are planning to change to a larger tire? Otherwise why not go back with the stock offset?

As for measuring, I can't 'cause my F250 has a different front axle and different wheels from stock. But maybe someone else can?

Afternoon! Hope your weather is better than ours here in Okiehoma. It feels like we are on Old Blighty - it is 50F and rainy. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Anyway, let me see if I understand the question. You want to change to 16" wheels, but are planning to change to a larger tire? Otherwise why not go back with the stock offset?

As for measuring, I can't 'cause my F250 has a different front axle and different wheels from stock. But maybe someone else can?

Hi Gary,

Yeah weather here's actually been pretty beautiful of late, which has been no small mercy, as I've had to put a new roof on the old girl, and have spent the sunshine time doing so!roof.thumb.jpeg.06318834aa64e70034f424e124092647.jpeg

Yeah, am going for wider tires 265/75 so will ask for the new wheels to be made a bit wider (7.5") to account for the extra rubber.

Have put the new dimensions in a tire calculator and it comes out as being 9.5mm further inboard/outboard, (keeping the original offset). Which i wouldn't imagine to be a problem. However just thought i'd check it's not already really tight in there as otherwise i'd feel like a bit of an idiot splashing out on some expensive rims that don't fit properly.

offset1.png.d1a735941077a10591352d3c7ed6d0a6.png

Hi Gary,

Yeah weather here's actually been pretty beautiful of late, which has been no small mercy, as I've had to put a new roof on the old girl, and have spent the sunshine time doing so!

Yeah, am going for wider tires 265/75 so will ask for the new wheels to be made a bit wider (7.5") to account for the extra rubber.

Have put the new dimensions in a tire calculator and it comes out as being 9.5mm further inboard/outboard, (keeping the original offset). Which i wouldn't imagine to be a problem. However just thought i'd check it's not already really tight in there as otherwise i'd feel like a bit of an idiot splashing out on some expensive rims that don't fit properly.

It is a good question to ask, for sure. Hopefully someone will come along that knows, soon.

And the weather does look delightful. Glad you had it for that roofing job, which looks like you've done quite well. :nabble_smiley_good:

It is a good question to ask, for sure. Hopefully someone will come along that knows, soon.

And the weather does look delightful. Glad you had it for that roofing job, which looks like you've done quite well. :nabble_smiley_good:

I guess the question is what front axle is in the camper?

I have a D44 HD and the stock 235/85-R16 tires rub the spring savers at full lock.

I'm also really stupid and don't understand the difference between offset and backspacing.

So, maybe someone can dumb it down for me?

I have a D44 HD and the stock 235/85-R16 tires rub the spring savers at full lock.

I'm also really stupid and don't understand the difference between offset and backspacing.

Here you go Jim, https://www.wheelfire.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-offset-and-backspacing/

I still don't understand backspacing, but maybe you can make sense of the article...:nabble_anim_confused:

Hi Jim,

It's a 2WD. So no front axle so to speak.

Here you go Jim, https://www.wheelfire.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-offset-and-backspacing/

I still don't understand backspacing, but maybe you can make sense of the article...:nabble_anim_confused:

thanks. have spent the last two days reading 100 of these! still struggling!

as i understand it, when installing a wider wheel you may have to adjust the offset to push the wheel further out, so as not to foul the suspension when turning.

however what im still not clear on, is in the event that you the extra width doesn't foul anything, do you still need to adjust the offset or is the new setup ok just splitting the extra width 50/50?:nabble_anim_confused:

-maybe this article will be the charm!

thanks. have spent the last two days reading 100 of these! still struggling!

as i understand it, when installing a wider wheel you may have to adjust the offset to push the wheel further out, so as not to foul the suspension when turning.

however what im still not clear on, is in the event that you the extra width doesn't foul anything, do you still need to adjust the offset or is the new setup ok just splitting the extra width 50/50?:nabble_anim_confused:

-maybe this article will be the charm!

offset2.png.f3d9fc5191905e8f818301bc2131d5ee.png

or maybe just pushing the increased width 'out' is preferable?